Author Topic: Jews for Jesus  (Read 4432 times)

David Hart

Jews for Jesus
« on: May 13, 2003, 06:07:27 pm »
Ever been stopped by these people? They ALWAYS stop me and give me pamhlets.

freshlettuce

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - essaychic
    • View Profile
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 06:26:48 pm »
Nope, never been stopped by them.  Although my Mother was in the city  last month and she was stopped twice by Jews, on two separate street corners, and asked if she was Jewish.  As my Mother is not Jewish, she didn’t get to see what was on the flyers these guys were handing out.  I guess she was giving off a Jewish vibe that day?  Could these be the same people?  Or do Jews for Jesus stop everybody, and not just other Jews?  (This occurred around 6th Ave)

David Hart

Jews for Jesus
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 06:47:59 pm »
YES 6th Ave around 40th street right? They always stop me there too! I think those are the hard core hicitics(SP?) Jews for Jesus are just jewish people who believe in Jesus--Go figure.

jessicaweiser

• View Profile
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 07:01:55 pm »
I used to work on 47th and 5th -- the diamond district (ugh, worst job EVER) so I've seen all types of people... and lots of hardcore religious people passing out flyers/bibles/etc.  

NYC is awesome that way, though, you get to see and be exposed to so many different types of people/cultures/etc.

:)

jess

joann

Jews for Jesus
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 06:53:34 am »
Jews For Jesus, an interesting topic. Well, Jews are waiting for the Messiah. Maybe some got tired of waiting and decided that the Messiah had already come. And since some religions are waiting for the second coming of Jesus, if He comes back, the rest of the Jews will get what they are waiting for so........everyone is GOOD!

No?
lol

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 07:13:31 am »
Quote from: "David Hart"
Jews for Jesus are just jewish people who believe in Jesus--Go figure.

After Christ, there was a distinction made between Jewish Christians (Jews who believed that Christ was the Messiah they'd been waiting for) and Gentile Christians (The non-Jewish Christians). So there have always been Jews who believed in Jesus. I imagine that Jews for Jesus are just modern Christians that came from a Jewish line.

But that's a complete guess, I don't know anything about them (I'd never even heard about them until this thread).

-Kev

freshlettuce

• AOL Instant Messenger - essaychic
    • View Profile
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 12:53:51 pm »
David Hart can enlighten us.  Tell us what the pamphlets that they give you state.

David Hart

Jews for Jesus
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 05:23:09 pm »
Ha--The pamphet says:
"Beware of religious fanatics handing out fliers!" It also says:
"The most important thing in my life is_________"
Also:
"Jews for Jesus can show you the path to life"
There is some other stuff in here, but it's a humorous flier...I threw it away though...

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 06:08:42 pm »
Quote from: "kev222"

After Christ, there was a distinction made between Jewish Christians (Jews who believed that Christ was the Messiah they'd been waiting for) and Gentile Christians (The non-Jewish Christians). So there have always been Jews who believed in Jesus. I imagine that Jews for Jesus are just modern Christians that came from a Jewish line.

But that's a complete guess, I don't know anything about them (I'd never even heard about them until this thread).

-Kev

ACTUALLY, (I'm 99% sure) Jews for Jesus, are Jews who accept Jesus as a prophet, but deny his divinity . . .Yep!  Okay now I've convinced myself, I am 100% sure.  Don't tell me I am wrong. :wink:

You may now bow to my all-knowing greatness.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 06:24:48 pm »
Quote from: "TSE"

-Kev

ACTUALLY, (I'm 99% sure) Jews for Jesus, are Jews who accept Jesus as a prophet, but deny his divinity . . .Yep!  Okay now I've convinced myself, I am 100% sure.  Don't tell me I am wrong. :wink:

You may now bow to my all-knowing greatness.

I see, Islam-style. Well mine was still a pretty good guess :-P Don't try and tell me it wasn't ;)

-Kev

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 06:28:27 pm »

I see, Islam-style. Well mine was still a pretty good guess :-P Don't try and tell me it wasn't ;)

-Kev

It was a pretty good guess---nevermind that fact that it was wrong :wink:

I did not see a bow there . . .  :evil:

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2003, 04:56:08 am »
Quote from: "TSE"

-Kev

ty good guess---nevermind that fact that it was wrong :wink:

It was a pretty good guess---nevermind that fact that it was wrong :wink:

*bows to the the all-knowing greatness*

-Kev

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 05:52:26 pm »
A good friend of mine is involved with Jews For Jesus.

Pretty much, they are people who practice the Jewish traditons but are Christians. Also, they have an outreach program to Jews. The whole movement is called Messianic Judaism. In doctrine, they are usually quite similar to Baptists or Nondenominationalists. However, I know some Catholics that are involved in JFJ, so YMMV.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

LimeTwister

Jews for Jesus
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 05:56:46 pm »
ya know there is too much religion...i mean really if everyone was atheist, it would make a whole lot more sense...then no one could be wrong, and there would be no question of "is he real or not" because no one would know of "him"....

*just me ranting, and will probably get yelled at for this....please be nice with the harsh words  :D *

joshua1001

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • ICQ Messenger - 23477217
    • MSN Messenger - beulah_1001@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - beulah1001
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joshua_1001
    • View Profile
    • Email
Jews for Jesus
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 09:23:30 pm »
hmmm...

jews for jesus (JJs) are actually jews. the only difference is that they are evangelical and accept jesus as the messiah. this is differs from the traditional jewish faith where we are still waiting for the messiah. i think this has been said before. but i just had to say it too! i havent posted here in ages and this is a topic that i know something abt! woop!

JJs are indeed practicers of messianic judaism. they even accept the new testament as part of the bible, which we traditional jews do not recognise.

interesting stuff.. at least JJs are not a doomsday cult... they are mainstream but they are a nuisance at times...