Author Topic: Liberman  (Read 215715 times)

initially_yours

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • My official site
Re: Liberman
« Reply #315 on: August 11, 2015, 08:51:40 pm »
Vanessa preforming "Nothing where something used to be" on people.com!
http://www.people.com/people/videos/0,,20943523,00.html

Thanks for this. And on the same site, an interview with Vanessa about Liberman: http://www.people.com/people/videos/0,,20943514,00.html
Musician, filmmaker, writer: http://www.theaaronchan.com

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 12, 2015, 10:15:35 am »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing those videos, guys. Vanessa's voice sounds amazing in the Nothing Where Something Used To Be video. And she looks amazing, too. Love the winged liner.

fantastical

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2015, 12:13:49 pm »
For those who've heard the album version of Operator, has anyone else noticed the extreme similarities between Take It Easy? It must be the production. Seriously you should listen to the Operator album version and then Take It Easy right after. The intro is basicly an interlude. The whole vibe actually.

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2015, 04:42:03 pm »
For those who've heard the album version of Operator, has anyone else noticed the extreme similarities between Take It Easy? It must be the production. Seriously you should listen to the Operator album version and then Take It Easy right after. The intro is basicly an interlude. The whole vibe actually.

yes, the first time i heard operator i was like "wait, that sounds familiar". but ive realized its because both songs are based on the same chords (Bm D G Em).

fantastical

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:36 pm »
I must admit, I'm very disappointed with the studio version of Take It Easy. I've always loved the live performances. That tweaky sound sample she uses. You could call it 'atmospheric electro'. It's still there in the album version but very subdued, buried underneath it all. I wonder if John had something to do with this... Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but V mentioned that he did added some guitar on it and it's pretty prominent, you can't deny that.

I just really wish it sounded more like the live performances. Just piano, the tweaky sample loop and Skye's lovely contribution of course.

MrMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2015, 08:36:48 pm »
I must admit, I'm very disappointed with the studio version of Take It Easy. I've always loved the live performances. That tweaky sound sample she uses. You could call it 'atmospheric electro'. It's still there in the album version but very subdued, buried underneath it all. I wonder if John had something to do with this... Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but V mentioned that he did added some guitar on it and it's pretty prominent, you can't deny that.

I just really wish it sounded more like the live performances. Just piano, the tweaky sample loop and Skye's lovely contribution of course.

to be honest i barely notice the guitar in it

private-radio

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 17, 2015, 03:58:12 am »

I completely agree !

Personally I had not noticed TIE and O were so similar. I have never liked Take It Easy anyway. But Operator makes me feel so good.

I am looking forward to listening to the album.

Nothing Where Something used to be is also a very good song. My favorite one of the EP so far.

I am waiting for House Of Seven Swords, Unlock The Lock, Willows and River above all.

We are not sure about the tracklist. I hope there would be more new songs. I don't like A Matter Of Time come to that.

But what worries me is how the voice is dealt on the disc. I really hate her voice on Young Heart and Blue Pool whereas the songs could have been absolutely perfect.  

We will see.

But anyway I am still in love of her music. I really like how she has evolved since ATM.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:44:14 pm by private-radio »
We should go, go...

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2015, 10:07:13 am »

You know, I totally felt the same when the EP came out. Take it Easy was probably(ah it's so hard to pick just ONE) my favourite out of all the live songs that Vanessa had played. I especially loved the live intro to the song. The 'atmospheric electro', like you said. It's hard to describe! I described it to one of my friends as 'it sounds like stars'. I know it doesn't make sense, but whatever. Like you said, you can kind of still hear it, but it seems like it's 'underneath' all the other sounds. As for the guitar(I actually thought it was a trumpet at first lol), I wasn't the biggest fan at first either.

I have to say though, the studio version reeeeaally grew on me. I just want to melt in it. It's so dreamy, and atmospheric and beautiful. Like the live version, but in a different way. Now I'm really glad that we have both.

I wonder how the 'live living room session' of Take it Easy will sound!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 10:24:35 am by coldyoungheart »

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 17, 2015, 10:10:41 am »
But what worries me is how the voice is dealt on the disc. I really hate her voice on Young Heart and Blue Pool whereas the songs would have been absolutely perfect. 

We will see.

But anyway I am still in love of her music. I really like how she has evolved since ATM.

That's too bad! Personally I loooooove the way her voice sounds in those songs!

At least you have the 'live living room session' version of the songs to look forward to :)

Fred_Saboya

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 17, 2015, 10:28:49 am »
take it easy is my favorite so far! god, the "take it easy" part on the first chorus is just right! i mean when i hear that im like "WTF, THANK YOU SO MUCH!" the orchestration is flawless, everything is very chill and low key. thats exactly how i want it. perfect, V!

what i love about the songs is that i feel like she wrote them with the studio version in mind. the living room version of Operator sounded weird to me at first, but when i heard the studio version it made much more sense. the songs are how they are meant to be i guess.

but i see what you guys mean. its different, not what we're used to. but i love the direction she's taking. it will grow on you guys, just give it time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 10:33:38 am by Fred_Saboya »

private-radio

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 17, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »
http://www.americansongwriter.com/2015/08/writer-week-vanessa-carlton/

Very good interview !
"If I do another album" she says. I hope so !! She wants to see me die otherwise ! ;)
After that can't wait for the studio version of NWSUTB and A Matter Of Time with girls and guitar... Mmm it is likely to be very different from the song we know. And for the best I hope because as I said I loathe the song.

And I was wondering coldyoungheart, are we sure to hear a "living room" version of Take It Easy ? I thought this session had just been recorded for the EP.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:49:28 pm by private-radio »
We should go, go...

MrMoon

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2015, 08:06:15 pm »

And I was wondering coldyoungheart, are we sure to hear a "living room" version of Take It Easy ? I thought this session had just been recorded for the EP.

yes! she said somewhere else she recorded the whole album live and stripped down for the deluxe version.

fantastical

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:12 am »

You know, I totally felt the same when the EP came out. Take it Easy was probably(ah it's so hard to pick just ONE) my favourite out of all the live songs that Vanessa had played. I especially loved the live intro to the song. The 'atmospheric electro', like you said. It's hard to describe! I described it to one of my friends as 'it sounds like stars'. I know it doesn't make sense, but whatever. Like you said, you can kind of still hear it, but it seems like it's 'underneath' all the other sounds. As for the guitar(I actually thought it was a trumpet at first lol), I wasn't the biggest fan at first either.

I have to say though, the studio version reeeeaally grew on me. I just want to melt in it. It's so dreamy, and atmospheric and beautiful. Like the live version, but in a different way. Now I'm really glad that we have both.

I wonder how the 'live living room session' of Take it Easy will sound!

That's absolutely true. We have both versions now. I really really do hope that the 'live living room' version of Take It Easy has Skye's violin on it but I kinda doubt it. It will be just her and the piano like the other songs, which isn't a bad thing at all but I just LOVE the violin. Like the live version of Blue Pool is SO beautiful.

fantastical

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 18, 2015, 10:02:18 am »
I completely agree !

Personally I had not noticed TIE and O were so similar. I have never liked Take It Easy anyway. But Operator makes me feel so good.

I am looking forward to listening to the album.

Nothing Where Something used to be is also a very good song. My favorite one of the EP so far.

I am waiting for House Of Seven Swords, Unlock The Lock, Willows and River above all.

We are not sure about the tracklist. I hope there would be more new songs. I don't like A Matter Of Time come to that.

But what worries me is how the voice is dealt on the disc. I really hate her voice on Young Heart and Blue Pool whereas the songs could have been absolutely perfect.  

We will see.

I personally dislike her take on guitar driven songs (Dear California is an exception though). Like what you mentioned, A Matter of Time and Young Heart... gag. It's inspired because of John but like I said before I have nothing against the guy BUT Vanessa radiates on her piano driven songs. That's why we became fans in the first place. So it's just awry to me that she's trying new things and venturing other paths. Stick to what you know V. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #329 on: August 18, 2015, 10:05:59 am »
"Nothing Where Something Used To Be" just screams 'HIT' to me. It's beautiful and written in a way that can connect to the masses. "Matter of Time" is the same too, so I'm not surprised Vanessa has commented on that and picked it up.

Really looking forward to this record. As it stands, I didn't think she could top 'Rabbits on the Run' but I'm starting to think I could be wrong.