Author Topic: Liberman  (Read 215840 times)

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
Re: Liberman
« Reply #465 on: October 14, 2015, 05:27:27 am »
I remember Starbucks did this four years ago when Rabbits was about to come out

right, I wonder what other songs are on that playlist other than Blue Pool.

fantastical

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 14, 2015, 09:48:15 am »
Amazing video. It's really beautiful, the director did an amazing job. The colors and everything, it almost feels like a David Fincher movie. I actually didn't expect Vanessa to be in it, which was a GREAT surprise! And love the studio version of the song. I really do believe it can do well on the charts or whatever. It has a great hook and sounds like something people might like to hear these days on the radio while it's still very Vanessa. Could this be her most radio-friendly song since the BNN era? I believe so.

True.

imo this has potential HIT written all over it. She could make a decent comeback with Operator. If they can play Lorde on the radio then this can definitely move up the charts if they're smart enough to give it an actual add date and send it to radio.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:15:54 am by fantastical »

private-radio

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 14, 2015, 11:56:21 am »
Amazing video. It's really beautiful, the director did an amazing job. The colors and everything, it almost feels like a David Fincher movie. I actually didn't expect Vanessa to be in it, which was a GREAT surprise! And love the studio version of the song. I really do believe it can do well on the charts or whatever. It has a great hook and sounds like something people might like to hear these days on the radio while it's still very Vanessa. Could this be her most radio-friendly song since the BNN era? I believe so.

I disagree.  :-*
It is hard to understand why she has never managed to be commercially successful again since BNN. White House, Who’s To Say, Nolita Fairytale, Hands On Me or even Carousel were radio-friendly songs.
To me her early years are a genuine burden for her career. Let me explain. Her problem is the targeted public. People have only kept in mind A Thousand Miles, the girl with the piano, a very mainstream, commercial and annoying song. So people who could however enjoy her new stuff are not really interested in her. Why should they listen to this Michelle Branch- Sara Bareilles- or Kate Voegele-like girl? She suffers from a lack of credibility even if her new songs are enjoyable.
And on the contrary the first fans don’t recognize themselves in her new stuff far from her hits and her first album.
She is just missing her public because she is trapped into an in-between situation.
The album tends out to be brilliant, subtle and well-thought. But I don’t think this album could put Vanessa back on the road to success. It is unfair because she deserves it. She deserves one Grammy per year for her huge talent !
We should go, go...

lavender skies

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 14, 2015, 02:21:32 pm »
^I totally agree. I'm also still unsure why White Houses didn't do as well as I believe it should have. Perhaps because MTV banned the vid and TRL was the way for people to experience new music? In 2003/04 iTunes existed, but wasn't huge until like 2005 or so. I still remember the first time I heard WH. It was on the radio and I was struck by it. I was only 14 at the time, but I could still relate to it even then. And now at 25 it's still my most played song ever. It means so much to me and has helped me through any bad time in my life with friends or boyfriends.

I think Vanessa came out at a great time, but her singles did fit into a certain niche. Besides WH and WTS I think that Harmonium was too "dark" for the general public that listened to the radio at the time. I actually think Harmonium could be really successful if released now. I will always cherish Heroes and I cannot for the life of me not understand why Hands and The One and Fools Like Me didn't get more (if any) airplay. Maybe a generic Top 40 station wouldn't, but there are a ton of stations that would.

I think commercial success is not really in the pic for V, but I think she's realized that for a while. I also hate when I choose Vanessa Carlton radio on Pandora artists like Avril Lavigne come up.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:27:32 pm by lavender skies »

fantastical

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 15, 2015, 11:27:34 am »
^I totally agree. I'm also still unsure why White Houses didn't do as well as I believe it should have. Perhaps because MTV banned the vid and TRL was the way for people to experience new music? In 2003/04 iTunes existed, but wasn't huge until like 2005 or so. I still remember the first time I heard WH. It was on the radio and I was struck by it. I was only 14 at the time, but I could still relate to it even then. And now at 25 it's still my most played song ever. It means so much to me and has helped me through any bad time in my life with friends or boyfriends.

I think Vanessa came out at a great time, but her singles did fit into a certain niche. Besides WH and WTS I think that Harmonium was too "dark" for the general public that listened to the radio at the time. I actually think Harmonium could be really successful if released now. I will always cherish Heroes and I cannot for the life of me not understand why Hands and The One and Fools Like Me didn't get more (if any) airplay. Maybe a generic Top 40 station wouldn't, but there are a ton of stations that would.

I think commercial success is not really in the pic for V, but I think she's realized that for a while. I also hate when I choose Vanessa Carlton radio on Pandora artists like Avril Lavigne come up.

If they would have released Private Radio as the first single of off Harmonium as originally planned we wouldn't be where we are right now with her career. In other words, that song would have catched on and the whole era would have turned out different and could have been a success.

The singles should have gone like this;

1. Private Radio

2. White Houses (re-recording the 'blood' part for radio and music video)

3. Who's to Say!!

Or release Who's to Say as the second single and White Houses as third.

(4. A toss up between San Francisco and Afterglow as the final single.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:54:05 am by fantastical »

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #470 on: October 15, 2015, 01:00:12 pm »
New interview and pics up on Ladygunn!

http://ladygunn.com/music/vanessa-carlton

Alex0821

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 15, 2015, 01:41:45 pm »

Great interview, and the photos are spectacular!

Love this one:

Check out my newest piano instrumentals, "Willows" and "Blue Pool"!

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #472 on: October 15, 2015, 03:01:48 pm »

gaaaasp. these are gorgeous!!
formerly fish_for__stars.

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 15, 2015, 04:12:33 pm »
Great interview, and AMAZING photoshoot!

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #474 on: October 16, 2015, 08:06:38 am »
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

Alex0821

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #475 on: October 16, 2015, 08:27:51 am »

Pushglow

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 16, 2015, 10:10:11 am »
This is it! 8)

Edit :
Wait what? Why aren't they already 100 posts after mine, the hype has really decreased the past couple of weeks. Well, it's obvious because we already had half the studio songs and heard the other half in live...

Here are some of my highlights :
- Operator / Moneymaker : my favorite. It's me or this song almost didn't make it before the album got delayed? It would have been a shame to not release it (Hello Best Behavior!).
- House Of Seven Swords : Nice track. Very haunting with the long outro.
- Nothing Where Something Used To Be : in my opinion, this song sounded like a filler when I listened to the live version. I was wrong, this song is superb. Kinda Coldplay-ish in some parts.
- Matter of Time : yeah, that's the filler for me. Not bad, but no piano so I will often skip it
- Unlock the Lock : this track sounds like it was made during the Harmonium era, but was then remastered for the Liberman vibe.
- River : loved the live version, kinda disappointed with the studio arrangement. I will wait for the studio live version.
- Ascension : Well... it's an outro song like In The End. I probably won't listen it too much.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:51:43 am by Pushglow »

AG.

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #477 on: October 17, 2015, 12:16:57 am »
Is it just me waiting for the official release date? Somehow I can't make myself listen to the song just yet, I've exercise a lot of self restraint in not listening to the majority of the live recordings, just so I could hopefully avoid falling in love with them and then being disappointed/feel differently about the studio versions.

The only official releases I've listened to are the songs on Blue Pool, and although it doesn't seem to have gotten glowing reviews as of yet, I'm most excited for A Matter of Time (possibly because I love John's music and can't wait to hear his contribution on the album)

Expect a full and gushing review in a few days from me! Until then, can't wait to hear more of your opinions, guys!!

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 17, 2015, 03:22:50 am »
"House of Seven Swords" has been in my head literally since I listened to it yesterday haha. the way she sings "that's the way it is, looove" is very pretty and kind of chilling. It's hard to explain. It's definitely my favorite of the songs we hadn't already heard.

[sobriquet]

• Fine as dandelions
  • And love comes back around again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 17, 2015, 07:59:58 am »
This is it! 8)

Edit :
Wait what? Why aren't they already 100 posts after mine, the hype has really decreased the past couple of weeks. Well, it's obvious because we already had half the studio songs and heard the other half in live...

Here are some of my highlights :
- Operator / Moneymaker : my favorite. It's me or this song almost didn't make it before the album got delayed? It would have been a shame to not release it (Hello Best Behavior!).
- House Of Seven Swords : Nice track. Very haunting with the long outro.
- Nothing Where Something Used To Be : in my opinion, this song sounded like a filler when I listened to the live version. I was wrong, this song is superb. Kinda Coldplay-ish in some parts.
- Matter of Time : yeah, that's the filler for me. Not bad, but no piano so I will often skip it
- Unlock the Lock : this track sounds like it was made during the Harmonium era, but was then remastered for the Liberman vibe.
- River : loved the live version, kinda disappointed with the studio arrangement. I will wait for the studio live version.
- Ascension : Well... it's an outro song like In The End. I probably won't listen it too much.

I think Matter of Time isn't supposed to be a filler, but more of a transition. But then, after it was Unlock the Lock, which is more close sonically to the first half of the record (Take It Easy up to Nothing Where Something Used to Be). Actually, I believe that if Unlock the Lock was moved to the first half and Matter of Time, River, (House of Seven Swords), Ascension followed one another, the transition would have been smooth.

But then, I personally wish that You Heart made it to the record, as to provide a sort of accompanying piece to Matter of Time in the guitar-based songs.

But then, I love Liberman, every single track from it. It does take me to another world.

EDIT: And how I love River. The slow pacing at the beginning reminds of an idyllic day, where you walk beside the river, 8-bit video style. The grandness of the sound later on just reminds me of overflowing, until it ends with the quiet end, as if the river finally goes back to its normal level.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:04:49 am by [sobriquet] »

Floating on the sea, stars are watching me. Currents take me out, what will be will be.