Poll

do you think schools should have uniforms?

yes
12 (70.6%)
no
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: November 17, 2003, 10:02:22 pm

Author Topic: school uniforms?  (Read 6341 times)

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
school uniforms?
« on: November 17, 2003, 10:02:22 pm »
Do you think schools having uniforms is a good thing or not? Explain.

I have to wear school uniforms at my school. And I mostly think they're a good thing!
1) You don't have to spend time thinking of what to wear.
2) It cuts down on compitition when some kids have better clothes than others. (and you know this happens at most schools, which is sad)

I think the bad part, for me, is that i hate wearing skirts, and the skirts we have to wear get kinda short by senior year when you dont want to pay money to get a new one, lol. mines not bad, but i hate skirts!! lol. especially when its 40 degrees outside. and i wish we were allowed to wear jackers and our own sweatshirts, not just school ones.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

freshlettuce

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - essaychic
    • View Profile
school uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 10:27:37 pm »
Yes, schools should have uniforms.  I agree that it lessens competition concerning who has what outfit.  Though there is the drawback of not having any clothes because one lives in his/her uniform throughout the school year.  (Or at least that was the case for me way back when I was in Catholic school.)  Let me tell ya, it was a bitch when I switched over to public school and didn't have a thing to wear.  It's taken me YEARS to come close to a proper transition and I STILL don't have enough clothes for a seven day rotation.  My parents became badly accustomed to not having to ever purchase me an actual wardrobe and I'm still suffering to this day.  

Yes, I know.  Time to get a job and take care of this injustice myself, damnit.   :x

Another reason for uniforms:  the ability to fully appreciate a guy's ass in those snug fitting grey pants (maybe it was just my middle school, but those pants were awfully tight on the male derriere).

And the best reason for school uniforms?  We can all look like Brittney Spears in her first music video every day of the school year - and not just on Halloween or at Pimps/Hos dances like you public schoolers out there.  Hah!   :razz:

Blake

• **BANNED**
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LinkinPark.com
school uniforms?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 11:44:20 pm »
NO![/i][/u]

No no no no no!!

When reading this understand: when I type and stuff, I tend to say "when you" or "as you do this" not meaning the person who posted above me or posted this thread, It's just an odd habit I have.

I went to a ''christian'' school which had uniforms, and damn ugly ones too. We had to be chocked with these ugly plaid ties, and if they were at all lossened, we'd get into trouble.

Sure there are the thought benefits of a school uniform.

As you named not have competition of what brand name your wearing, and if you have the 'coolest' shirt or whatever.

There's a really simple cure for it, and I regret not finding it way earlier. DON'T CARE.[/u] Now I'm not saying, don't take a bath, and don't brush your teeth, I mean, why do you want to measure up to someone elses standards and constantly feel uncomfortable with yourself because whoever doesn't like your outfit or just your shirt?!

Of course most people have the natural instinct to want to fit in. Note that I said most, I think there truly are people who truly DO NOT care. And I am one of them.

I mean if _____ walks past me and gives me a weird look because my shirt doesn't say Abercrombie or what be it, does it make me any less of a person or make me a loser because ______ thinks they are the judge of everyone.

That is my rule in school. Do not judge anyone by what they wear. What do you know but that person could be living in a shed somewhere and trying to get through school so they can get out of their hell. What do you know but that person's parents are tightwades or cannot afford to buy you more clothes, and they are not of a legal age to work to be able to buy their own clothes.

I'll tell you this:

We have a fairly strict dress code at school this year. I don't like wearing jeans all the time, and I don't like wearing kacki pants. I have one pair of black pants that I do not get into trouble for, and I wear them every single day[/b] and it bothers me NOT ONE BIT.

Sure there have been the stuck up asses that have said "don't you wear those pants everyday" and of course, being the mean ass I can be hit them back with something like "Didn't you have that hair cut since 2nd grade?" or something like "Maybe I'm poor."

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not in a terrible financial situation, but I'm not a rich person either. I choose not to go buy 6 more pairs of pants, that I'll only wear to school, because they wouldn't be the type I would wear after school, I don't want to spend extra money so I can rotate pants and be ''accepted'' for the fact that I have more than one pair of pants. I do have more than one pair of pants, I just cannot wear them all to school and not get dress code violation.

I think anyone who does make fun of someone for their clothes are very stupid and self conscious. If you think it makes you cool by picking on people's clothes you turn out to get a majority of people disliking you.

Dress codes are horrible, because they do take away self expression, and self expression is being taken away too much.

To me not being able to wear the clothes you want is like not being able to decorate or organise you room.

Take me for example...If I had my walls completly covered in LP posters, and I came home and my mom had taken them all down and put up Nsync posters, and said that that was how I had to have my room, I don't think I would like it. It's like taking your style of clothes and making you wear what they find right.

I mean come on, how much do you like looking like everyone else, you don't stick out in anyway, your just like a number in the line of students. You all look the same.

That's one of the reason's I don't like preppiness. (Nothing against anyone who likes to dress in Abercrombie or anything, it's your choice and that's what makes it good.) BUT I don't see it as being cool when you walk into class and everyone else has on the same type of outfit from Abercrombie, they all look the same as you. It's soooo stupid!!

(confessional: I do have 1 Abercrombie shirt...It says "Nice RacK" then has a 8 ball on the back. Sorry but I thought it was too funny! Plus it was only $10  :razz: )

I'm glad you posted about this Holly, it's a good subject and I will enjoy reading the replys...

I just wrote a fricken book!

Sig & Av By LJ User: Shinodaguitar

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
school uniforms?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 01:00:16 am »
Ever since i first started school at 5 i have always worn a uniform. There are very very VERY few schools in england (that go up to 16) that don't have uniforms. I know only one person who's secondary school (11-16) had no uniforms, and that was a private one- so she paid serious money for that.

I have to say that i never minded uniforms. And Daniel, if you think your school was strict you are mistaken! We wore:
-white shirts which we were told to tuck in at every opportunity of the day and the top button was NEVER allowed to be undone.
- Grey Skirts which had to come below the knee
- Ties which if at all were loosened we were told off
-Blazers which had to be worn at all times (even in the height of summer), unless we had asked the teacher's permission to take them off.
-In winter we were allowed no extra jumpers, no coats that weren't in school colours and no scarves other than the school one.

If any of these things were out of place, we got a uniform slip and if you got three of these you got an after school detention.  There were also Prefects (i was one of them, hence my special tie- lol) who the teachers were extra strict on because we were supposed to be 'setting an example'.

Nonetheless i still like school uniform, it does make everyone equal. Boys are less attracted to how much cleveage a girl is showing, and girls can make an informed decision about boys not based on their dress sense or the labels they wear. (hee hee) Now i'm at a sixth form college (not university, how many times do i have to say it!? lol) where you don't have to wear uniform and its a lot harder. The choices i make each day are no longer- which hairstyle shall i wear? Or socks or tights?- but about a WHOLE OUTFIT! Its fun for a while, but becomes tricky pretty soon.

Here is a pic of my uniform (completely trashed may i remind you, because this was Leavers' Day where we had a massive shaving foam fight.):
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
school uniforms?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 05:28:17 am »
I have to wear a (light) shirt and (school) tie.  We are allowed to wear dark trousers or "pants" :wink: but we get let off with everything cause im in the senior part of school.  I wear Khakis, Jeans, Chords lots of different trousers and they dont give a shit. :lol:

Quote from: "rosieposy87"

Is it just me or is this screaming "U ARE GONNA DIE :twisted: "

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
school uniforms?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 08:08:05 am »
There were also Prefects (i was one of them, hence my special tie- lol) who the teachers were extra strict on because we were supposed to be 'setting an example'.

are you going be made head girl too at the end of final exams at the Great Feast?  I'm just kidding.  The only time I have ever heard of a prefect is in Harry Potter, and most of the time Americans say "Perfects" and pretend they know what it is.  But to be made Prefect is an honor isn't it?

We never had a school uniform in public school, but we did have a "dress code" that was enforced my senior year of highschool.  We couldn't wear sweatshirts with hoods or big pockets, and we were no longer allowed to bring our backpacks into classes with us.  Girls couldn't wear spaghetti strap tank tops or short and skirts way above the knee.  And the whole student population tried to stage this walkout thing that failed miserably.  I really didn't care either way.

I am all for school uniforms in moderation.  It's really difficult if you're not in private school (in America at least) to instill it though.  My friend went to school in Florida and they had a whole catalogue of approved clothes all the students could wear, and they all cost the same price.  They could chose between kakhi skirts, pants or capris, and a different colored polo shirt with a vest and tie.  they had "dress down" days every month but it didn't cause a huge problem because all the students were from around the same economic class.  But if something like this was tried in a public school with so much economic variation it would be impossible.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
school uniforms?
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 08:20:27 am »
Quote from: "Dancernl"
There were also Prefects (i was one of them, hence my special tie- lol) who the teachers were extra strict on because we were supposed to be 'setting an example'.

are you going be made head girl too at the end of final exams at the Great Feast?  I'm just kidding.  The only time I have ever heard of a prefect is in Harry Potter, and most of the time Americans say "Perfects" and pretend they know what it is.  But to be made Prefect is an honor isn't it?

Ermm yeah, we had Head Girl and Head Boy too. And we had House Captains- our houses were Godwin, Tudor, Stuart and Norman. I was a senior prefect which meant that i had an extra bit of braiding on my blazer whereas normal prefects only got one around the collar- i had a piece on my breast pocket. But yeah, it was supposed to be an honour to be a prefect- although it just amounted in jobs really.

EDIT: I found a pic which displays our prefect stuff! The girl first on the left is a house captain for Norman- hence her blue badge, and see that coloured stuff round the blazer collar? Thats the prefect braid.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
school uniforms?
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 11:07:18 am »
my school's uniforms arent that strict at all..
i go to an all girl catholic school.
from start of school till before thanksgiving and after spring break till end of school we get to choose between baby blue or cotton candy pink skirts which usually go  down a little over half way above the knee. then we get to choose white, dark blue or forest green polo shirts to wear. we can either wear school sweatshirts or sweatshirts from a school sport or club. and we have to wear sneakers (this is the first year we've been able to wear sneakers that arent completely white)
the rest of the year is the same... but we dont get the blue or pink skirts, only red plaid skirts.
then we have dress uniforms which we have to wear on days when we have mass, assemblys or other special things. which is the red plaid skirt a white blouse, a red blazer, pantyhose and black dress shoes.

if we wear anything like pants or other non-school things, or dont wear dress uniforms when we're sposed to, we get detention.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
school uniforms?
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 12:58:56 pm »
Quote from: "Dancernl"
I am all for school uniforms in moderation.  It's really difficult if you're not in private school (in America at least) to instill it though.  My friend went to school in Florida and they had a whole catalogue of approved clothes all the students could wear, and they all cost the same price.  They could chose between kakhi skirts, pants or capris, and a different colored polo shirt with a vest and tie.  they had "dress down" days every month but it didn't cause a huge problem because all the students were from around the same economic class.  But if something like this was tried in a public school with so much economic variation it would be impossible.

i agree, i don't think dress codes/uniform codes are that big of a deal. if anything i think it would be more convenient. i don't think it'll cut down completely on the whole cliques thing though. no matter what, there are going to be cliques, and no amount of uniforms are going to prevent it.

bah and if they even tried to put a uniform code in our school, it would be a disaster. people are still whining about not being able to wear hoods.   :roll:

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
school uniforms?
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 12:21:38 pm »
I LOVE my uniform!

We get a lot of freedom with our uniform, though which is perhaps why I like it. . .(ready for all this freedom, it might scare little kids)

We have 3 colors in knee socks (red, grey, white!  Wow!  Whatelse?  2 colors for polos (red, white), 1 (white) blouse, a fleese (red), 2 different sweaters (cardigan or pullover both red) hmmmm, the boys can wear black or grey pants, the girls can wear black pants but EVERYONE wears the grey skirt  . . .Ohhh!  and we can wear whatver shoes we want . . .as long as they're black  . . .and they're dress shoes.

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
school uniforms?
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 12:48:40 pm »
Quote from: "TSE"
I LOVE my uniform!

We get a lot of freedom with our uniform, though which is perhaps why I like it. . .(ready for all this freedom, it might scare little kids)

We have 3 colors in knee socks (red, grey, white!  Wow!  Whatelse?  2 colors for polos (red, white), 1 (white) blouse, a fleese (red), 2 different sweaters (cardigan or pullover both red) hmmmm, the boys can wear black or grey pants, the girls can wear black pants but EVERYONE wears the grey skirt  . . .Ohhh!  and we can wear whatver shoes we want . . .as long as they're black  . . .and they're dress shoes.

wow so much freedom.....so much choice to wear....lol

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
school uniforms?
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 12:56:07 pm »
i love being creative and all and i think you guys are so lucky - i wish we had uniforms - we did not and i got sent home like 2x for dress code violation..... for wearing stuff that was iffy (it was not even breaking the rules - but that is for the teacher to decide - and there are soooo many rules - i think it would be damn easier to learn if we wore the same shit -

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
school uniforms?
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 01:39:09 pm »
Quote from: "danielmarko"
No no no no no!!

I went to a ''christian'' school which had uniforms, and damn ugly ones too. We had to be chocked with these ugly plaid ties, and if they were at all lossened, we'd get into trouble.

First of all - Do men just NOT understand we like them nicely dressed and in uniform? (ANY uniform too . . . As long as it's not, like, a garbage man or McDonald's one.)

Sure there are the thought benefits of a school uniform. As you named not have competition of what brand name your wearing, and if you have the 'coolest' shirt or whatever. There's a really simple cure for it, and I regret not finding it way earlier. DON'T CARE. Now I'm not saying, don't take a bath, and don't brush your teeth, I mean, why do you want to measure up to someone elses standards and constantly feel uncomfortable with yourself because whoever doesn't like your outfit or just your shirt?!

If Public Schools don't want uniforms, that's their problem. If kids feel bad 'cause they don't have enough money or the clothes or WHATEVER people are complaining about today, that's Public Schools problem. And will also not accept Public or, *ahem*, "Traditional" (which is about the biggest load of crap I've ever heard) Schools wear uniforms, though they do. Now do you see what's wrong with me? All this anger is from the OTHER schools wearing uniforms! 'Tis it!

Of course most people have the natural instinct to want to fit in. Note that I said most, I think there truly are people who truly DO NOT care. And I am one of them. I mean if _____ walks past me and gives me a weird look because my shirt doesn't say Abercrombie or what be it, does it make me any less of a person or make me a loser because ______ thinks they are the judge of everyone.

Well, now you're stooping down to ______'s level, saying ______ thinks he or she is the judge of everyone. Stop the stereotypes. You're guessing. Am I right? Okay, so . . . How do you know _______ wasn't looking at the person behind YOU because the person _______ was REALLY looking at had an American Eagle shirt on? Ooooo, Ooooo - See? You don't know. Who cares.

That is my rule in school. Do not judge anyone by what they wear. What do you know but that person could be living in a shed somewhere and trying to get through school so they can get out of their hell. What do you know but that person's parents are tightwades or cannot afford to buy you more clothes, and they are not of a legal age to work to be able to buy their own clothes.

Why can't everyone just dress normal? Or - Wait - Better yet . . . WE ALL BECOME NUDISTS! That way, you have nothing to compare, 'cept . . . Well, we won't get into it. But, I mean, come on.

I'll tell you this: We have a fairly strict dress code at school this year. I don't like wearing jeans all the time, and I don't like wearing kacki pants. I have one pair of black pants that I do not get into trouble for, and I wear them every single day[/b] and it bothers me NOT ONE BIT.

Okay, so . . . You've had to wear the same thing for 8 years, right? You have 2 things to choose from when it snows: A skirt, or getting in trouble for wearing sweatpants under your skirt, right? You think it's so bad that you have to wear a "uniform" and with your black-pants theory, I should be able to go to my school in . . . a thong and only a thong. It's NOT the uniform, Daniel. It's NOT the uniform. You're complaining . . . Yet you break the "code," day in and day out, with your black pants.

Sure there have been the stuck up asses that have said "don't you wear those pants everyday" and of course, being the mean ass I can be hit them back with something like "Didn't you have that hair cut since 2nd grade?" or something like "Maybe I'm poor."

Having fun judging people hypocritical Mr. _______?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not in a terrible financial situation, but I'm not a rich person either. I choose not to go buy 6 more pairs of pants, that I'll only wear to school, because they wouldn't be the type I would wear after school, I don't want to spend extra money so I can rotate pants and be ''accepted'' for the fact that I have more than one pair of pants. I do have more than one pair of pants, I just cannot wear them all to school and not get dress code violation.

You've already violated the "code - " Just no one's noticed.

I think anyone who does make fun of someone for their clothes are very stupid and self conscious. If you think it makes you cool by picking on people's clothes you turn out to get a majority of people disliking you.

Does that apply to haircuts, too?

Dress codes are horrible, because they do take away self expression, and self expression is being taken away too much.

That's the most shit I've ever heard. Self-expression . . . What, is that in the same category as kids shoot up their schools 'cause of the music they listen to?

To me not being able to wear the clothes you want is like not being able to decorate or organise you room.

Take me for example...If I had my walls completly covered in LP posters, and I came home and my mom had taken them all down and put up Nsync posters, and said that that was how I had to have my room, I don't think I would like it. It's like taking your style of clothes and making you wear what they find right.

If your Mom did that, she'd be wasting money. Therefore, she wouldn't have money to feed you or . . . whatever. She'd have spent it on those posters. So:

Your Mom = The School
Nsync Posters = Slight Uniform Code
Money = Time
Food = Lockers, Desks, Teachers, etc. (Shit you need.)

Schools would never have a bit of a uniform code, being that they'd be wasting their time trying to get you to stop wearing your . . . black pants or whatever . . . And they wouldn't have time to buy new desks, have 500+ lockers, and hire teachers. Does it make sense? I'm probably gonna have a bunch of people down my throat going, "What are you TALKING about?" But if you think about it . . . It makes senseeeeeee.

I mean come on, how much do you like looking like everyone else, you don't stick out in anyway, your just like a number in the line of students. You all look the same.

Who says you have to stick out? When you grow up and get a job, you'll be just another worker. When you die, you'll just be another person dying. Who's gonna say, "Man, he really wore those black pants and stuck out?"

That's one of the reason's I don't like preppiness. (Nothing against anyone who likes to dress in Abercrombie or anything, it's your choice and that's what makes it good.) BUT I don't see it as being cool when you walk into class and everyone else has on the same type of outfit from Abercrombie, they all look the same as you. It's soooo stupid!!

Stupid? How do you know it's not "in?" Just like, in your clique or group or whatever, all black is "in?"

I heart uniforms in Catholic School.

Blake

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LinkinPark.com
school uniforms?
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 02:07:04 pm »
Quote from: "PIBby"

Stupid? How do you know it's not "in?" Just like, in your clique or group or whatever, all black is "in?"

I heart uniforms in Catholic School.

I have not the time, mind set, energy or mood to reply to everything you said, but for now, I had to reply to this.

The all black is not so I can fit in with a a clique or group of any kind. I'm friends with people of any types of dressing.

The black I wear reflects my: religious views, music I like, and the way I feel, basically also because I don't dress like abercrombie type, and yet I don't dress like most of the 'goths.'

Sig & Av By LJ User: Shinodaguitar

Gina

• View Profile
school uniforms?
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 02:21:11 pm »
basicly what i think is... uniforms shouldn't be manditory... you should be able to wear what you want (within reason) and be able to express yourself. Now really, what is wearing black disturbing?...NOTHING. I can understand if you have yer hair dyed hot pink where it mite be a little distracting to some ppls learning, but wearing black doesn't at all do that.

As far as uniforms go, some ppl may not mind wearing them, but i for one would never want to have to wear a uniform. Yes, it makes everyone equal and doesnt allow for ppl to make fun of you for what you wear, but no matter what people get picked on, not just because of what ppl wear so that doesnt take care of any kind of problem.  

I dono, i guess i'm just thankful for going to a public school, where we're allowed to wear what we want... with some exceptions of course (which i agree with).
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.