Author Topic: I need computer help!!!  (Read 4195 times)

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« on: July 04, 2003, 03:38:34 pm »
okay, so here goes. You know the search bar underneath the tool bar, where you put the URL to a webpage in? well, it's gone on my comp. screen. I've tried everything to get it back, even emailing the help center for HP. but nothing's working. it won't come back!

does anyone know what to do? I've already tried going to 'view' then 'toolbars' then 'address' bar, and it' doesn't work. All that happens is a little section of my toolbar says 'address' on it. i'm so frustrated! can anyone help?

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 04:57:01 pm »
Under View -> Toolbars is "Lock Toolbars" checked?

if so uncheck it first... if not don't worry about it...

then start dragging the things at the top of the browser around by the little virtical dots on the left hand side... see if maybe a stray held click has it dragged out of your field of view...
-- Jason

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 06:47:06 pm »
okay, i have the search bar....but it's now where the 'back' 'forward' and other such buttons are on the toolbar! how do i get it below the toolbar where it normally is? [thanks for your help so far!]

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 06:49:19 pm »
never mind the last post! i so have it back now! thanks for the help!

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 07:03:55 pm »
A 15 Step Guide To Fixing Computers (very easy)

1.  Turn it off.

2.  Walk to closet.

3.  Pull out your choice of fire arm.

4.  Aim at your computer.

5.  Pull Trigger

Steps 6-11.  Assuming you have six rounds, repeat step five.  If you do not have a six round weapon, skip and go to step 12.

Step 12.  Completely empty out weapon.

Step 13.  Walk to phone.

Step 14.  Dial Dell Computer Service.

Step 15.  Tell the bitch that answers the phone that YOUR FUCKING COMPUTER BROKE AND THAT YOU HAVE A WARRANTY.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 09:32:33 pm »
jessie i knew you were going to break dad's comp one of these days  :wink:
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 10:24:28 am »
Quote from: "Dancernl"
jessie i knew you were going to break dad's comp one of these days  :wink:

i did not break dad's computer! i just....pressed a few wrong buttons...but thanks to PintOGuinness, i got it all figured out.  :D

LimeTwister

I need computer help!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 10:27:22 am »
Quote from: "GSUCarltonFan"
A 15 Step Guide To Fixing Computers (very easy)

1.  Turn it off.

2.  Walk to closet.

3.  Pull out your choice of fire arm.

4.  Aim at your computer.

5.  Pull Trigger

Steps 6-11.  Assuming you have six rounds, repeat step five.  If you do not have a six round weapon, skip and go to step 12.

Step 12.  Completely empty out weapon.

Step 13.  Walk to phone.

Step 14.  Dial Dell Computer Service.

Step 15.  Tell the bitch that answers the phone that YOUR FUCKING COMPUTER BROKE AND THAT YOU HAVE A WARRANTY.

i really should have done this with mine, except i would have called compaq...oh this computer made me really mad...but it has calmed down since.

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 10:31:11 am »
you know, i think those steps would be perfect for my mom's iMac. A word of advice: NEVER BY AN IMAC! believe me, it's hell. you can't do anything on it.

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 11:22:53 am »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"
you know, i think those steps would be perfect for my mom's iMac. A word of advice: NEVER BY AN IMAC! believe me, it's hell. you can't do anything on it.

Nah... you can do pretty much everything you can do on Windows on a Mac, and you can usually do it easier and better. Using Windows has just destroyed your thinking about such things. Remember, a Mac doesn't work the same way as a Windows based computer. If it did, what would be the point?

Tell me what you want to do on there and I'll tell you how. You would be suprised how simple and obvious things are. You just don't expect them to be that way.

That is why my main computer is a Mac. It doesn't get in the way. It's simple. And it's powerful. And it just works.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 11:39:27 am »
shoot a computer?  No way!  It is usely the humans fault.  Although the 15 steps were funny.  But why use a gun?  I can completely destroy a computer with a butter knife :wink:  :lol:

tylor

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 12:36:31 pm »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"

Nah... you can do pretty much everything you can do on Windows on a Mac, and you can usually do it easier and better. Using Windows has just destroyed your thinking about such things. Remember, a Mac doesn't work the same way as a Windows based computer. If it did, what would be the point?

Tell me what you want to do on there and I'll tell you how. You would be suprised how simple and obvious things are. You just don't expect them to be that way.

That is why my main computer is a Mac. It doesn't get in the way. It's simple. And it's powerful. And it just works.

Well the fact of the matter is that our mom's computer is from around 1800 and the OS and hard drive are about to crap out on it.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 12:42:53 pm »
Well then that's not the OS fault.  I've got Windows 98, and it's about useless already.

Nowadays, to stay on top of things--no matter what OS you use--you have to get a new PC about every 3 years.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2003, 01:10:42 pm »
Sounds like it's a bad hard drive, which is a fact of life these days. With bigger capasities, it gets worse each day.

Sounds like we all need to go back a few years. My TI-99/4A and TRS-80 Model 100 still work after thirty some years. Talk about reliability. :wink:

Assuming that she has the oldest iMac out there, a Bondi Blue 233/32MB/4GB, it would be just over five years old. I have one of those. Install 9.1 on that thing and it will chug on like a champ. I ran X on that thing since public beta, because it was all that I had. I nuked X and my parents like it again. It's not that X isn't nice, it's just that the UI slows things down if you don't have the hardware acceleration for that. That iMac only had an integrated Rage IIC Pro 2 MB card in it. Good luck with that...... software rendering all the way! :-P
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
I need computer help!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2003, 04:26:40 pm »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"

*sigh* ... this is quite possibly one of the most egocentric and rather quite snotty comments i've ever heard made...  aside from very devout MAC users, I have heard nothing but complaints from the "common" MAC user about their machines.  Sure MACs lent quite a bit to technology development as a whole and every computer user owes their developers a debt of gratitude.  But, it would seem that a good majority of the world had decided to move on now...

I find the Windows interface very intuitive and very logical to operate...  development on the Linux and unix OSes promise to be even more impressive in the future... and I find Macintosh hardware lacking in what i ask it to do on occasion...

That is why my main computer is a Dell. It doesn't get in the way. It's simple. And it's powerful. And it just works.

And.. IF ONLY... my TI/994A  still worked :(
-- Jason