Author Topic: The Passion Of The Christ  (Read 30556 times)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
The Passion Of The Christ
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2004, 12:43:30 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Granted, at this point someone has to throw in the Gnostic Gospels... but I don't even wanna touch that right now.

Well, I will. Most of what is said about them is total ß$.

People seem to think that because the Gospel of Thomas doesn't record Jesus saying he was divine, such things were added at a later date when the traditional gospels were written.

Such a belief is a silly one because the Gospel of Thomas is an anthology of quotes on life in general. It isn't a story of the life of Christ.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2004, 11:04:13 am »
I would never go and see it if my life depended on it

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2004, 11:45:58 am »
Quote from: "aleera84"
I would never go and see it if my life depended on it

thats too bad :(
your life wouldnt depend on it, but your next life might ;-)

aleera84

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • OC bitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2004, 12:17:58 pm »
oh kevin, shhh.
Its just not my type of movie and even if i was a christian im sure that my stomache wouldnt be able to handle it- sorry.

Xenophanes

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2004, 07:02:26 pm »
Well, I may end up seeing the Passion now, as it has been recommended to me by three people in one day. Does anyone know anything about the little "Satan baby" that Satan's holding in the crucifixion scene? I haven't seen the movie; I've just heard about it--apparently Mel said it had something to do with early Catholicism?I'm Catholic, I should know this...

TSE

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2004, 07:17:01 pm »
I think there's two schools of thought (because this move has schools of thought, yes indeed) that I've heard on the baby Satan is holding.  Mel made a comment which I will post also.

Number 1 (which is what I thought when I saw it)
The deformed baby is making a mockary of the classic Madonna and Child images.

The second is that the baby is the anti-christ who will battle Christ at the second coming . . .as in Revalations.  (errrr I didn't see this at all but - hey!)

Quote from: "Gibson"
It's evil distorting what's good. What is more tender and beautiful than a mother and a child? So the Devil takes that and distorts it just a little bit. Instead of a normal mother and child you have an androgynous figure holding a 40-year-old 'baby' with hair on his back. It is weird, it is shocking, it's almost too much—just like turning Jesus over to continue scourging him on his chest is shocking and almost too much, which is the exact moment when this appearance of the Devil and the baby takes place

Make up your own mind, however. :wink:

sayyouwould

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2004, 06:45:57 am »
I hated the passion. It was just so unreal. Sorry but how in hell does he get beaten brutally and then carry the cross...get tired...keep on walking with it...fall get beaten...anther guy carrys it...blah blah...goes gets on the cross...gets nailed on by his hands...still alive...get flipped over...still alive...gets flipped over again...still alive...then his ankles get nailed to the cross...still alive...then the nails get tightened still alive for like 3 hours....STILL alive...then it starts to rain or something and to make SURE HE IS DEAD because ha they aren't sure if he is still alive stab him. I just don't get it. It isn't logical...there are veins in your hands if you get something stabbed in them won't you die quickly? THEN he is alive in his kingdom with just wholes in his hand...that's fucked up.  It made me proud not to believe in that stuff because...its just so fake. That never happened...nope. THen it made me think of my own religon...true...there is no way the red sea got parted....no way the menorah stayed lit for 8 days...nope,no way. I'm giving up on religon and becoming an atheist.
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

Manda

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2004, 09:29:01 pm »
our school newspaper did three articles on this movie, I thought it was okay...

is there anyone who feels the way I do about this movie?

Manda

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2004, 12:24:33 am »
Quote from: "sayyouwould"
I hated the passion. It was just so unreal. Sorry but how in hell does he get beaten brutally and then carry the cross...get tired...keep on walking with it...fall get beaten...anther guy carrys it...blah blah...goes gets on the cross...gets nailed on by his hands...still alive...get flipped over...still alive...gets flipped over again...still alive...then his ankles get nailed to the cross...still alive...then the nails get tightened still alive for like 3 hours....STILL alive...then it starts to rain or something and to make SURE HE IS DEAD because ha they aren't sure if he is still alive stab him. I just don't get it. It isn't logical...there are veins in your hands if you get something stabbed in them won't you die quickly? THEN he is alive in his kingdom with just wholes in his hand...that's fucked up.  It made me proud not to believe in that stuff because...its just so fake. That never happened...nope. THen it made me think of my own religon...true...there is no way the red sea got parted....no way the menorah stayed lit for 8 days...nope,no way. I'm giving up on religon and becoming an atheist

I don't know what your religion is, but before you make such a decision it might be a good idea to look up some history on the Roman practices of scourging and crucifixion. People didn't die quickly, which was the point. The Romans got quite good at ensuring that.

It isn't logical... *cut* I'm giving up on religon and becoming an atheist.

If you're concerned about logic, then atheism isn't a good choice. If you're existance is ultimately the result of the random motion of matter (which, under atheism, it must be) then so are your thought processes. How do know that your perception of logic is even correct? It's accidental! Under atheism, how do you know that you're thinking the right thoughts? This was pointed out by the famous English writer C.S.Lewis who travelled in the opposite direction (atheism to religion). Atheism denies the very foundation of rational thought.

-Kev

LimeTwister

« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2004, 01:14:07 pm »
I've decided not to *pay* to watch it.  If I don't see it on tv or something then I can live with it.  I think it's cashing in on religion with all of the merchandise that goes with it.

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2004, 01:26:16 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
I've decided not to *pay* to watch it.  If I don't see it on tv or something then I can live with it.  I think it's cashing in on religion with all of the merchandise that goes with it.

no one said you had to buy the merch. Pay to see the movie like you would any other movie.

Mountaineer

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - guitragirl6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jumpergirl3eb
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jumpergirl3eb
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/beepr
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2004, 04:34:50 pm »
well its been out in PR for like  a week and all the churches, schools and everyone has bought tickets. IT SOLD OUT! till next week! everywhere u go. It has to do that Puerto Rico is very religous. like a 95% believe in God. well im gonna go see it next week cus my school wotn take us

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2004, 08:12:56 am »
I'm going again tomorrow!   :P

LimeTwister

« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2004, 08:23:09 am »
Quote from: "blackvulture"
Quote from: "LimeTwister"

no one said you had to buy the merch. Pay to see the movie like you would any other movie.

It's still cashing in on the religion. He made it because the majority of the world is Christian (or at least in the places the movie will be shown to). If he made a movie on Hinduism, then no one would go and watch it.  I can read it in a book, I can watch another movie with the same stuff...All he is doing is getting money because he made a film about the death of "the savior."

That is an opinion...on the other hand it may get people interested in the Christian religion.  It didn't get me interested, it just makes me think of all the cash he is getting because of someone else.

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2004, 08:40:17 am »
I'm seeing it today. :\ Mel was in Louisville this past week. And guess what? He went to a nursing home.  :evil: