Author Topic: INVITATION FOR NESSAHOLICS - Dec 6th, NYC, NY  (Read 148084 times)

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
INVITATION FOR NESSAHOLICS - Dec 6th, NYC, NY
« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2003, 04:25:53 pm »
Quote from: "party"
Wassup Gina!?! Yes there's a way for a price. And I moved today, my PC is disassembled, I dun't even know if my phone line is working! I'll figure that out as soon as I locate my telephone (I'm at the public library). Other than that everything else in my life is just in t-t-total disarray. A perfect time to blast of to The Big Apple! I'm concerned that I won't get home in time to drive to Columbus for a concert... HEY! - Ya' gotta' have your priorities!!! If I don't go to NYC I'll be in Dayton Sat night...  :arrow: unpacking can wait till next year, I'll buy some new undies to make it thru...

Yes for a price indeed.  Oh goodness, its hard enough that you moved today, and now you might have to figure out arrangements in a matter of a day tomorrow without a working phone line or computer..eep!  If I can help at all, I sure will (not sure what I could do, but if you can think of something let me know).  Good luck with everything!   :D
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 03, 2003, 04:46:38 pm »
Quote from: "Gina"

If you get chosen, and I do too by some chance... you know you're MORE than welcome to stay with my family, or atleast hang out with us if it makes you feel better.  And we could make sure you got to the airport and all that, I'm sure.  :D  Don't worry.... in any case I'm sure if you get picked, someone else on here will too, and you'll be able to hang out with them afterwards.

awww... Gina!! that is SO sweet of you! it does make me feel better! :)

we'll see what happens with the contest! i really hope we both get to go! and i'll talk to my parents! :)
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2003, 04:53:03 pm »
Holly we have to win together iwill hang out with you dont worry it will all be over soo i was scared when i went to europe but just thin k about  ur goal and u will be fine mine was landing and seeing the eiffel tour urs is landing and seeing vanessa dont worrk it will be a peice of cake
Peace
-S

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: December 03, 2003, 04:54:14 pm »
Quote from: "KULPDOGG"
my mom was like "but what would i do if you won?"
are we allowed to bring our parent(s) to this? or do they have to be like stuck in a hotel room, or wondering around NY?
There seems to be limited space wherever it is which is why i'm guessing that only 20 people can go.  I would assume that it's for *only* the people who submit letters, not them and their family/friends etc ;)

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2003, 04:56:51 pm »
Quote from: "katia"
Quote from: "KULPDOGG"
my mom was like "but what would i do if you won?"
are we allowed to bring our parent(s) to this? or do they have to be like stuck in a hotel room, or wondering around NY?
There seems to be limited space wherever it is which is why i'm guessing that only 20 people can go.  I would assume that it's for *only* the people who submit letters, not them and their family/friends etc ;)

-katia

yea that iswhat i told my mom
cut to nothing to do with that
holly are u staing in nyc or are you going home that night?
Peace
-S

party

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - awlornuttin
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2003, 05:01:04 pm »
Thanks, Gina! Don't worry, I got a handle on it and it'll work out just fine...
Anyhoo, the Liberry is closin' and I better get home... You can hang out at my new place if Ness ever makes it back to The Rock And Roll Capital of The World! I (hope she makes it to The Odeon here, we can get early entry tix to the place.....)

See Ya' Saturday!!! :razz:

onajourney

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
keep it real
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
I have a little advice for all who are waiting or any of you who are chosen.  I know exactly what you are going through.  Trust me.

Here is my advice…most importantly don’t have any expectations.  Whatever happens, enjoy it, even if nothing happens.  Just remember it is their gig and they may not be thinking about this thing the same way that you are.  Be realistic. Though this may seem like the best thing to ever happen to you, particularly if you get picked, beware and stay grounded…you are only human and you may think that Stephan and Vanessa are personally thinking about you, be careful, this may be fun to think about, but it is more likely a mind trap.   It may be natural to personalize this in your mind in a way that you imagine all sorts of scenarios about meeting them, but try to keep it in perspective.  I am not trying to be cruel and diminish the anticipation and enjoyment of the experience, but they have a lot on their minds and they have their lives to live and their own really close friends already.

This is a commercial venture.  Though it is apparently a sincere offer, they are going to do what is in their best interest, at their convenience and in their own good time.  It may not be perfect for you.  You may come in contact with people who will not share your enthusiasm or reflect the level of excitement you feel is warranted.  Remember, it is not personal, it is just their job.  They spend every day with the Wizard of Oz behind the curtains.  To them it may not be a big deal, just another gig, and you won’t be able to understand why they don’t act like you feel, like you are in the “Emerald City”.  Be aware that you both can enjoy each other but you are truly in different worlds and perceive the experience in completely different ways.  You are getting just a taste of it right now as you wait to be contacted.  Remember, you are not in control and you have to go with the flow and have no expectations.

I only point this out, so that whatever experience you have, it will be great.  The waiting, the apparent neglect, is simply how it is, no one planned it, even though you think someone should have done a better job.  (it can always be better) Stuff happens, and if you chose it to be good, it will be good.  If you keep your expectations low, then that is your best chance for having a great experience.  If you expect too much from Vanessa there is a good chance things will not go the way you thought they should.  The last thing you want to do is put Vanessa up on a pedestal so high where there is no way she can stay way up there.  She will most likely fall.  You could risk losing the enjoyment of her music, so chill and appreciate every little thing that you receive as a gift.  For many of us who will not be chosen, we have already received our gift.  In the same way that you get to imagine what it might be like to be a millionaire after buying a lottery ticket before they pick the winning numbers and realizing you didn’t win…you have been able to submit your essays and been able to imagine what it would be like to be chosen.  You have had an experience with Vanessa.  This is a good thing.  

Finally, don’t take anything personally.  If you don’t get picked it doesn’t mean you didn’t write a great essay or that you are not a great Vanessa Carlton Fan, or they don’t like you.  You know your appreciation for Vanessa and her music cannot be adequately described in written words.  Vanessa and Stephan are busy people with a lot on their plates.  We may view them as perfect, so we expect perfections from them, but they and their representatives don’t always do what is perfect.  If they seem to neglect us sometimes, we have to forgive them.

Have a great time waiting, (I am serious) you have been given a great gift….the anticipation and the anxiety are all the stuff of songs and will instill in you a lot of creative thought and power.  Write lyrics…write a song.  Use it and make yourself strong…let it give you purpose and motivation.  Try to remember this experience and make it a part of you for the rest of your life, for the good in your life.

peace

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2003, 05:46:13 pm »
Well said onajourney.

I'm definantly not going but it is so nice to be given the chance.  I'm excited for the people who are going to be going.  I'm excited about it and I'm not going!!  I'm such a dork. :razz:

tylor

sayyouwould

• MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2003, 06:00:41 pm »
I'm jealous and I'm being a sour puss about it. lol I'm having these evil jealousy thoughts but I shouldn't be.

good luck to anyone who's going. god knows you deserve it...and and and...if no one gets in I'll send mean e-mails to vanessa. haha no I won't but ..yeah. haha
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

JazzyManda

• AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2003, 06:23:58 pm »
Gina has a good point/idea. it's a major duh that more than one person from NESSAholics will be going to this thing. and everybody on here is nice and friendly and all that so i assume the nessaholics from here (who win) could hang out in NYC together.

i really hope though that the people who do win can get over to NYC. it would be like the worst thing in the world to win and not be able to go because of plane tickets or something.

i'm really excited for you guys and i wish ya luck. i hope those who win can get tickets over there and have tons of fun!!

and think about it this way... even if you don't win, at least you know that Vanessa has read your essay, and that's pretty cool.

Amanda

Gina

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2003, 06:28:43 pm »
Quote from: "Holly"

If you get chosen, and I do too by some chance... you know you're MORE than welcome to stay with my family, or atleast hang out with us if it makes you feel better.  And we could make sure you got to the airport and all that, I'm sure.  :D  Don't worry.... in any case I'm sure if you get picked, someone else on here will too, and you'll be able to hang out with them afterwards.

awww... Gina!! that is SO sweet of you! it does make me feel better! :)

we'll see what happens with the contest! i really hope we both get to go! and i'll talk to my parents! :)

:D  I don't wanna get my hopes too high, but... if it does work out that way, that we both get to go- we'll definately help ya out and it'd be great to get to hang out with ya!
Gina

Gina

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2003, 06:30:49 pm »
Quote from: "JazzyManda"

and think about it this way... even if you don't win, at least you know that Vanessa has read your essay, and that's pretty cool.

Most definately! I think that's really awesome that she even is reading mine!
Gina

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2003, 06:37:02 pm »
Quote from: "JazzyManda"

Most definately! I think that's really awesome that she even is reading mine!

yeah... its great that she's reading all the emails!! i love thinking that maybe she's read mine already or soon will and finally knows some of the things i have been wanting to tell her for so long! :)

and whoever gets picked... it'll be even more special! because it is actually Vanessa making the decision! so it'd be like... Vanessa chose you! :)

i think it's totally awesome that she's taking the time to do this herself! most artists would just have their people do it. but it shows Vanessa is still down to earth and as awesome as ever! and that she cares about her fans! :)
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2003, 06:58:24 pm »
I agree whole heartedly with Greg.  We have been given a gift even if no one we know wins.  I can not really think of any other artist who has done something similar.  I know that Dave Matthews does random stuff, but nothing where he hand picks fans....  anyway, I am very happy to know that Vanessa is reading the faxes and emails herself.  Like Holly said, as least she will know how I feel and how much her music means to me and what it did for me.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

kaysha

• Administrator
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2003, 07:32:03 pm »
I agree with OnAJourney (Greg).  Thanks for taking the time to compose your thoughts and articulate them so beautifully...

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton