Author Topic: Liberman  (Read 215737 times)

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Liberman
« Reply #540 on: October 27, 2015, 06:09:50 am »
FINALLY GOT THE CD.

Required a bit of running around to the USPS offices yesterday but worth it.

Don't know if anyone noticed that the artwork inside (if you lift the CD) is a replica (of sorts) of the painting (by Vanessa's grandfather) but done by Jo Ratcliffe - the artist who did the album art for ROTR and this album as well.
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

Alex0821

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 27, 2015, 01:41:45 pm »
While I love some songs on rabbits, it was always my least favorite album--proably because it was so different than her previous work. Her old versions of FWF were my favorite and I didn't like the dreamy vibe of this. But his album. It's perfect. I know sales wise it's not expected for much but if V still lurks around here I hope she knows what a dream record this is. It's the perfect time for it and it's hauntingly beautiful. My bro works for buzzfeed and I think I convinced him to do a review of the album for some extra publicity.

Is this it? http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/fyi-this-is-what-vanessa-carlton-is-up-to-these-days#.xg1B0nyzL

I mean it could be a little longer, but I don't think BF is known for its long-form journalism ;)
Check out my newest piano instrumentals, "Willows" and "Blue Pool"!

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: October 27, 2015, 04:51:50 pm »
FINALLY GOT THE CD.

Required a bit of running around to the USPS offices yesterday but worth it.

Don't know if anyone noticed that the artwork inside (if you lift the CD) is a replica (of sorts) of the painting (by Vanessa's grandfather) but done by Jo Ratcliffe - the artist who did the album art for ROTR and this album as well.

yes I did notice that.  also the artwork on her twitter page at one point, not sure if it still is or if you can only see it on computer view.  I remember the colors thinking they were unlike ROTR error colors (dark)
~Sara~

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 01, 2015, 12:19:25 pm »

Does anyone else think it is odd that Vanessa used the racial slur "g****" in River?

I understand it that does not have the same weight in the USA as it does in Europe, but it is still a racial slur. I find it really odd. Like does she actually just not know? 

I really like River, but every time I hear that lyric I cringe.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:18:43 pm by _all_is_well_ »

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 01, 2015, 01:55:18 pm »

Does anyone else think it is odd that Vanessa used the racial slur "g****" in River?

I understand it that does not have the same weight in the USA as it does in Europe, but it is still a racial slur. I find it really odd. Like does she actually just not know?  

Glad you brought this up, it's important. However, my guess is that she didn't know. Personally, I didn't know it was a slur until I read your comment and I Googled it. I mean, obviously I know about the oppression Romani people suffer in Europe, but in North America(as far as I know), the word 'gypsy' doesn't have the same negative connotation that it has in Europe... yet.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:37:48 pm by coldyoungheart »

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 01, 2015, 02:10:12 pm »

I was wondering if anyone would bring this up. Some people had the same conversation when Lady Gaga came out with a song called "Gypsy" in 2013. You're right, that word doesn't have nearly the weight of other slurs in the US; there aren't nearly as many people here who are bothered by it as who are bothered by the N-word, the F-word, etc. I didn't even know it was a slur until that song came out. I'm sure neither artist meant harm by it (but I understand that's scant comfort).

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 01, 2015, 03:08:10 pm »

I was wondering if anyone would bring this up. Some people had the same conversation when Lady Gaga came out with a song called "Gypsy" in 2013. You're right, that word doesn't have nearly the weight of other slurs in the US; there aren't nearly as many people here who are bothered by it as who are bothered by the N-word, the F-word, etc. I didn't even know it was a slur until that song came out. I'm sure neither artist meant harm by it (but I understand that's scant comfort).

Yeah, I definitely don't think she meant harm by it. I won't hold it against her. I just hope other people won't catch on to it and make a stink. It is unfortunate that the word is forever immortalized in the studio recording though.

Live, she could easily replace it with some other word if/when she realizes the negative connotations. Maybe "nomad" or something, and it would convey the meaning (I think) she is getting at. The studio version is forever though, which is why I think it is weird no one said anything to her before it got released. I guess both of you that replied are right, and that a lot of people just don't know.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 01, 2015, 07:59:44 pm »
Hilary Duff has a song named Gypsy Woman...if it didn't cause a stink with her, I'm sure it won't with V...I really hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it.   Doesn't Cher have a song that mentions it to?
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: November 02, 2015, 12:38:50 am »
I did not know this.  when I hear it I think: always moving, traveler, wordly, mysterious, beautiful, exotic.  I didn't realize it was something derogatory, I'm sure she didn't either.  

edit: I also think of someone who is more in tune with the earth and the healing/medicine it can provide.  she has that running theme throughout the album of healers/shamans so I think to her, she means it along very positive lines.  I guess ignorance (specifically my own) of an issue doesn't make it a non-issue.  I myself have a positive reaction to the word but I am not European or of that descent that would be offended.  Good to know
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 05:59:50 pm by sarab »
~Sara~

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 02, 2015, 11:52:25 am »
Same here, sarahb....off topic...does anyone know where the album placed on the Billboard 200?
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Alex0821

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 03, 2015, 11:31:19 am »
Same here, sarahb....off topic...does anyone know where the album placed on the Billboard 200?

It never broke into the top 200.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 03, 2015, 06:42:31 pm »
That sucks to hear. It deserves better.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: November 05, 2015, 06:19:21 pm »
was this posted?

liberman live on radio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0X4bM-v8M

edited to add that skye's harmonization on "nothing where something" is really cute :3
formerly fish_for__stars.

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 06, 2015, 11:56:17 am »
That sucks to hear. It deserves better.

It definitely does deserve better sales wise, but at least it's getting excellent reviews. And anyways, huge sales doesn't seem to be Vanessa's goal. Saw this exchange on Twitter the other day...

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 06, 2015, 11:57:54 am »
was this posted?

liberman live on radio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0X4bM-v8M

edited to add that skye's harmonization on "nothing where something" is really cute :3

https://soundcloud.com/wfpk/vanessa-carlton-on-wfpks-live-lunch-103015

Here you can listen to the interview as well.