Author Topic: Rachel Farris  (Read 8308 times)

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
Rachel Farris
« on: June 20, 2003, 10:38:44 pm »
I'm not sure if any of you have heard of her before or not, she's got her debut single out called "I'm Not The Girl" that hooked me.
She's got a similar vibe as Michelle Branch

Her album is in stores now, its called Soak, I havnt actually grabbed any other songs from it yet, but I will soon, but if its like the single, I have high hopes.
Rachel Farris Official Site
Rachel Farris Featured Artist

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel Farris
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 01:02:24 am »
Quote from: "blackvulture"

Oooh, she sure is cute!!  :wink:
Seriously, her music seems to be good, I'll have to dl a few songs when my comp is up and running (someday maybe...grr!)
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
Rachel Farris
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 03:20:38 am »
I love her song, its so pretty  :D

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rachel Farris
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2003, 10:13:18 am »
I just got done listening to the entire album for the first time. I like it  :D

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rachel Farris
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 03:11:22 pm »
When I was at Best Buy today, I heard the song "Soak" playing! I thought that was pretty cool.

superscientific

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • Bang Bang?
    • MSN Messenger - superscientific@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • View Profile
Rachel Farris
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 03:53:49 pm »
She sounds more like Britney Spears lol
Britney over some rock tracks haha
not bad....not sure about the voice though

danny

"you fake like a smile...like a hug I'm tight" - Common "Hungry"
Check out Missy Higgins Music Now!
Myspace!

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rachel Farris
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 05:35:58 pm »
Quote from: "superscientific"

actually I was thinking the same thing, and she kinda looks like her too in the video at least. But with the more rock style, I like her a lot more than Britney.
I was afraid to make the comparison tho, thought it might keep people from giving her a fair chance.

LimeTwister

Rachel Farris
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 05:43:53 pm »
she is cute. :lol:

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Rachel Farris
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 07:43:59 pm »
Quote from: "superscientific"

Yeah, she has this really tiny voice and is singing on rock tracks, LOL. It makes for a unique style if nothing else.

-Brian
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rachel Farris
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 11:29:30 pm »
Something kinda cool, if you go to a Regal Cinema, you can get a promo Rachel CD in their drink lids. I got one tonight. It has 2 tracks "I'm Not The Girl" & "Soak" and some ECD content like 2 wallpapers, her bio, and interview... The video you have to download, its not local on the CD which sucks. But its still pretty cool overall. It'll def get the word out to people.

LimeTwister

Rachel Farris
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2003, 01:59:18 pm »
i saw her CD in Target for like 9.98 or something lol, made me think of kev.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Rachel Farris
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2003, 08:22:23 am »
Not loving it i have to say, but i trust kev's judgement on people who are gonna be big!
"I'm all about the wordplay."

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Rachel Farris
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 01:39:09 pm »
A promotion to make you flip your lid Regal Cinemas gives away enhanced CDs in an effort to expand its entertainment division's reach

07/05/03

KRISTI TURNQUIST
You've worked up a Terminator-size thirst sitting through a summer movie at a Regal Cinemas theater. You order the $4 large-size soda, a cup of liquid refreshment so hefty you could weight-train with it. Grab a straw, punch it through the hole in the plastic lid, and -- what in the name of Schwarzenegger is that?

Behold the latest manifestation of movie marketing. Through the month of July, Regal Cinemas moviegoers who order the big-swig pop will find embedded in the clear-plastic lid a mini-CD featuring tunes by a pop singer named Rachel Farris.

First question: Who the heck is Rachel Farris? Answer: A pop singer whose tunes on the CD, "I'm Not the Girl" and "Soak," are a sort of cross between Michelle Branch, Britney Spears and Vanessa Carlton.

Now, the larger question: What's up with this top-of-the-pop giveaway? Is Regal following in the dubious footsteps of AOL, with its habit of sending unasked-for free discs to unsuspecting consumers everywhere?

"It's part of our way of changing the face of the modern-day movie theater from a very passive, sit back and be entertained experience to a more active, engaging experience," says Cliff Marks, Regal CineMedia president, marketing and sales.

That's a tall order even for a large-size soda. But it's linked to a larger strategy under way at Regal Entertainment Group, the dominant exhibitor in the Portland market and the largest motion-picture exhibitor in the world. Regal CineMedia, created about a year ago, is Regal Entertainment's marketing and promotion arm.

"We were created to utilize the Regal assets in a way to help bottom-line profits without interfering with the day-to-day process of our primary function of running movies and entertaining people," Marks says.

The mini-CDs fall under Regal's arrangement with its "content partners," NBC, Turner Broadcasting, Vivendi Universal Entertainment and The Convex Group, the company behind LidRock, which makes the drink-top CDs.

Farris' CD can be played in most standard CD players (although not in cars or other slot-loading players). The "enhanced" CD contains the two songs, plus other features, such as promotional clips of the upcoming Matt Damon-Greg Kinnear comedy, "Stuck on You," and of Universal Studios' theme park rides.

This is only the latest example of "enhanced" CDs as promotional tool. Such CDs have been used by companies including United Airlines, Coca-Cola, Victoria's Secret and Acuvue, which made a CD featuring songs by Enrique Iglesias. About 2.5 million CDs for a Pepsi campaign featuring singer Shakira have been given away as prizes in Spain and Latin American countries during the past 18 months.

With anywhere from 3 million to 4 million of the mini-CDs expected to be given away during July at theaters owned by Regal Entertainment, Rachel Farris will get a nice boost.

"The whole industry is in such a state of flux," said Bill Edwards, whose Big3 Records is financing the Farris promotion. "It's kind of a tough situation, especially for an independent label, to get music played, because we're vying against everyone else in the world."

The marketing push by the St. Petersburg, Fla.-based label is unusual for a new artist.

"We know it's a gamble, but we think it's a very good gamble," Edwards said.

For Regal customers, this may be just the beginning, Marks says. "We're currently talking to (LidRock) about that now. We're not sure what the next step will be. More CDs. It's not impossible that it could be video games. It could be music videos. It could theoretically be a feature film on that disc, like a DVD."

It's also possible, Marks says, that Regal might offer such CDs for sale. However, many moviegoers already complain about commercials and sales pitches at theaters. In February a Lewis & Clark Law School professor and his Chicago-based law partner filed a class-action suit alleging that Loews Cineplex Entertainment intentionally deceived moviegoers about actual starting times for features so as to generate a captive audience for pre-movie ads.

Marks says, "We will always respect our patrons' desire to just come to the movies to see a movie. If there is a sales model, there will always be an option where you don't have to purchase it. We're not going to put the patron in a position where they feel pressure or feel like they have to buy it. We want it to be an added value."

Regal CineMedia's deals with its partners in content, advertising and promotions are also behind "The 2wenty," pre-feature programming consisting of music videos -- such as the Rachel Farris video on view in July -- coverage of upcoming movies, promos for Universal, NBC or Turner Broadcasting programs and other material. "The 2wenty" runs up until the advertised start time for a feature -- at which time trailers show, which may delay the true start of the movie for several more minutes.

The digital delivery-and-satellite technology that brings "The 2wenty" to theaters also is used for live sports, entertainment and corporate meetings, Marks says. Such events help use theaters at times when they might be empty or underfilled, he says -- which helps recoup some of the $75 million Regal invested in the digital-satellite setup.

"One of our fastest-growing businesses are corporations having what we call 'cinemeetings,' " Marks says. "You can have a giant video conference and talk to each other across the country, beamed around by the satellite."
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Rachel Farris
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2003, 02:19:32 pm »
eeee......yeah ghisy.......shwing

:razz:

tylor

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
Rachel Farris
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 08:49:26 am »
as mentioned earlier in my live journal - i saw terminator 3 and yes i recieved rachel ferris - lidrock with my large cherry coke !
xoxo