Author Topic: Troy Savings Bank Music Hall 12/3/15 review  (Read 5762 times)

sarab

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Troy Savings Bank Music Hall 12/3/15 review
« on: December 04, 2015, 11:23:20 pm »
I made it!  I've got some great friends who helped me out with a sick kiddo so I could get to the show on time AND particapate in the meet and greet!  The show is about 3.5 hrs from my house, so I went 80 the whole way -- watch out!  Also so great to see Ghisy again, it was nice to chat and see a familiar face.  people are always astonished when i say i go to these shows alone but really, i meet so many great people from this site, i know i'm not alone!
Joshua is a great opener.  I wanted to get his CD but I didn't have time, i figured i could find it on itunes or amazon anyway.
When I got there, I checked in with the girl and the merch table, she said to be out at 815 for the meet and greet.  well, little did we know that this was actually a benefit concert so there was a lot of talking in the beginning, so Joshua started 15 minutes later.  I did not feel right walking out of his show in the middle of a song or even in between (but also, he was good i didn't want to miss it) so when i got back out to the merch table the girl was a little stressed out, saying we were supposed to be here 10 minutues ago and Vanessa is supposed to go on in five minutes so it will have to be quick or we might not do it at all.  She was texting with someone, i figure Vanessa, to see if it was okay to bring  us back (me and three other ladies)  So we were able to go and meet her quickly!  She is always so stunning up close and in person!  She warned us she was sick so we didn't shake hands.  I bought the vinyl before the show, so i had her sign it while also blabbering about my kid being sick too (i was trying to get accross the fact that i probably had germs too that i shouldn't share) then said something about tour stress.  i'm an idiot.  but the most not nervous i've ever been.  one of the other ladies asked for a hug, she said no, you really don't want to do that.  One lady knows Vanessa's sister Gwen, apparently her daughter and Gwen were roomoates in college and the lady had been to the Carlton house before.  So they chatted for a second, then they asked for apicture so i scrambled to get my phone out and also got a picture with her.
I didn't do any recording of this show, the set list, as i can remember was:

Carousel w/learning to fly intro
tale tales for spring
white houses
take it easy
willows
house of seven swords
operator
blue pool
Nothing/something
River
ATM
("pretend we walk off, and then walk back in")
Hear the Bells
 Marching line - dedicated to paris and her people - the tempo was slower, more sad, made me tear up

she didn't do too much talking this show, at least it didn't seem like it.  more towards the end, probably because she had finished her wine..
I am surprised at how true to the album the new songs are.  the only song she left stripped down was river.  I haven't listened to any recordings of the shows, and i'm glad i didn't.  what they accomplished on stage (mostly through skye's pedals and computer) is pretty fantastic.  not the shows we are used to seeing.
~Sara~

steve4134

• View Profile
Re: Troy Savings Bank Music Hall 12/3/15 review
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:15:14 am »
12-2 Was recorded and will be out in a couple weeks. I will also be recording next week in fairfield.

Steve

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:19:47 am »
I am so glad you were able to make it.
I hope your little one is feeling better.

Next time, be there when they tell you to!!

coldyoungheart

• Make me high on lullabies
  • hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 09:38:27 pm »
I'm glad that you were able to make it! Sounds like it was a great show :)

Btw, do you think that Vanessa didn't want to give the lady a hug because she was sick? Or because she doesn't really do hugs? I feel bad now because when I met her in Toronto I went straight for a hug without even asking! I hope I didn't make her uncomfortable!

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 12:47:25 pm »
I mean. It must be a little weird to hug people you don't know. I am surprised she comes out after shows having a kid, being on tour and not knowing knowing what kind of germs people have. I have been lucky to have hugs and kisses on the check from her but I never initiate. I follow the lead. I am sure sometimes she feels better than other times.

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 01:50:02 pm »
Yeah. I guess it depends on the person too. Like some celebrities have very different relationships with their fans(ie Taylor Swift, Halsey, etc).Vanessa has always been more reserved.

I feel a little bad now! But there's nothing really I can do about it. I guess that if I ever get the chance to meet her again I'll be more respectful.

private-radio

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 02:15:36 pm »
Don't worry. She gave me a hug whereas I am not used to giving hugs at all. It is really American in fact.
It depends on her mood I guess, it is natural!
We should go, go...

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 08:25:44 pm »
At the Cleveland show, while we were at the merch table waiting in line, this girl in front of Phil went up with her stuff to sign and asked Vanessa for a photo to which Vanessa said she would love to but it would hold up the line and she couldn't do that for everyone. She put it very sweetly and calmly and I appreciated that and then she said, "Well you can take one right now if you want to?". She meant that while the girl was getting her stuff signed maybe her dad or whoever was with her could just take a photo but this girl misunderstood and literally walked AROUND the table over to Vanessa's side and stood behind her and posed for a photo.

It was so weird seeing Vanessa want to say "No, I didn't mean you can come over to this side" but stop herself and kind of decide how to respond to this chick without coming off as rude or bitchy. One of the girls from the merch table came flying in and literally propped up a sign saying "No photos during signing". I completely understood why this had to be done. She didn't have the time to take photos with EVERYONE and granting someone this opportunity would just mean that she would have to do it for everyone.

But it also made me realize that there is a personal space that an artist would want to have and kind of invading it is little I dunno... I guess they need to be respected? Its sad that it may come off as diva-ish but I think at the end of the day their human as well. So, yeah. I'm sure she means well if she's refusing hugs. She also sounded kinda sick in the HuffPo interview. Hope she's doing well.
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 07:05:37 am »
oh I totally get it and never expect a hug even when she's not sick. .. I didn't ask for it, the other lady there did.  I know how she is.. not meaning that in a bad way.  but she did put her arm around me for the picture which I did not expect and appreciated.  I totally understand not wanting to spread germs or get them, especially with children!  and yes, my daughter is feeling better!  just a bad cold luckily.  she already had pneumonia in April, I was hoping it wasn't that again since it's going around her daycare room.
and if I ever get lucky again with a meet and greet you can bet I will be there early, regardless!
~Sara~

Arwen

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 11:22:09 pm »
Thanks for the review! So happy for you that you got to go and won the meet and greet!

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 10:05:05 am »
something I just remembered today that she had said, and I thought was interesting: the live living room sessions/deluxe album were not her idea.  I found that interesting.  she really wanted this album to be the way it is!
~Sara~

coldyoungheart

• hear the bells;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 02:10:10 pm »
Yes, I think that she mentioned in a few interviews that it was her manager's idea.

Whoever's idea it was, it was fantastic! I'm so glad we got those as b-sides.