Author Topic: Alkaline Trio  (Read 2790 times)

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
Alkaline Trio
« on: November 24, 2003, 05:54:10 pm »
woo hoo! i'm in looooooove with this band. If you like Taking Back Sunday, Saves The Day, and Fall Out Boy, you will heart this band as much as me  :wink:

Songs to download:

All On Black

Fatally Yours

We've Had Enough

Standard Break From Life

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Re: Alkaline Trio
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 08:08:32 am »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"
woo hoo! i'm in looooooove with this band. If you like Taking Back Sunday, Saves The Day, and Fall Out Boy, you will heart this band as much as me  :wink:

Songs to download:

All On Black

Fatally Yours

We've Had Enough

Standard Break From Life

They are solid, but not spectacular.  Fatally Yours is good.

I don't think I would compare them to Dashboard at ALL, but they do have some of the TBS sound.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Alkaline Trio
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 04:09:21 pm »
Dashboard Confessional is very much an emo only band. AT has some of that, but they're more what i call punkemo. not punk, but not all emo. i don't know if there's a term for that kind of music or not.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Alkaline Trio
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 12:32:11 pm »
Dashboard Confessional is very much an emo only band. AT has some of that, but they're more what i call punkemo. not punk, but not all emo. i don't know if there's a term for that kind of music or not.

Emo-rock or Emo-core are both pretty commonly used.  Emo, however, has it's roots in punk rock music.  That's where it started.  Then it spread to other things where now people consider bands like Dashboard and the Get Up Kids to be the frontrunners of Emo.  Weird.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Alkaline Trio
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 03:25:36 pm »
lol, the many offsprings of rock and emo....too many to really catagorize, i think, because a lot of bands are very different in their musical style (ie: Alkaline Trio and Dashboard).

I think what people confuse alot are Punk and "punk." to me, Punk is hard core punk, like the bands that started out in the '80's. "punk" is bands like MXPX, who have a punk style, but are not hardcore Punk.  And since Emo just started out, it's kind of hard for people to really tell which is emo and which isn't. okay so the emo and punk analysations had nothing to do with each other but umm....they make me feel smart so we'll keep 'em :-P

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Alkaline Trio
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 03:49:04 pm »
lol, the many offsprings of rock and emo....too many to really catagorize, i think, because a lot of bands are very different in their musical style (ie: Alkaline Trio and Dashboard).

I think what people confuse alot are Punk and "punk." to me, Punk is hard core punk, like the bands that started out in the '80's. "punk" is bands like MXPX, who have a punk style, but are not hardcore Punk.  And since Emo just started out, it's kind of hard for people to really tell which is emo and which isn't. okay so the emo and punk analysations had nothing to do with each other but umm....they make me feel smart so we'll keep 'em :-P

lol.  I hear you.  For that matter, no one has been making rock and roll since the 50's..... but most of the time we consider the evolutions of a musical style to be included in the category.

For example, most people would tell you that MXPX, NOFX, Face to Face or Rancid are all Punk bands... but clearly they are not the same kind of music as The Clash, The Sex Pistols and the Ramones... but they are an evolution of that kind of music.

Music can be hard to classify, that's why we have Punk, Hard-core, Ska-core and Emo-rock which all refer to VERY similar styles of music.  Just variations on the theme to differentiate... but they are all basically just rock music.

---Andrew

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Alkaline Trio
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 04:23:39 pm »
exactly. my best friend puts MXPX and co. in punk, and we've actually gotten in an arugment about it :-P i figure, it's just music, so i might as well not get in a fuss about it. (however i'm still intent on saying i'm right and she's wrong)