Author Topic: geeze..doesn't anyone read?  (Read 14244 times)

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
geeze..doesn't anyone read?
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2004, 07:01:22 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Quote from: "JazzyManda"
anyone read Lord of the Flies? i've been bored in my english class (i've read all the books for this year) so i've just been picking up some that we're going to read next year. but i've heard this book is good..

STOP! PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND STEP AWAY FROM THE BOOK!

8O

God, that book was dreadful...I got to 11 pages left in the book, skipped 1o and red the last page...

I read it because in 8th grade I needed a book for Eng. and my teacher suggested it...horrid.

but that is my opinion.

bleh, i share joey's opinion. one of the worst books i've ever had to read for school ever, as well as one of the worst books i've ever read.

Right now i'm attempting to tackle The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. We're not reading anything in Ap English, which is weird, so i figured i'd pick something up to fill in the void :-P But if my friend who works at the library can get me a copy of Lucy Maud Montgomery's journals, then that's what i'll be switching to.

LimeTwister

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2004, 07:22:36 pm »
lol jess-the sad thing is I wasn't forced to read it...I just did.  wow *what an idiot I am*

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2004, 09:05:09 pm »
I work at a bookstore

I read all the time...
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2004, 01:04:46 am »
I'm just finishing "The Hobbit" for the 2nd time (but in English this time, woohoo!).
Then I'm not sure what I'm gonna read. I bought "Hyperion" and "Fall of Hyperion" a couple of months ago but haven't read them yet. They seem to be good though.
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2004, 04:43:06 am »
lol jess-the sad thing is I wasn't forced to read it...I just did.  wow *what an idiot I am*

lol, well it's probably good that you did. chances are, you'll be made to read it sometime in school. And it's supposedly considered one of the great works that a lot of people in college will be familiar with.

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2004, 05:40:34 pm »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"
anyone read Lord of the Flies? i've been bored in my english class (i've read all the books for this year) so i've just been picking up some that we're going to read next year. but i've heard this book is good..

8O

God, that book was dreadful...I got to 11 pages left in the book, skipped 1o and red the last page...

I read it because in 8th grade I needed a book for Eng. and my teacher suggested it...horrid.

but that is my opinion.

bleh, i share joey's opinion. one of the worst books i've ever had to read for school ever, as well as one of the worst books i've ever read.

Right now i'm attempting to tackle The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. We're not reading anything in Ap English, which is weird, so i figured i'd pick something up to fill in the void :-P But if my friend who works at the library can get me a copy of Lucy Maud Montgomery's journals, then that's what i'll be switching to.

yeah, i've read to like page 41 and it's soooo boring. gosh. it's like something i would read in 5th grade. not too challenging at all. i don't understand why we're reading it in honors english next year. plus i've read like a million "cast away" novels. *sigh*

anyone like Sci-fi novels? i love em. i've read this one series... i forgot the author.. well, the first book was called Ender's Game. it was really good. then Xenocide. i forgot the other ones. but they were good. i have to look up who the author is...

Amanda

badsrx7

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2004, 07:28:21 pm »
I'm reading Hamlet (for school)

and I amm really enjoying it..

I hate this year.. I dont get to read for pleasure..for I have too much work.
I CANNOT WAIT for summer when I can sit on the beach with a book and just read and relax!.. how nice does that sound right about now? when it's march 16th and SNOWING. blah!

LimeTwister

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2004, 07:53:45 pm »
reading for pleasure....ay yi yi...i mean fun.

snapple936

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snapple936
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2004, 08:05:21 pm »

8O

but that is my opinion.

Oh no oh no oh no! that is one of my favorite books ever!  THE SYMBOLISM PEOPLE THE SYMBOLISM!!!!!

i absolutely loved picking "the lord of the flies" apart- it's one of those books that i feel shouldn't be read until junior or senior year of high school because when i had to read it for school in 8th grade, it was on the literal level... it's so much deeper than just a story about boys on an island.

oh i love it.

:-)

kelley
...i'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun, you know that only the good

badsrx7

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2004, 08:30:25 pm »
reading for pleasure....ay yi yi...i mean fun.

would you rather my saying reading for fun?

oh whatever.

lord of the flies..'tis true about the symbolism.. the only thing that got me through that book was looking at the big picture..

LimeTwister

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2004, 12:24:46 pm »
the "i mean fun" was my touch of sarcasm...

and Lord of the Flies is just so boring...

vanessafan18

• You aren't tryin'
    • MSN Messenger - Gfoster27@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RedDitty87
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2004, 12:41:34 pm »
the "i mean fun" was my touch of sarcasm...

and Lord of the Flies is just so boring...

I have to agree with Joey on that comment...I didn't get into it  :(

Thank so much for the sig Scotty!! <3 It's gorgeous!

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2004, 09:15:49 pm »
anyone like Sci-fi novels? i love em. i've read this one series... i forgot the author.. well, the first book was called Ender's Game. it was really good. then Xenocide. i forgot the other ones. but they were good. i have to look up who the author is...

Amanda

Orson Scott Card.  

Speaker for the Dead, Children of the Mind, Ender's Shadow, Shadow Puppets

The last two are spinoffs that focus on Bean.

That is the only Sci-Fi series I was able to read.  The rest lose me right away.

I had to give up the Sci-Fi section the day I got it because I looked at all the books all "o_O" and started freaking out.  They gave me classics, foreign language and all hardback fiction instead.  Much better.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2004, 01:14:42 pm »
gah! I just got "Waiting for Godot" "The Stranger" and "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" to read for english, all due within the next week! *hits head against the wall*

guess i won't be looking for an outside book read anymore. *throws "The Foutainhead" away*

JazzyManda

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JazzyTrumpet07
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2004, 03:50:59 pm »
Quote from: "tricia"

Amanda

Orson Scott Card.  

Speaker for the Dead, Children of the Mind, Ender's Shadow, Shadow Puppets

The last two are spinoffs that focus on Bean.

That is the only Sci-Fi series I was able to read.  The rest lose me right away.

I had to give up the Sci-Fi section the day I got it because I looked at all the books all "o_O" and started freaking out.  They gave me classics, foreign language and all hardback fiction instead.  Much better.

yes! that's it! i've read most of the series. then there was this other book that wasn't an Ender series book... i can't remember that name either! lol. i read them all last summer and i can't remember the title. it's funny, i can remember like what happens in books but i can never remember the titles, and like hardly ever the author. lol. yeah, i haven't read many Sci-Fis. they get really complicated and start using big words and they're not even real english words. lol.

i'm reading Romeo and Juliet rigth now in english. it's actually a pretty good. i always thought it was Tybalt who was the peacful one... boy was i off. lol

Amanda