Author Topic: I gotta kick out of this.  (Read 16270 times)

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
I gotta kick out of this.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2003, 07:08:03 pm »
LMAO @ the discussion that happened above me

You can hate the Dixie Chicks all you want...though I think it's pretty stupid to say you hate people you've never met because of some off-handed comment they happened to make. o_O  Not saying I agree with what Natalie said (because I don't) but I certainly have no personal feelings for her one way or the other.

Second, she didn't say it to 55 million conservative Americans.  She said it to a bunch of British people who HATE the American policy of this war.

And lastly, I think it was pretty damn smart to say it.  Think about it, they were all over the news, on the covers of magazines, on the radio...it was all about the Dixie Chicks.  No publicity is bad publicity.  Or so they say.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2003, 11:53:10 am »
You can hate the Dixie Chicks all you want...though I think it's pretty stupid to say you hate people you've never met because of some off-handed comment they happened to make. o_O Not saying I agree with what Natalie said (because I don't) but I certainly have no personal feelings for her one way or the other.
[/size]

I know, I shouldn't "hate" the Dixie Chicks, being that I've never met them, but their music, their whole style makes me strongly dislike them. I mean, I can't help it. Just like people hate Eminem, or Michelle Branch or whoever, how many do you think have ever met Eminem or Michelle? Also, the Dixie Chicks' whole attitude towards the US government is just wrong. They ought to be respecting their country, their leader, regardless if their leader is retarded. ;)

Second, she didn't say it to 55 million conservative Americans. She said it to a bunch of British people who HATE the American policy of this war.
[/size]

Just because she said it to the British doesn't mean the US won't ever hear about it. Remember, England is the 51st state.

And lastly, I think it was pretty damn smart to say it. Think about it, they were all over the news, on the covers of magazines, on the radio...it was all about the Dixie Chicks. No publicity is bad publicity. Or so they say.
[/size]

Would you rather be on magazines all over or have people buy your CDs if you were a musician?

Layla

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2003, 11:57:02 am »
Quote from: "PIBby"
Remember, England is the 51st state.

:| :? :|

I feel like a shadow
Walking behind who you think I am
Just like my shadow

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2003, 12:37:20 pm »
Quote from: "DixieChck615"
And lastly, I think it was pretty damn smart to say it.  Think about it, they were all over the news, on the covers of magazines, on the radio...it was all about the Dixie Chicks.  No publicity is bad publicity.  Or so they say.

Thats not universally true.  Sometimes publicity like this will boost a career shortterm but kill it once the buzz dies off.  Staying power is based on a loyal fan base, not on short term press.
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

LimeTwister

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2003, 03:35:37 pm »
besides that they didn't quote all she said...

she said something along the lines of...

"I am embarrassed to be from the same state is the President of the United States, but I do support the troops..."

which they mysteriously left off the quote...

and we don't live in a communist country, that is why there is more then one party...so no you shouldn't respect your leader even if he is retarded...that should make you disrespect the leader AND the people that put a retard as the leader....

my personal thought.

Lucy-san

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2003, 07:37:46 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
so no you shouldn't respect your leader even if he is retarded...that should make you disrespect the leader AND the people that put a retard as the leader....

I concur

britain is the 51st state? I'm betting my ass an american came up with that

and my ass is nice :)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2003, 06:03:00 am »
Quote from: "Lucy-san"
britain is the 51st state? I'm betting my ass an american came up with that

Nah... it's Canada that is the 51st state. ;) BC is like middle CA with fewer immigrants from Mexico and the east.

And about your ass, I'd say something but my girlfriend wouldn't be happy.  :razz:
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2003, 06:09:34 am »

"I am embarrassed to be from the same state is the President of the United States, but I do support the troops..."

But, the first part stands alone. I don't think anyone disputed that she "supports our troops." It was the president part of the quote that got people angry. Do you think that alone with less context, people in the south would take it in a different way? A few maybe. But not many.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2003, 06:12:21 am »
Quote from: "Lucy-san"

Are we expected to take you word for that?  I expect proof.

Pictures will do  :wink:
---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

LimeTwister

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2003, 11:14:10 am »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"

But, the first part stands alone. I don't think anyone disputed that she "supports our troops." It was the president part of the quote that got people angry. Do you think that alone with less context, people in the south would take it in a different way? A few maybe. But not many.

a lot of people in the south already didn't like the Dixie Chicks...it wasn't her fans that started the anti-dixie chicks stuff, Yes their album sales went down, but i know for a fact that when they were here that they sold out in ticket sales and someone i know was there and they said that there was some standing room only.

Sheryl Crow, t.A.t.U, shakira and system of a down all spoke out against the war, and people here didn't go all nuts for that...

she said she was embarrassed to be from the same state not I hate Bush, lets punish her for her opinion...

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2003, 11:23:56 am »
Also, the Dixie Chicks' whole attitude towards the US government is just wrong. They ought to be respecting their country, their leader, regardless if their leader is retarded. ;)

That is such a blatantly wrong concept to live by. Why should you respect a leader you didn't vote for? Why should you respect a leader who you hate? Why should you respect a leader who's policies you don't agree with? Why does everything in America have to be about 'loving your country'!?

Just because she said it to the British doesn't mean the US won't ever hear about it. Remember, England is the 51st state.

Ugh, you did not just say that!! lol
"I'm all about the wordplay."

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2003, 11:39:43 am »
Bush is our President - The Americans' leader. I don't understand people who are so public about their opinions towards the government - You can't LEGALLY change the US government for the time being. We have to make do with what we have, even if he is a retarded Texan.

I did say it 'cause the UK is the 51st! So says I!

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2003, 11:43:17 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Also, the Dixie Chicks' whole attitude towards the US government is just wrong. They ought to be respecting their country, their leader, regardless if their leader is retarded. ;)

That is such a blatantly wrong concept to live by. Why should you respect a leader you didn't vote for? Why should you respect a leader who you hate? Why should you respect a leader who's policies you don't agree with? Why does everything in America have to be about 'loving your country'!?

Ugh, you did not just say that!! lol

Rosie, you stole that from my mouth. ALL that lol

I mean, if I had been born some 30 years earlier, are you telling me I should support Franco, a dictator, just because he is in power? Did Franco equal Spain? Hell no! just because people didn't like him or his government it doesn't mean they were against Spain. In fact it's quite the opposite. If you're concerned about your current leader and don't like what he's doing is probably because you love your country and think it could be doing much better in different hands. A certain leader in a certain moment in history doesn't represent the country, it represents the ideas that got him to power and the people who voted for him. He is supposed to do the best things for his country, yes, to that extent I agree about the leader-country association, but for instance Bush does not mean America. America as a country, and as a concept (and that applies to any other country and leader) was there before Bush and will be there after Bush. Not supporting Bush's ideas doesn't mean you're anti-American. Most people in the US seem to get that wrong.

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2003, 11:57:28 am »
He is supposed to do the best things for his country, yes, to that extent I agree about the leader-country association, but for instance Bush does not mean America. America as a country, and as a concept (and that applies to any other country and leader) was there before Bush and will be there after Bush. Not supporting Bush's ideas doesn't mean you're anti-American. Most people in the US seem to get that wrong

I was anti-war myself. I didn't agree with Bush. That doesn't mean I didn't respect him as a leader - Not a person.

I think it pissed me off more than anything when we would talk about the War in class or I'd talk about it with someone and someone would go "If you don't support the War, go to Iraq."
1) What point are they trying to make here? They have nothing on their side.
2) I couldn't care less about the Iraqis. If pro-War people would just get it in their heads that the only people who are being killed AREN'T the Iraqis (though few were), they would understand that I lurrrve our troops and I heart our troops' safety - That's why I didn't want America to go to War.

I wasn't for Bush - And I never have been. But that doesn't mean I go out to England - The country America easily communicates with the most - and tell the British how ashamed I am for having Bush come out of "my" homestate (though I'm not from Texas).

Layla

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2003, 12:06:27 pm »
Bush is our President - The Americans' leader. I don't understand people who are so public about their opinions towards the government - You can't LEGALLY change the US government for the time being. We have to make do with what we have, even if he is a retarded Texan.

well i aint american so i'm gunna be public with my opinions! altho i don't think too much of Blair either...

I feel like a shadow
Walking behind who you think I am
Just like my shadow