Author Topic: "Never Again"  (Read 7082 times)

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
"Never Again"
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2003, 10:21:10 am »
Yeah, i got an A on my essay on the Cosmological argument, and no-one else in the class did! I have had to write essays on the Teleological argument,  and Utilitarianism since then. They are due in tommorrow! arghh.

Okay, some advice. For my coursework i have to write a 2500 word essay on a question of my choice. I have narrowed the decision down to:

-In what ways has the biblical concept of creation been hindered by modern science?

-A contrasting study of Dualism and Monism.

-A study of Christian Cults and their attractions.

-"A religion founded on reason is more valid than one founded on blind faith" Discuss.

-Or something about AIDS and catholics, that question i would have to devise myself.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

LimeTwister

"Never Again"
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2003, 11:31:17 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"

-A study of Christian Cults and their attractions.

i like that one.

not sure if your teacher will...but i do.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
"Never Again"
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2003, 11:34:54 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
But the blackwidow spider doesn't have a police force around to prevent her from doing so.  If the US had no police force and women had a good logical survival based reason to kill and eat their husbands (for example, her husband would kill their child) then it would, in fact, be "right".  Right <> Moral.  Right = Decision with the best possible outcome for the decision maker.

See my above post for a comment on the difference between making the right logical choice and being "morally right".

Given that definition, I'll ammend what I said replacing the word right with moral and the word wrong with immoral. Now which is the right question to ask? Was it moral? or was it right? Pffft. I can't even start to get my head around trying to answer that at the moment (hard day). But yeah, I understand the difference you are pointing out.

-Kev

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
"Never Again"
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2003, 06:04:58 am »

-"A religion founded on reason is more valid than one founded on blind faith" Discuss.

Ooooh.  That could be a fun one.  You could even discuss rational moral law and how humans are capable of devising a proper way to live based purely on the reasoning abilites given to us by our creator.

OR

You could go the opposite direction and talk about how human reason is flawed and we can never prove the existance of a God therefore reason is fragile and a weak base for religion.

---Andrew
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
"Never Again"
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2003, 06:07:58 am »

Ooooh.  That could be a fun one.  You could even discuss rational moral law and how humans are capable of devising a proper way to live based purely on the reasoning abilites given to us by our creator.

OR

You could go the opposite direction and talk about how human reason is flawed and we can never prove the existance of a God therefore reason is fragile and a weak base for religion.

---Andrew

Were you one of those kids that asked your teachers for homework ? :wink:
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
"Never Again"
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2003, 06:26:57 am »
Quote from: "Logikal X"

Only in Sex ed.  :wink:
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
"Never Again"
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2003, 07:01:44 am »
Quote from: "Logikal X"

Only in Sex ed.  :wink:

i dont think that can be classified as homework...Thats one of the classes where what they teach you is actually applicable in real life, unlike that calculus stuff..yuck
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
"Never Again"
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2003, 09:28:49 am »

OR

---Andrew

Well the thing is, are any religions founded on reason? If so wouldn't that be a deductive argument? And then wouldn't that prove the existance of god? You see, that is easily the one i am most drawn too- but to write a 2500 word essay on it may be hard- because it is hard to think of a religion with reason placed behind it and not 'blind faith'.

ooh P.S- today we were doing rational moral law in Ethics, i was like 'blimey! this is scary!'
"I'm all about the wordplay."

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Never Again"
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2003, 10:17:18 am »
:) I so want to be doing your A-Levels Rosie!

Here's what I would write on a couple of them.

In what ways has the biblical concept of creation been hindered by modern science?

It would appear to me that the biblical account of creation is in no way hindered by science. But rather it is hindered by both a common misunderstanding that everything naturalistic, including the belief system of evolution, somehow falls under the umbrella of science (true science being only the emprical observation of reality in the present) and the persistence of old paradigms (foundational ideas not rejected in spite of observation to the contrary) within the scientific community. An important question might be, Is it actually science that's hampered?

"A new scientific proof is usually not propogated in such a way that opponents become conviced and discard their previous views. No, the adversaries eventually die off, and the upcoming generation is familiarised anew with the truth." - Max Planck, Philosopher of science (1858-1947)

A religion founded on reason is more valid than one founded on blind faith" Discuss.

At first it would appear to be yes, to say something is founded on blind faith is just another way of saying that it's unfounded. But on second thought, what do we know about the origin of reason? Do we place a blind faith in the reasoning systems within our brains? For instance, if our brains are the result of a chance random process then how can we trust our own reasoning?

Fun :) (yeah I'm a loser, lol)

-Kev

P.S. This reminded me of something from my essay days. I used to write "The End"  at the bottom of all my essays for a joke in GCSE English because it annoyed my teacher so badly. lol

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Never Again"
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2003, 10:22:09 am »
because it is hard to think of a religion with reason placed behind it and not 'blind faith'.

Almost any belief in God or a god is founded in the reason that the existence of design implies a designer. Maybe that can kickstart a thousand words or so ;)

-Kev

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
"Never Again"
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2003, 10:24:40 am »
Well the thing is, are any religions founded on reason? If so wouldn't that be a deductive argument? And then wouldn't that prove the existance of god? You see, that is easily the one i am most drawn too- but to write a 2500 word essay on it may be hard- because it is hard to think of a religion with reason placed behind it and not 'blind faith'.

ooh P.S- today we were doing rational moral law in Ethics, i was like 'blimey! this is scary!'

I don't know of any religions founded on reason, but I know some that use reason as a basis for argument.  Many catholic sects do.

But logic and reason don't prove the existance of God.  They just prove the existance of human logic.

Start with Descartes "I think therefore I am" attempt at proving the existence of God.  That might spark your thinking and push you in the right direction.
---Andrew

---Andrew

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
"Never Again"
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2003, 12:05:27 pm »
Stop it.. you're drifting my thread too far away from politics.. Now I have to tie in somehow.. hmmm... ok:

Republicans are more likely than Democrats to say they believe in God (by eight percentage points), in heaven (by 10 points), in hell (by 15 points), and considerably more likely to believe in the devil (by 17 points). Democrats are more likely than Republicans to say they believe in reincarnation (by 14 percentage points), in astrology (by 14 points), in ghosts (by eight points) and UFOs (by five points).

Way to go Dems... (walk slowly away from Andrew without making any sudden movements)
-- Jason

PintOGuinness

• VCUBs
  • Your true colors shown
  • My face is on milk cartons
    • ICQ Messenger - 3162963
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PintOGuinnessVC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.buckheadyouthorchestra.com
    • Email
"Never Again"
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2003, 12:08:34 pm »
lol.. waste of space...
-- Jason

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
"Never Again"
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2003, 05:07:46 am »
Quote from: "PintOGuinness"
Republicans are more likely than Democrats to say they believe in God (by eight percentage points), in heaven (by 10 points), in hell (by 15 points), and considerably more likely to believe in the devil (by 17 points). Democrats are more likely than Republicans to say they believe in reincarnation (by 14 percentage points), in astrology (by 14 points), in ghosts (by eight points) and UFOs (by five points).

That's simple to explain.  Republicans are 10 percentage points more likely to lie in a random poll.

Way to go Dems... (walk slowly away from Andrew without making any sudden movements)

Don't make me sick Montecore on you.
---Andrew

---Andrew