Author Topic: All you choir geeks..  (Read 4991 times)

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« on: February 03, 2004, 04:42:30 pm »
:wink:  What are ya'll singin in Choir?

We're doing the "Gloria in D" by Vivaldi...  I wasn't a huge fan at first but I'm really starting to like it.  And its actually quite challenging for our choir.  We're gonna sing the entire thing.
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 05:50:12 pm »
That's what we sang last year in choir too! Are you guys singing the whole thing? or just certain movements?

this year we're working on Carmina Burana. We're only doing selections though, it's really difficult! Our choir is only about 50 students, and there are times when it splits in to two seperate choirs, so it's hard to have enough people per parts!

We sing a lot of Moses Hogan pieces as well (rip). Here My Prayer is my favorite one by him!

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 08:55:18 pm »
So far I've been able to sing Verdi's Requiem and Motzart's 9th Symphony with a full orchestra.  It's the most amazing experience ever.  This year we are working on the Carmina Burana, Brahms requiem, Gournd Requiem, Laudate Dominum, Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves by Verdi and some other random stuff.  I love to sing these classical opuses, it's a once in a lifetime oppertunity.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

divasteph

• VCUBs
  • Martha Stewart!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - stephlava2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/stephaniepressman
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 07:01:51 am »
i havent sang in choir or chorus since HS - but i loved singing "nightengale sang in berkley square"

Gina

• View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 12:20:13 pm »
Quote from: "jlmusicchick"
That's what we sang last year in choir too! Are you guys singing the whole thing? or just certain movements?

this year we're working on Carmina Burana. We're only doing selections though, it's really difficult! Our choir is only about 50 students, and there are times when it splits in to two seperate choirs, so it's hard to have enough people per parts!

We sing a lot of Moses Hogan pieces as well (rip). Here My Prayer is my favorite one by him!

Yeah we're gonna sing the entire thing.  :D  Should be interesting.  only 50 people... oh that sorta sucks.  I think theres like 90 in ours.
Gina

badsrx7

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 01:15:35 pm »
We did twooo movements of Gloria last year .. but I didn't sing.. I played viola in the orchestra.. and chorus (obviously) sang.

We played.. Gloria in excelsis.. and.. cum sancto spiritu..

they ended up sounding really good (surprisingly)

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 03:00:23 pm »
Quote from: "badsrx7"
We did twooo movements of Gloria last year .. but I didn't sing.. I played viola in the orchestra.. and chorus (obviously) sang.

We played.. Gloria in excelsis.. and.. cum sancto spiritu..

they ended up sounding really good (surprisingly)

Ooh awesome! we just had a pianist come in, but i'm sure it would have sounded wicked with the strings behind the choir!

Gina

• View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 03:02:36 pm »
we're having some strings toooo... i think actually from the BC pops because my friends mom plays for them :wink:
Gina

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 03:27:08 pm »
Quote from: "Gina"
we're having some strings toooo... i think actually from the BC pops because my friends mom plays for them :wink:

cool!

Laura

• View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 03:46:03 pm »
Right now we're singing.. The Water is wide.. I think that's what it is called. It goes like "I leaned my back.. up against an oak.. I thought it was.. a trusty tree.." etc. it is a pretty song, we are just learning it.

I think there are more.. I just can't think of them.. i'll post em' if I remember when I go back to school on Tuesday.

I LOVE Mixed Chorus it's so fun. It hasn't been that great in the past, but it is pretty cool this year. Last semester was the best.. my favorite song that we did was called "Siyahamba" fun song to do.

Laura

• View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 03:51:05 pm »
Quote from: "badsrx7"
We played.. Gloria in excelsis..

omg we sang that song last semester! It seemed forever to learn.. I think we sang that at our Christmas concert it was just the Mixed Chorus people. That song is freakin HARD to sing. I cannot sing that high.. it was weird learning.  :?  I love the song tho, don't get me wrong.

Oh and you guys are lucky.. well we have a lot of people in the Choirs when all the classes come together, but in like Mixed Chorus we only have about 11 people.. our class is so quiet AGAIN this semester when we sing.. ahh it drives me nuts!

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 04:42:40 pm »
Quote from: "Laura"
Right now we're singing.. The Water is wide.. I think that's what it is called. It goes like "I leaned my back.. up against an oak.. I thought it was.. a trusty tree.." etc. it is a pretty song, we are just learning it.

I think there are more.. I just can't think of them.. i'll post em' if I remember when I go back to school on Tuesday.

I LOVE Mixed Chorus it's so fun. It hasn't been that great in the past, but it is pretty cool this year. Last semester was the best.. my favorite song that we did was called "Siyahamba" fun song to do.

I love The Water Is Wide! have  you  heard Charlotte Church's version of it? If you haven't you must download it and hear it, it's awesome!

lol we sang Siyahamba in the 8th grade, it is a fun song!

Gina

• View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 04:49:19 pm »

we did it when i was in 9th grade teehee
Gina

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 05:24:09 pm »
my school doesnt have a chior! i'm in vocal tech though, which is basically the same thing, but it focuses more on solo work. we do sing together like 4 times a year though.
For my next recital I think I'm going to sing "Part of Your World" from the Little Mermaid! I love that song!!
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Laura

• View Profile
All you choir geeks..
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 07:29:35 pm »

I love The Water Is Wide! have  you  heard Charlotte Church's version of it? If you haven't you must download it and hear it, it's awesome!

Wow, you know that song? awesome! I am beginning to LOVE it! And I haven't heard that version, but it sounds neat!

And you guys did Siyahamba in 8th grade? Wow i'm a Senior.. that is crazy haha well I was the only Senior in my Chorus class last semester so I guess it is cool lol but I soo love that song! I remember before a Showcase all the Choir's had we all were singing that song for a rehearsal outside the Choir room, our class kinda joined them haha it was great.