Author Topic: I need computer help!!!  (Read 4196 times)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2003, 05:36:26 pm »
Quote from: "PintOGuinness"
*sigh* ... this is quite possibly one of the most egocentric and rather quite snotty comments i've ever heard made...  aside from very devout MAC users, I have heard nothing but complaints from the "common" MAC user about their machines.  

And all those complaints seem to be, in my experience, "It doesn't work like Windows! Where is my right mouse button? How am I supposed to use my computer without it!" I admin my school's network. I run into that all the time. And if they want to use a Windows machine, I point them to the labs across the hall. Where of course, right click is disabled in our security policy. :twisted:

I find the Windows interface very intuitive and very logical to operate...  

Yes, Alt-F4 makes perfect sense to close a window over say..... command-W (window). Hmm... and where was that documented again?  It make sense to use an uninstaller to trash a program, rather than drag it to the Trash/Recycle, just like you would a document. Just about the only problem I had with the Mac OS UI was dragging a disk to the trash to eject/unmount. And that is no more anyway.......

development on the Linux and unix OSes promise to be even more impressive in the future...

Are we talking KDE and Gnome here? Ehh... I run KDE on my Debian box. Gnome is a steaming pile of crap. KDE 3.1 is getting to the point where I almost want to let my mom use it. Almost. Lots of estoteric error messages that use overly technical language when it isn't necessary. But I will agree, things are looking promising in this department.

BTW, Mac OS X is a genetic UNIX. It runs a modified version of Mach called xnu, and userland is FreeBSD 4.4 in 10.2.6 (what I run). Mac OS X ultimately traces itself back to NeXTStep, which many consider to be the most innovated UNIX ever. So yes, UNIX-based OS's promise to be even more impressive in the future. :wink:

and I find Macintosh hardware lacking in what i ask it to do on occasion...

Ehh.... no argument here. Although, with the new IBM chips in the pipe, this may change soon.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2003, 05:48:41 pm »
And if they want to use a Windows machine, I point them to the labs across the hall. Where of course, right click is disabled in our security policy. :twisted:

LOL

tylor

tylor2000

• View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2003, 05:51:12 pm »
Quote from: "m125boy"
 And if they want to use a Windows machine, I point them to the labs across the hall. Where of course, right click is disabled in our security policy. :twisted:

LOL

tylor

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2003, 07:32:22 pm »
*Throws flag*

That's a 15 yard penalty for double posting!!!
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

tylor2000

• View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2003, 07:55:19 pm »
how the heck did that happen?....maybe someone will erase the first one for me.....I don't see how I can erase it...

Did you just watch a college game or something?

It's not exactly a mirror double...

tylor

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2003, 08:07:05 pm »
The mods will delete it.  (If they feel the need)

I officiate football, it gets in your blood.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2003, 02:05:54 pm »
hmmm i'm not really up on all this fancy computer talk....all i know is that my mother's iMac is toast, won't do anything, and basically sucks. but it's okay, because in one year, i will be in college and have my own, lovely, well functioning HP........aaaaah, the thought of it alone makes me smile.

anyways, thanks for your help guys, my address bar is working a okay now!