Author Topic: The Passion Of The Christ  (Read 30563 times)

xxjenniferxx

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/xsorealx/Jesus.html
The Passion Of The Christ
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2004, 01:18:43 am »
Quote from: "Manda"
Jen, Jen, Jen...someone once told me, that your not a true mexican until you own a bootleg video. Since I am hispanic, I own many bootlegs, on Sunday night we went and picked up The Passion of the Christ movie, I watched it about two times, and didn't like it.

:P

Manda

(youngin' my ass! 17 year olds are allowed to watch R rated films!)

when you say picked it up, you mean at the store?..lol
yer confusing me..sorry
and why didnt you like it?

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2004, 07:27:32 am »
Quote from: "Fairy"

I would not go to the movies with you, in a shoe
with a shoe, get a clue !!!!!!!!!

hahaha, <3

WAIT.. who you calling underage? OMFG.. learn to read.  :roll:  :roll:

andrew is a goober.

Blah blah blah.

Actually, you caught me.  I can't read or write.  :dr evil:

Yeah, and notice I didn't post on your birthday thread?  Yeah.  So, take that!  Whos the goober now?!? hu?!?

I PWN j00000000000!!111!!1 133T 4 3\/r!!
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2004, 07:31:18 am »
Quote from: "Holly"
Supposidly this movie is very anti-Semitic and very faithful to John's gospel (which is anti-Semitic), is this true?
And I also heard it's not very faithful to the historical Jesus.

But like 99% of the people I've talked to who have seen it say it's amazing and they loved it.

There are issues.... let me see if I can find the post my divinity student friend made on another board.....

"So anyway, I just got back from seeing this movie. I don't recommend it to any non-Christians. Definitely do not see it if you are not Christian. Only Christians should see it. Well, now that the reverse psychology is out of the way...

I'm rather stunned. It was a hard movie to see. I told myself that no matter what happened I would not avert my eyes from the screen and I stuck to that.

I found myself thinking numerous times that I wanted to devote my life to Jesus Christ, which is rather ironic in a way. It was nearly overwhelming.

I tried to keep myself focused upon how true the movie was to the scripture. Gibson et al did a good job on the whole. It was reasonably exact with a few exceptions where the writers did some guesswork as to what might have happened to certain characters before, during and after key scenes.

Things that do not appear in scripture that I liked:

1. The frequent appearances of Satan. While I felt that this was a useful and even symbolically excellent device, it is not exactly scriptural.

2. The torment and eventual death of Judas. Vivid, frightening and very good, but not in the Bible. In Acts, Judas flings himself off a cliff and his entrails burst, etc. In the movie, he just hangs himself.

3. The second thief on the cross makes light of Jesus' promise to the first thief and is immediately set upon by a raven, which pecks out his eye.

Things that do appear in the scripture that were left out:

1. The actual blame. They did not subtitle the high priest's condemnation of the Jewish people, which I found disappointing. The claim is made: "His blood is on our heads and on the heads of our children."

2. Much of Jesus' sayings and responses to his accusers.

3. The scene in which they put a sack over Jesus head and taunted him. To me, that is one of the most gripping parts of his torture and it makes me want to just beg forgiveness every time I hear it or read it. I wish they had put that in the film.

---

My thoughts? It's too early to tell. I will sleep on it and hopefully not have nightmares about it. So far I believe: Every Christian should see this movie at least once a year to remember what it's really all about.

Non Christians: Stay away. And get the large popcorn. And accept Jesus Christ, the Messiah, as your Lord and Savior. "

Edit: And on the anti-semetic comments... well, Jesus WAS killed by the Jews.  It's like making a movie about WW2 and saying it is anti-germanic.  Well DUH.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

Fairy

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilfairydotorg
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2004, 09:01:29 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

hahaha, <3

andrew is a goober.

Blah blah blah.

Yeah, and notice I didn't post on your birthday thread?  Yeah.  So, take that!  Whos the goober now?!? hu?!?

oh, how I missed you Andrew..

<3

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2004, 09:03:10 am »

hahaha, <3

andrew is a goober.

Blah blah blah.

oh, how I missed you Andrew..

<3

Awwwwwwww.  How snugly.  Gag.

This thread needs more people dying on the cross.  :BarabusJam:

---Andrew

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2004, 04:18:11 pm »
Edit: And on the anti-semetic comments... well, Jesus WAS killed by the Jews.  It's like making a movie about WW2 and saying it is anti-germanic.  Well DUH.

Well... people are not totally sure if it was completely the Jew's fault, so putting full blame on the Jews would be anti-semitic.
I'm just really interested in this after learning about the historical Jesus.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2004, 05:48:52 pm »

Well... people are not totally sure if it was completely the Jew's fault, so putting full blame on the Jews would be anti-semitic.
I'm just really interested in this after learning about the historical Jesus.

No no no.  People are pretty much positive it was the Jews' fault.  It is Roman record that the Jewish leaders brought Jesus before the Roman corts for trial.  Barabas was a HISTORICAL person.  There are records of his release and Jesus Crucifiction.

There there's that whole NEW TESTEMENT thing, where people who lived within one lifespan of Jesus' death WROTE about it.

We KNOW the Jews had Jesus killed.

---Andrew

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2004, 07:09:54 pm »
dude, just because someone wrote it means you have to believe it?
I'm a Christian, but that doesnt mean that I think every word in the bible is true.
There are MANY scholars that believe that the Jews are not completely the blame for Jesus's death...
First of all, he was cruxified on sabbath, which would make that ILLEGAL to do, or even be tried by the Jews. Which makes it seem that the Romans had a large deal to do with it. They were terrorizing the Jews the whole time back then, trying the gain control. They even made Jesus go into hiding every time Jesus would preach in a big city, cause they feared that he might gain control of the people. So there is a big reason THEY wanted him dead too.

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2004, 07:19:12 pm »
I'm a Christian, but that doesnt mean that I think every word in the bible is true.

:? hmm

First of all, he was cruxified on sabbath, which would make that ILLEGAL to do, or even be tried by the Jews.

He was cruxified on a Friday, Sabbath was Saturday.

And about the Romans/Jews issue... there is enough blaim to go around and it is really a moot point because it was the sins of ALL believers that put him on the cross, not just *insert race here*.

Manda

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2004, 07:27:39 pm »
Quote from: "xxjenniferxx"
yer confusing me..sorry

We go to downtown LA and pick up bootlegs!!!

w00t w00t, thats the way to do it.

;)

Manda

oh yes, the reason, It was boring! I didn't cry at all, I winced maybe once, when they hammered him up on the cross, but that was about it. When he died, I was just like, "thats it? wait, wait wait? no grand finale???"

then the end you just see him about to walk out of that thing they put him in, what an ending. :P

thats why i didn't like it, at all.

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

LimeTwister

« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2004, 07:46:07 pm »
It's so weird, 1) I don't go to church 2) I have not looked into a lot of information about Jesus's death.

BUT there were many historian type people who wrote about it (not just in the Bible) and for some reason ( i think some movie I watched in pre-school) I have always thought it was the Romans who did it.

I know that the Jews have constantly been blamed for it, but I also gather this information because some people didn't like Jews and used racism/religion to their own advantage.

But this is rather interesting...and is so hard to find out truth from 1,970 (or something like that) years ago.

*stops rambling*

LimeTwister

« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2004, 07:47:53 pm »
yer confusing me..sorry

;)

Manda

how illegal, and I would suggest if you wanted to keep doing it, then you shouldn't "advertise" it on the  internet.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2004, 10:17:29 pm »
Quote from: "blackvulture"

:? hmm

*is just a confused lil Christian* haha

as I told you, I'm not sure about where I stand in my Christianity. I have the basics of my faith in Jesus and God, and I know that Jesus is fully human and fully devine. But since I accepted Jesus in my heart and was baptized 3 years ago I have been tested several times. I have kept my faith in Jesus, but I'm still a bit lost right now.  :?

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2004, 06:25:37 am »
dude, just because someone wrote it means you have to believe it?
There are MANY scholars that believe that the Jews are not completely the blame for Jesus's death...
First of all, he was cruxified on sabbath, which would make that ILLEGAL to do, or even be tried by the Jews. Which makes it seem that the Romans had a large deal to do with it. They were terrorizing the Jews the whole time back then, trying the gain control. They even made Jesus go into hiding every time Jesus would preach in a big city, cause they feared that he might gain control of the people. So there is a big reason THEY wanted him dead too.

First, what BV said is true from a faith standpoint.  So I agree there.

Second, I don't see how you can be a Christian WITHOUT believing everything in the NT.

But from a pure worldly blame standpoint, yes... the Romans sentanced and crucified Jesus.  But the Jewish courts sentanced him FIRST, but their law did not include the Death penalty, therefore they sent him to the Romans and ASKED them to crucify Jesus.

Had the Jews not brought Jesus before the Romans than the Romans would neve have paid Jesus any remind.  REmember, he already rebuffed Simon and the Zealots and he already declard "give to caesar what is caesars" so the Romans had no reason to dislike Jesus.

---Andrew

Manda

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2004, 04:57:05 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
yer confusing me..sorry

;)

Manda

how illegal, and I would suggest if you wanted to keep doing it, then you shouldn't "advertise" it on the  internet.

Down here many people own bootlegs, i dont think its wrong. (say what you want....)

but I dont, I mean I rather PAY for it on bootleg and watch it at my house and if I dont like it then I'm glad, because I didn't pay the $10 to see it at the movies....ugh.

I'm not advertising either, just because I said I go to downtown LA to get em doesn't mean I'm telling you to or suggesting that, its just where I go. If you say, "I go to Old Navy to buy my jeans" thats not advertising.

I was merely stating where I get my bootlegs.

;)

chill

Manda

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar