Author Topic: Joss Stone  (Read 44968 times)

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2004, 07:28:01 pm »
She's actually 17 now.

HappyZen

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Fell off the ass end of the world.
    • MSN Messenger - youfoundzen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Joss Stone
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2004, 12:48:34 am »
yeah no sorry steaveau :-)
I still feel terribly unaccomplished sespite the fact that now she's SEVENteen ;-)

esta vida es un sueño y soñaré
~*~save the uni

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2004, 10:41:16 pm »
So is the new cd worth buying?

I love the first songs on her old album, but is the new one better?

-Manda

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

clamicas

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - claricecassou@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2004, 01:44:01 am »
Quote from: "Manda"
So is the new cd worth buying?

I love the first songs on her old album, but is the new one better?

-Manda

I loved the new album, I bought  it last week.

her voice is amazing adn the songs are about all sorts of relationships, one time she´s after the guy, the other she wants space, then she brakes up, ya know....my favorite song is "right to be wrong" :D

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2004, 01:39:06 pm »
Joss Stone at Seventeen

24.10.2004 By RUSSELL BAILLIE
Joss Stone is on a roll. She's somewhere in Los Angeles. Last night it was the Late Show with Jay Leno and tonight she's just come off the set of the Late, Late Show when we find her at the end of the phone, still buzzing.

Effectively she's released two albums in this part of the world in less than a year - the covers collection Soul Sessions and now the original set Mind Body & Soul. She's a busy gal and as she chats flat out, it's hard to reconcile her girlish Devon vowels with that terrific singing voice. But maybe that's because we're talking to the person that "Joss Stone" becomes off-stage ...

Sounds like they've got you working very hard.

Ohmigod. Yeah but it's cool.

But you'd be used to the hard work by now.

Kind of. You expect it now but you can't really get used to it. My head has got used to it but my body hasn't. I'm young and I'm growing at the same time so I get so tired. But I have to do it otherwise people wouldn't know I have an album out.

Down this end of the world Soul Sessions didn't come out until February or March and the new album is out now, not that long after.

Right it's mad. The Soul Sessions wasn't really meant to be an album. The idea when we went into it was to basically do an EP for which we'd have to do hardly any promo, just carry on making my album and chill out while they have that one. Just underground, with a little buzz. It was cool that people liked it.

It seems that 2 1/2 million people liked it.

Yeah it's kinda crazy.

Were you worried after Soul Sessions went, how the next one would be received. Did you think maybe you should wait a while?

No I didn't want everyone to think I was just a covers artist because, really, I'm not. I have things to say and I just so much wanted to do my own stuff.

The albums aren't a whole lot different soundwise.

I tried to make Mind Body & Soul a little bit more contemporary - not so, so, so old school. I liked that it had a Soul Sessions vibe because it wasn't, like, over-produced. It was done like it was in the 70s, that is how exactly we recorded it.

There was no auto-tune on anything, there wasn't on my second and there never will be on my third. I like it real. If you're not perfect - and I'm so far from perfect - I kind of like that.

You're credited with co-writes on most of the songs on the new one. Are you a natural songwriter?

I hope so. I'm just working it out right now. I love writing but I do get a little bit shy. When it's like the first time and let's say you're with Lamont Dozier [Motown songwriting legend] or Beau Dozier [his son], I was so shy man, I was like a little kid. I was just stupid. Because they are just amazing and I felt so stupid. But I tried and I put in my two quids worth and we definitely worked together on it, but I think I was a little bit too nervous.

What's the difference between Joss Stone and Jocelyn Stoker?

I don't know who this Joss Stone girl is. I don't know who the hell they are talking about ... ha ha.

Was it Joss Stone or Jocelyn Stoker who wrote the songs?

It was definitely Jocelyn Stoker. Joss Stone is the girl who turns up on stage and sings. The girl you are talking to right now is Joss Stoker. You know, I don't want to be Joss Stone too often. It's kind of bad. I find that some people turn into the artists they are trying to be.

If I went on stage and was like myself I wouldn't sing. That's who I turn into in between songs. I'll sing and I'm, like, I'm into my song I don't give a damn who's there, but when the music stops I'm like, "Oh shit what the [expletive] am I doing on this stage?"

If I had me now and me like five years ago - if they both met I swear to God me five years ago would slap me around the face and go "Joss get the hell off that stage. How embarrassing, what the hell are you doing?".

So you had to overcome stage fright?

Yeah. I would cry in between my shows "I don't want to do it Mum. Everyone is going to think I'm stupid", because that is what kids are like. When I was at school if I got up and sang they would knock me down so quick.

That's why I didn't, because I was so nervous and I didn't think I was a good singer. But my mum said "you just have to put on a different hat and be like 'this is what I do' and be confident with it, otherwise you are never going to be anything."

And what else can I do but sing? I don't want to go back to school. Don't make me go back to school. So I have to just get up there, stop being such a wuss and do it.

But I don't want to take that personality with me. That person has to be really over-confident and I find that over-confident people can be a real pain in the arse.

So maybe Joss Stone is more American than Jocelyn Stoker ...

Ha ha ha. I don't know. I've met some arrogant people in England too.

You're still just 17. Do you think it might have all happened a bit early for you.

No I don't think so. I think it would have been nice to chill out and be 17 and not do anything. But if I had carried on I would have got into a lot of trouble so I'm glad I've had something to occupy myself.

I'm glad that I can sing and somebody recognised it early because I know that I never would have gone to college. I hated school so much that I was just going to chill right out and that's not a good thing. I get bored real quick.

You've met a lot of famous people. Are there any that you are still impressed by afterwards?.

Yeah definitely Lamont Dozier. And there was James Brown - Ohmigod I was scared. I walked into the room and he's like a little guy. He's so cute, he's like a cute little man. I really liked him and he was so nice and I was really nervous to be in there with him. I do get a little starstruck but it only really lasts for a couple of seconds.

Does it worry you at all people might not take you seriously because of your age and that you're a white girl from England singing black American music?

No. There's no point in worrying about that. I can't change that I'm 17 and that I'm white and that I'm English, but the thing is I don't want to change it and I don't want to get old quick. I'm cool being 17.

I think people who care about image and don't really listen to the music - they really look at those things but I know the people who just want to listen to music don't really give a damn. So it really doesn't matter to me.

TwilightTeen

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - jazzzie@mac.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jazzzie@mac.com
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2004, 10:43:17 pm »
That's a great interview! Thanks for posting it!
I think Joss Stone has an absolutely amazingly strong soulful voice!!  :D
~!~Jazzzie~!~
I will never cease to fly if held down and I will always reach to high, coz I've seen ... Twilight

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2004, 06:19:04 pm »
Good to have you on the board.  :)
I'm the official Joss stalker here. lol

TwilightTeen

• View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2004, 10:59:19 pm »
Quote from: "Steveau"
Good to have you on the board.  :)
I'm the official Joss stalker here. lol

Thanks, lol.
Soul Sessions came out here about 3 months ago and now Mind, Body and Soul, it's weird. I want to get Mind, Body and Soul for my birthday.
~!~Jazzzie~!~
I will never cease to fly if held down and I will always reach to high, coz I've seen ... Twilight

I gotta wear shades

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2004, 06:19:38 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Quote from: "blackvulture"
I saw the video.... was thinking... damn this sounds familiar!

It's the most fuckedup cover of the White Stripes debut single.

For your first single, be original.

The whole album is covers......

LMAO!

clamicas

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - claricecassou@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2004, 10:38:08 am »
Oct 23rd 2004 Singer/songwriter Joss Stone photographed in Brooklyn, New York today. She was shooting a video for her song "Boarder Line". At one point a bare footed Joss came out of her trailer with cups of tea for the photographers: "I was worried you were bored so i brought you out a cup of tea. It's Chamomile i think."

TwilightTeen

• View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2004, 07:38:00 pm »
Cool as pics! That was s nice of her.. :)
~!~Jazzzie~!~

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2004, 08:54:09 pm »
There's now a message board for her: http://joss-stone.net/boards/

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2004, 03:07:56 pm »
she's going to be at the Jimmy Kimmel show Monday and I'm going to the taping.  :)

Pixie

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - loubyloo3@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2004, 12:47:08 pm »
Is "Boarder Line" on the album?  :?

___LOU <3[/b]

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • View Profile
Joss Stone
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2004, 03:42:21 pm »
Quote from: "Pixie"
Is "Boarder Line" on the album?  :?

No there's no such song. The reporter was just writing something he pulled out of his ass. The video she was filming was for Right To Be Wrong.