Author Topic: Ben Folds  (Read 8279 times)

1vcfan

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - amb0431
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - cocoa_covered_nut
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ben Folds
« on: November 14, 2003, 07:52:28 pm »
Does anyone else think that this guy is amazingly talented? His songs are great- some touching, others funny. This guy is GREAT!  :lol:

Pyro

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dead+am+pyro
    • View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 07:16:10 pm »
Wow, 2 years and no one else has posted!

... Well, I just wanted to say, I discovered Ben Folds' music recently and I really like it. He's a really good piano player, but in a different way than Vanessa. His style is more pop/jazz sort of. He pretty much plays all the instruments by himself. Hm. I suppose he's a good drummer too, I'm just more interested in piano.

I don't really like the lyrics/themes/subject matter/whatever of his songs though. They're not bad, they're just eccentric. Why do I want to hear a song about an old guy losing his job? (That song is beautiful though, and sad) One of my favorite songs is The Ascent of Stan, but it's about a hippie who's become THE MAN. I give him credit for being different, but I might like it even better if the song was about something else. So basically, I like his music better than his words.

Surprisingly, I hate the title song, "Rockin' the Suburbs". I wish it weren't even on the CD. I don't really like cursing in songs. It's not excessive in his CD though, there are some points where I don't think it was necessary.

Well, since it has been 2 years since you posted this, does anyone know if he has any more cd's out? or what he's been doing lately?

Lucy

• View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 12:48:03 am »
Wow I never noticed this thread before...

I love Ben Folds! He used to be part of the band 'Ben Folds Five' which was when I started getting interested in his music. He is an amazing pianist and can play every instrument in existance! (well probably not EVERY instrument....but you get the picture :roll: )

Has anyone heard Landed? That's his new single off the Songs for Silverman album. I think it's great! My fave song has to be The Luckiest though....it's just sooo beautiful.

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 09:26:51 pm »
never saw this thread, loooove Ben Folds.  He's so talented.
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

Pyro

• View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 11:33:25 am »
I've transposed the opening to The Ascent of Stan, but when I tried playing it on the piano, I found it virtually impossible. :(  I have no piano training, so I find it hard to play new songs, but I can usually get it with time. That song is so freakin hard though.

Lucy

• View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 11:43:27 am »
Quote from: "Pyro"
I've transposed the opening to The Ascent of Stan, but when I tried playing it on the piano, I found it virtually impossible. :(  I have no piano training, so I find it hard to play new songs, but I can usually get it with time. That song is so freakin hard though.

That it is, that it is. I have the music book for Rockin' the suburbs so I'm all set! :D

Rose

• View Profile
    • Email
Ben Folds
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 01:50:21 am »
He's a great pianoplayer; very different style though than Vanessa... Gracie is one of the sweetest songs ever  8)
home life
my whole life

Pyro

• View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 04:23:07 pm »
I got Songs for Silverman and I really like it. At first, I found it hard to distinguish between the songs, but once I got familiar with them I could appreciate them more. I like most of them, Bastard, You to Thank, Jesusland, Landed, Time, and Prison Food, but my favorite on the cd is probably Gracie.

I'm trying to learn how to play some of his songs. Can anyone tell me how accurate the books are? Should I keep playing them by ear, or is there somewhere I can find it, like here we have Vanessa's songs?

Gingernut

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 04:59:47 pm »
Quote from: "Rose"
He's a great pianoplayer; very different style though than Vanessa... Gracie is one of the sweetest songs ever  8)

i love gracie.

a.hughes

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - a.hughes@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 04:38:53 pm »
Quote from: "Pyro"
I'm trying to learn how to play some of his songs. Can anyone tell me how accurate the books are? Should I keep playing them by ear, or is there somewhere I can find it, like here we have Vanessa's songs?

The books are very accurate.
The ones that have the whole score (Piano, Lyrics, Bass, Drums, and whatever else) are really great.

I recommend getting the album "Whatever and Ever Amen".
And also check out the songs 'Magic', 'Philosophy' and 'The Luckiest'.
'Philosophy' is extra fun to play on the piano, same with 'The Ascent of Stan'.

His live concerts are also great, he gets the crowd incredibly involved especially when he splits the crowd into sections to sing harmonies in some songs.

He just shows how good rock on piano can sound.

Jophess

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
Ben Folds
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 06:09:05 pm »
"Landed" is a great song! Ben's really talented. I saw him on Jay Leno. Weird Al was playing the tamborine.
Joe

Alecs

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 12:56:21 am »
BEN is the F nkin bomb. The dvd that came with th cd b4 is fantastic....

piano, eat your heart out... 8)
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 03:23:10 pm »
well.. I have heard about her.. but I haven't check her out..

does she have a link?   :lol:  :lol:

a.hughes

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - a.hughes@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 04:49:13 pm »
Quote from: "medic0803"

I think if you go http://www.benfolds.com you'll find that Ben Folds is anything but female!

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Ben Folds
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 05:36:11 pm »
Quote from: "a.hughes"
Quote from: "medic0803"

I think if you go http://www.benfolds.com you'll find that Ben Folds is anything but female!

THANK YOU!