Author Topic: About the VCMB  (Read 8343 times)

mrcoffee

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
About the VCMB
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2003, 11:58:58 am »
Is anyone posting on the original board at the moment?  My PC says no-one has posted anything for nearly 9 hours!

i dont know what to put

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
About the VCMB
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2003, 12:00:12 pm »
nope its broken

vive-la-france

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • ICQ Messenger - 165806753
    • MSN Messenger - Thomas2405831
    • View Profile
    • http://perso.club-internet.fr/alain.rouchaud
About the VCMB
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2003, 12:40:04 pm »
it's not broken

it's .... frozen
lol   :D    :D
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

mrcoffee

• View Profile
About the VCMB
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2003, 12:41:45 pm »
It's completely duff...  "The server is busy"

vive-la-france

• View Profile
yep
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2003, 12:43:45 pm »
the server is busy but what is it busy about ??
i think it is writing some 00000000000 on its hard disk
 :D  :lol:
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

mrcoffee

• View Profile
About the VCMB
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2003, 12:48:55 pm »
I reckon it's playing tic-tac-toe against itself and getting tied up in knots.

vive-la-france

• View Profile
i discovered
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2003, 12:51:44 pm »
PM are working  :D  that's the only thing that is still working  :lol:  :lol:
Thomas aka Dr Doolittle

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
About the VCMB
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2003, 02:01:53 pm »
Aww...

yeah i decided to come here since the other board had all that drama going on, and i didn't feel like dealing with all that anymore and even i was turning mean so i came here!  :D hehe

funny though I was feeling the same way as alot of the people that posted on Jons thread. I was actually just chatting with alot of oldies about it and they felt the same way.

im glad to be here though! this may not be the official VCMB but it's the best thing we have right now...no arguing or anything i love it! let's just wait and see if Nessa will post here...hehe  :wink:

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
About the VCMB
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2003, 06:15:54 pm »
I really didn't want to speak out about this... but I did over on the VCMB and I guess I will just C&P what I said from there to here.

------------------------

I mean, this is a really hard subject to tackle... but I think a lot of people have very good points.

Just in my case, in general, when people (at least this is how I feel) come to a message board, they want to entertain themselves, or at least have fun and be with friends. They don't want to see stuff like "This Artist Sucks Ass!!!", "WhY R YeW NoT TaLkInG tO mEeH!!!!?!?! i Am LeAvInG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", "I hate __________", "Newbies Suck", "The Old Timers Suck", etc. etc. etc. ...

I have been to a LOT of message boards in my day, and this is the only one I have stayed at for a long period of time because it has not been like that until recently. And no I do not blame the influx of junk posts to this board on newbies, or any one single "group" of posters. In general, most of the posters on this board are good and contribute to the board. It is just that once an artist gets popular, there will always be people who want to come to their board and start crap. And that is what happened here. And I guess a lot of the old timers don't want to deal with all of that BS, and that is why they left, or want to leave. And to be honest, I don't even feel like dealing with that BS some days. That is why I lurk and post on the important posts, or in threads that are not derogetory, etc.

And as for the old timers not wanting to help newbies? I am sure there is a few who are a little rigid, but in general they are all helpful. When I came here almost a year ago people like Joe, nikkee, Let, Mike, Tricia, etc. embraced me and helped me become somebody here. It didn't happen overnight. At first it is very discouraging, if you think people don't pay attention to you, but they do, trust me. I know most of the new posters, cause I lurk and read posts. A lot of the older members do too. And as having been embraced by some of the older members, I try to do my share to welcome newbies and that when I see that I can. If I see a thread that says "Hi, I'm new", I will always hit that up and say hi. I kind of feel as if its my duty, because if I don't do that, then I won't be giving back to the board, like I was given back to when I first came here. And there are a lot of other people who give back to this board who were embraced by the old timers too. People like Pete, Daniel, etc. Plus think about this, Kevin (BV), is one of the oldest posters here and look what he does for everyone on the board. He gets lyrics, info, everything. And then people say that the old timers don't give back. I don't buy it, I really don't. But whatever. ...

And I guess another thing that makes people leave is threads like these, because people don't feel like fighting about a message board, because most times to them, it is just not worth it. But hey, I figured I'd put in my two cents, since I haven't said anything on the matter.

-Brian
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
About the VCMB
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2003, 06:43:25 pm »
wow, excellent post with several good points!  I think as an artist becomes more popular, you can control and limit the trolling to still make an enjoyable place for old skool peeps and newbies.  I think the VCMB was at a disadvantage from the start though... for a few reasons...
1) fullerene is an inferior product
2) mods->poster ratio is way off
3) lack of rules/forum organization of topics

It's quite sad what has happened to the official board, as it is where Vanessa posts... i wish the record label would take a look and turn things around there.  But in the meantime, we can have our own place to chat and discuss topics intelligently and without flame wars or trolls :)

-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
About the VCMB
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2003, 06:47:08 pm »
Yeah, you pretty much hit it right on the head there Katia. Jon couldn't be there 24/7, so no matter what trolls and that get through. That is why it would be nice of the VCMB had more than one mod, but it doesn't. But a place like here, or the EvBoard which has lots of mods can squish trolls before they get off the ground and ruin the fun for people.

-Brian
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

Jophess

• View Profile
    • Twitter
    • Email
About the VCMB
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2003, 07:11:07 pm »
Totally agreed Nerea... That is very true. Although I am not one of the "Big Dawgs" this place really is better. For some odd reason it feels more like home. I am still going to post on the VCMB though.
Joe

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
About the VCMB
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2003, 08:39:39 pm »
Katia, i agree fullerene should actually Univeral should take control and look at what's going on, that board is like a town going through decades and developments, like in the beginning it was like the 1950's everyoen was nice and happy, then like sept oct there was a lil drama so i'll say thats the 70's but now it's the complete 80's with violence, and no respect lol, it reminds me of NYC in the 80's how it went from being so nice to so bad but look at nyc now it's great so that board has hope if we all can come together and respect and share the boards

Mike
.........the one and only!