Author Topic: Liberman  (Read 215721 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Liberman
« Reply #495 on: October 19, 2015, 04:23:54 pm »
I remember Starbucks did this four years ago when Rabbits was about to come out

right, I wonder what other songs are on that playlist other than Blue Pool.

I remember sitting in starbucks for hours just to see if her songs came on.  I first heard Dear California this way.
~Sara~

Alex0821

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 19, 2015, 04:40:13 pm »
Liberman has a better production, I believe, though there are more individual songs I'm kind of lukewarm about. But I've only listened to some of them once, so when the album comes out I'll really give it all a full listen and do a track-by-track review as well :)

May I ask which ones you are lukewarm about?

And if so, which ones are you lukewarm about?  :P

Basically all the new ones haha. "Unlock the Lock," "Matter of Time," "River," "Ascension." I also don't love "Take it Easy," mostly because the first entire minute is nothing haha.

I'm sure they'll grow on me with time, but I loved "Young Heart," "Willows," and the living room session of "NWSUTB" after just one listen.

Edit: I'm listening to "Unlock the Lock" a second time, and the harmonies in the chorus are SO spectacular, I might take it off the lukewarm list. Haha!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:48:25 pm by Alex0821 »
Check out my newest piano instrumentals, "Willows" and "Blue Pool"!

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 19, 2015, 10:01:57 pm »
Liberman has a better production, I believe, though there are more individual songs I'm kind of lukewarm about. But I've only listened to some of them once, so when the album comes out I'll really give it all a full listen and do a track-by-track review as well :)

May I ask which ones you are lukewarm about?

And if so, which ones are you lukewarm about?  :P

Basically all the new ones haha. "Unlock the Lock," "Matter of Time," "River," "Ascension." I also don't love "Take it Easy," mostly because the first entire minute is nothing haha.

I'm sure they'll grow on me with time, but I loved "Young Heart," "Willows," and the living room session of "NWSUTB" after just one listen.

Edit: I'm listening to "Unlock the Lock" a second time, and the harmonies in the chorus are SO spectacular, I might take it off the lukewarm list. Haha!

what! matter of time and river are two of my favorites! willows is also grand. im surprised you don't like the intro to take it easy -- though i will say the first time i heard that song i was a bit disappointed about how the intro faded when vanessa's vocal started. ascension i also find fascinating because the chords she uses seem to allow for multiple melodic interpretations, and they play with my ears.

river, i think, is my current favorite. the song sounds like a river to me.. starting of flowing serenely, and then gaining rapids in the chorus, then mellowing out again and winding a bit...

coyote_revolver

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 20, 2015, 01:29:36 pm »
The album is available for online STREAMING!
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/16/vanessa-carlton-liberman-album-stream

I'll probably listen to it since I plan to order a physical copy and it'll take a while to arrive to my country...

MrMoon

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 20, 2015, 01:45:35 pm »

I'll probably listen to it since I plan to order a physical copy and it'll take a while to arrive to my country...

we've all been listening from that source =P

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 20, 2015, 02:23:58 pm »
Has anybody noticed how hard it is to find an "official" review of the album? I'm not sure if there is some intentional timing behind this, or if it's a red flag that this album is getting no critical attention. But usually new album reviews are posted in advance of the actual release date? Maybe I have not been keeping up with the music industry. But, for instance, Joanna Newsom is releasing an album on the 23rd as well, and yet it is easy to find 10 reviews for hers...

Why nothing for V? Seems suspicious.

coyote_revolver

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 20, 2015, 02:55:54 pm »

we've all been listening from that source =P

LOL sorry, sometimes is hard to keep up with the convo on these threads

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 20, 2015, 08:33:30 pm »
She's a very indie release at this point and it's not like Billboard and Rollingstone have her on high priority to review.  I'm sure BB will post a review on Friday.  I was hoping for some TV appearances but that doesn't look like it's going to happen with her in Japan until the albums out and then a tour right after she gets back.  Maybe early next year when she announces the other dates?
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 20, 2015, 11:32:52 pm »

darren1711

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 21, 2015, 02:38:53 am »
Pitchfork just posted a review!

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21173-liberman/

Yay!! Good one to. The album seems to be getting a bit of attention now, which is encouraging. Although it still cracks me up that seemingly everyone of them is going to reference ATM in the first paragraph.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:21:40 am by darren1711 »

Alex0821

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 21, 2015, 03:33:16 am »
Great Pitchfork writeup. I love what he says about Vanessa's confidence in this album. She comes off as very worldly, I think. Particularly in songs "Blue Pool" where she portrays this older washed-up celebrity (that's the story, right?), "Take it Easy" and "House of Seven Swords" where she seems to be giving advice to someone younger about how the world works, and "Operator" where she portrays an older woman seducing a younger man. Even "NWSUTB" approaches a breakup with more wisdom than most songs do. If you want to call me, just do it. That's actually very adult.

We've all been calling Liberman "mature" and I was never really sure why, but this review made me think about how true that really is.
Check out my newest piano instrumentals, "Willows" and "Blue Pool"!

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #506 on: October 21, 2015, 06:30:14 am »

from pitchfork? that's a fantastic review :) am delighted. i think we should see these rolling in soon
formerly fish_for__stars.

darren1711

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 21, 2015, 10:51:05 am »
Great Pitchfork writeup. I love what he says about Vanessa's confidence in this album. She comes off as very worldly, I think. Particularly in songs "Blue Pool" where she portrays this older washed-up celebrity (that's the story, right?), "Take it Easy" and "House of Seven Swords" where she seems to be giving advice to someone younger about how the world works, and "Operator" where she portrays an older woman seducing a younger man. Even "NWSUTB" approaches a breakup with more wisdom than most songs do. If you want to call me, just do it. That's actually very adult.

We've all been calling Liberman "mature" and I was never really sure why, but this review made me think about how true that really is.

Very true, the review was really smart. I think you've really hit the nail on the head with your analysis here. It's definitely her most mature record. I think the improvements in her vocals really help here also. Her voice really sells the wisdom and one of the albums biggest strengths is how well she is able to use her voice as an instrument now.

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 21, 2015, 02:11:33 pm »

from pitchfork? that's a fantastic review :) am delighted. i think we should see these rolling in soon

Amazing, right? This is huge. It looks like this is the first-ever VC album reviewed by Pitchfork, and the author himself, Matthew Schnipper, said on twitter that he was

Super happy to have reviewed the excellent new @VanessaCarlton album!!!! First time I ever reviewed an album tbh!!!!

There are murmurings about a "Pitchfork Effect" -- here's hoping V gets a nice little boost.  ;D

me and my piano---tim

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 21, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »

Very true, the review was really smart. I think you've really hit the nail on the head with your analysis here. It's definitely her most mature record. I think the improvements in her vocals really help here also. Her voice really sells the wisdom and one of the albums biggest strengths is how well she is able to use her voice as an instrument now.

For sure. Her voice really does "sell the wisdom" this time around. Before this album, I thought her voice was her biggest weakness. Now it seems like her biggest strength, like she's not leaning as much on her piano. And yet she still has some of her best piano work in this album