Author Topic: The Darkness  (Read 11226 times)

Scotty

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
The Darkness
« on: September 18, 2003, 04:02:53 pm »
"They are like Bon Jovi from 1986 playing Bohemian Rhapsody Queen in the style of AC/DC."

This is a really cool band it seems that old rock is coming back

Official Site: http://www.thedarknessrock.com

I recommend "I believe in a thing called love"

The Darkness have come to re-cool mullets the world over. Worse than that, they've come to remaster Slippery When Wet, stick some baby oil on its chest and prance around the stage like its 1985. And we're gonna let 'em.

Anyone who's been privileged enough to see The Darkness is undoubtedly a fan. It wiped the floor with all the bombastic, miserable indie music we fill our lives with choosing instead to beat The Datsuns at their own game of 'who can rip off AC/DC the best', throwing in the best bits of Kiss and GnR along with every poodle rock cliche that ever existed. Just because they can!

We're not just talking mountainous, mullet shearing riffs here, we're talking grandiosity and falsettos out of Queen's repertoire. Sounding a tad like Muse's Matt Bellamy at his highest, but with a smile on his face; Justin Hawkins' top rate vocals probably owe more to his circulation busting PVC trouser skin than anything else, and whilst he may have come on stage with his chest covered, it was hardly likely to last longer than a breath.

It's a riotous gig though, and during 'Get Your Hands Off My Woman' it's actually like The Darkness are single handedly rebuilding Wembley Stadium there and then. What more could you want? Well possibly the gasoline-fuelled cover of Radiohead's 'Fade In/Fade Out' that's reborn somewhere around 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and performed by Def Leppard fronted by Freddie Mercury. Yes, they single handedly resurrect Freddie too. Because they fucking can.

By the time it's over and Justin's reached the mixing desk, through the crowd, still playing his guitar, you get the nagging suspicion that maybe Starsailor concerts do lack a certain edge. Indeed, everything about The Darkness exists on the fine line between genius and complete and utter failure. The show, the posturing, the finger drumming guitar solos are all how Bill and Ted imagined them to be, however, and it's probably the best thing we'll see all year.

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
The Darkness
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 04:54:54 am »
Haha, I knew it was only a matter of time before somebody finally made a "The Darkness" thread.

Playing low, singing high, at least 2 guitar solos per song. It's everything rock music should be. They're great, I love them :D

Hopefully it's the start of a glorious revolution for popular music.

-Kev

P.S. I also recommend "A Thing Called Love". "Growing on me" is another good one (although the entire album is great).

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Darkness
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 11:48:11 am »
Looks like there's no love for The Darkness Scott. I guess that means they've not broken state side.

I wonder if they ever will, as the rock scene never really died over there. AC/DC and stuff still get regular play (or so I hear).

-Kev

Scotty

• View Profile
The Darkness
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 12:13:36 pm »
:cry: Its such a shame because they rock I guess it shows that Americans dont try new things, I even tried to get BV to try Muse but he wasnt interested, do u like muse?

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Darkness
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 12:32:46 pm »
Quote from: "pianoguy88"
:cry: Its such a shame because they rock I guess it shows that Americans dont try new things

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say that. It's yet to be seen whether whether they will break the US. A lot of their appeal within the mainstream is that they're a throwback to classic rock music. America never really abandoned that sort of thing like the UK did, so a lot of the appeal is probably lost in a US market. I think that will be the main reason for them not making it across the pond (if they don't).

I even tried to get BV to try Muse but he wasnt interested, do u like muse?

Sounds like good intuition on the part of BV because Muse suck ;) lol j/k. No, I don't really like them (but that doesn't mean they suck). My brother really likes them though.

-Kev

Scotty

• View Profile
The Darkness
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 03:59:57 am »
Quote from: "kev222"
Sounds like good intuition on the part of BV because Muse suck;) lol j/k. No, I don't really like them (but that doesn't mean they suck). My brother really likes them though.-Kev

:o  8O NO THEY DO NOT! Pft your brother has a better taste than you lol :razz: Only joking, im sure u are entitled to your opinion but he rocks at the piano!

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Darkness
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 11:07:10 am »
Pft your brother has a better taste than you lol :razz:

Dude. There's no need to be saying hurtful things you can't take back! :cry:

Only joking, im sure u are entitled to your opinion but he rocks at the piano!

He does? I've never heard him play the piano. I've just heard him whine into a microphone ;) lol

No seriously, there's a lot worse out there than Muse. Plus why would you want to take the musical opinion of somebody listening to a song by a band called Death? ;)

||
||
||
||
V

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
The Darkness
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2003, 11:11:32 am »
I fucking LOVE them! On a very drunk night a while ago we were screaming our lungs out to 'I believe in a thing called love'.

I was thinking about writing an article for Tricia's site (Crank It Up) so we can spread the luuuurve, anyone wanna help me? It would be so cool to get there first- i'm really not sure the americans will get them though. So funny, So talented, Such good music.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Darkness
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2003, 11:23:40 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
I fucking LOVE them! On a very drunk night a while ago we were screaming our lungs out to 'I believe in a thing called love'.

Phew, this thread was dangerously close to becoming a Muse thread (;-P @ Scott). That's 3 out of 3 positive responses. Take the hint everyone, check them out before they hit and you're just considered bandwagon ;)

Quote from: "rosieposy87"
I was thinking about writing an article for Tricia's site (Crank It Up) so we can spread the luuuurve, anyone wanna help me? It would be so cool to get there first

Sure, although I'm not sure what it entails or how useful I'd be. But sure :)

-Kev

Scotty

• View Profile
The Darkness
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2003, 01:30:03 pm »
He does? I've never heard him play the piano. I've just heard him whine into a microphone ;) lol

Well how can u judge a band that u have only heard one song too :?

I think you should give them a chance and download Space Dementia
PURLEEEEEEEEZE!!!! :D

Oh and btw the song u heard of him screaming into a microphone is called Feeling Good which is a cover they didnt even write it.

Rosie likes muse, dont ya Rosie back me up here :wink:

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Darkness
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2003, 02:08:17 pm »

Well how can u judge a band that u have only heard one song too :?

One song? Bah, I've heard tons of their stuff.

I think you should give them a chance and download Space Dementia
PURLEEEEEEEEZE!!!! :D

Never! I have too much pride invested in my opinion to turn back now ;)

Oh and btw the song u heard of him screaming into a microphone is called Feeling Good which is a cover they didnt even write it.

It wasn't screaming, it was just general whining. It's a judgement made from every Muse song I've heard. Although "Plug-in Baby" is the only one I can remember the title too. It was just a joke at the expense of his vocal style.

Edit: Grrr, now the chorus to "Plug in baby" is stuck in my head :?

-Kev

Scotty

• View Profile
The Darkness
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2003, 09:51:00 am »
OH well lets get back to the topic, The Darkness rock!!!  They are good contenders for #1 this week.  So I cant wait to see them on Top Of The Pops... I believe in a think called love...justlistentotherhythmofmyheart.
Damn it kills my throat to do that!

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Darkness
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2003, 10:57:08 am »
*watching totp"

Number 2. Is that it? Bah! shame on the UK yet again. I was sure it was going to be a #1.

Metallica are on. Nobody knows what to do! They're just standing there. Haha.

Actually there's a few good tracks in the top 10 for once. Ev, Delta, Darkness, Dido :)

-Kev

Scotty

• View Profile
The Darkness
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2003, 01:25:03 pm »
*watching totp"

Number 2. Is that it? Bah! shame on the UK yet again. I was sure it was going to be a #1.

Metallica are on. Nobody knows what to do! They're just standing there. Haha.

Actually there's a few good tracks in the top 10 for once. Ev, Delta, Darkness, Dido :)

-Kev

they all rule! We have the same taste
apart from MUSE

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Scotty

• View Profile
The Darkness
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2003, 02:49:35 pm »
"The Darkness bring long-haired, flared-spandex-jumpsuited falsetto singing back to the top of the charts, and isn't it about time! When 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' was given a limited release a year ago it only made No. 136, perhaps we just weren't ready for the return of heavy rock back then."

8O

Unoriginal Dum-Dums