Author Topic: More sig limitations  (Read 22871 times)

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2004, 01:29:29 pm »
Quote from: "Katia's Lover"
Sure, there's no rule keeping someone from putting spaces in their siggy to make it bigger.  What there is is COMMON SENSE.  I accidentally made my sig too big one time on here without even having a picture at all.  The mods jumped all over it--I got like four PMs in a matter of two hours.

4 PM's about it?? Interesting since we have safeguards in place to prevent that very thing.

But yes, we are relying on user's common sense. Seemed to work well thus far.

Quote from: "Dancernl"
I already think it's annoying when a pic on a regular post is so wide that I have to scroll lengthwise to read all the other posts on the page.  I think sigs are fine the way they are.

<3 exactly.

Tia

• MSN Messenger - littlemisscheekylives@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.graphic-interlude.com
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2004, 01:30:58 pm »
Quote from: "blackvulture"
Quote from: "Dancernl"
I already think it's annoying when a pic on a regular post is so wide that I have to scroll lengthwise to read all the other posts on the page.  I think sigs are fine the way they are.

<3 exactly.

There goes one mod...

Kat? Nic? T? Anyoneeeeeeeeeeee?
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • View Profile
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2004, 01:34:49 pm »
Quote from: "Tia"
There goes one mod...

I dont think you'll get much disagreement from the mods, we took a vote back when the limits were first put in place. Majority ruled 400x120.

Tia

• MSN Messenger - littlemisscheekylives@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.graphic-interlude.com
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2004, 01:35:52 pm »
Quote from: "blackvulture"
Quote from: "Tia"
There goes one mod...

I dont think you'll get much disagreement from the mods, we took a vote back when the limits were first put in place. Majority ruled 400x120.

Oh shucks...

Couldn't we even stretch to 500x150?

And what about the aaaaav thing? :)
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

eclv

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Let aka NESSAholic
    • MSN Messenger - Let+B24@aol.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Let+B24
    • View Profile
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2004, 01:40:20 pm »
Yeah, what BV said.

But thanks for your concerns.

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2004, 04:07:01 pm »
i agree on the avatar thing.

my board[foolycooly.proboards22.com] allows avatars to go up to 100x100 and it looks perfect. not too big at all.

also.
i believe my signature is the exact limit.
now look at it...
does it look too big to you? do you think you would mind if it was maybe just a little bigger??
how about 450x120 or 450x125 ?
i think that would work out.

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2004, 04:23:45 pm »
You people need to learn to pick your battles.

Is it really that serious?
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

LimeTwister

More sig limitations
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2004, 04:47:26 pm »
go people sigs are not a master piece and there is no museum for them... we don't need them HUGE.

my standard sig is 250x100 and av is 60x60...

and I know there is a limit to how much text you put in your sig....so I am assuming they would make it so you can't put too much space (or delete all the spaces if they got annoyed...)

This is kind of a dumb issue....but whatever.

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
More sig limitations
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2004, 05:02:38 pm »
I like to have a huge desktop resolution everyones sigs look so tiny so i would enjoy making sigs just that ickle bit bigger I dont see and problem with 500x150: you don't have to scroll across to read posts and you wouldn't even notice scrolling that extra 30 pixels

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2004, 06:01:08 pm »
Quote from: "Scotty"
I like to have a huge desktop resolution everyones sigs look so tiny so i would enjoy making sigs just that ickle bit bigger I dont see and problem with 500x150: you don't have to scroll across to read posts and you wouldn't even notice scrolling that extra 30 pixels

That's your choice to have a large desktop.  Yes, Netscape, etc can tend to "smallercize" stuff.  However,  not everyone else does.  i'd bet a good majority.  Things don't need to be changed just because of that.  There are other options.  Why do you need bigger sigs?  We know who you are and what you like.  that's what text posts are for.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

kaysha

• Administrator
    • ICQ Messenger - 996740
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katiakaysha
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chickey.org
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2004, 06:17:19 pm »
I don't want to sound mean, but this post will so i apologize in advance...

a) Several boards don't even allow sigs or avatars even tho the board can support it...
b) Several boards *cough*VCMB*cough* don't even have the option of saving a sig or an avatar...
c) anyone willing or considering entering a ton of spaces in their sig by choice just to be difficult will be dealt with accordingly (in private) and probably have sig rights removed because that is just annoying and juvenile.
d) The current sig sizes were agreed upon by the entire mod team for several reasons:
   - They're not extremely obnoxious in size and don't deter from the conversation
   - They go without saying that with a smaller size sig or avatar, on average the file size will be smaller.  Obviously if you're not very knowledgable in graphics you can have a 500 meg sig file but again, we assume people have basic common sense (and we would deal with those guys independantly).
   - We really were trying to put into consideration those users on dial up (which are still quite a few people!) and how much it would suck to load a thread.

On a side now, when i'm travelling an on dialup, i visit no threads because it's too painfully slow and annoying to wait for one to load.

With the above reasons in mind about why we set the current limitations, and knowing that you're going to be contending against the mod team i will say that we are always open to suggestions.  I see a few things on the table..

1) increasing sig size
2) increasing avatar size

Can someone give valid reasons for increasing them; i.e. what we as a community will gain by having larger images in those locations and perhaps what other restrictions you might want put in place instead?

For example: I propose we increase sig sizes to 450x200 and limit the image sizes to 30k because it will make the board happier because all graphic peeps want more space to work with.

Depending on the decent reasons we receive, we may take it back to the table and discuss it further.

<3
-katia
I <3 Nicole

We want the unicorns to live! - Vanessa Carlton

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2004, 06:34:37 pm »
i have dial up[aol] and im just used to the slowness.
sure, its annoying all the time, and i want to kill people because aol sucks. but sure, i dont mind waiting 10 extra seconds.. like i said, im used to it.
 :?
BaH whatever.

nothing has to be changed. things are cool. :)

LimeTwister

More sig limitations
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2004, 07:02:14 pm »
well if you're going to change it, I think it should be like Kulp said, like 450x120 or 450x125.

That way it's not too much...and it adds a little bit.

but nothing like EXTREMLY big...even if I don't use dial up...it gets annoying.

Blake

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LinkinPark.com
More sig limitations
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2004, 11:28:34 pm »
I'll express my thoughts on this matter. This is america I am living in, so I think I have the right...Nothing against the mods, I think their all nice, including the Freakin' Admin...but I'm not about to suck up and be all kind about it..

[My ramling thoughts]

Sure with the picture size limit you're being kind to those with slow computer, LIKE ME, and so the smaller the quicker they load...Right? Yeah..So why don't we say no animated sigs/avatars, because on my computer those take even longer to load than a picture that is slightly larger than the limit and non animated.

Another thing is that you have to scroll past their pictures as you're reading the forum...well then MAKE A SIZE THAT THE PICTURE AND/OR THE TEXT TOGETHER have to remain within...

Also - The whole you break the rule 5 times or whatever thing..If you put a sig in which is above however many pixles and then you get PMed, normally within the hour, and you remove it, you should have that count against you, it should be if you come online and don't fix it that they count it against you...My computer has nothing that tells me how many pixles my pics are, and I have no clue how big a pixle is...hmmm

Sig & Av By LJ User: Shinodaguitar

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Trading Yesterday
    • View Profile
    • Email
More sig limitations
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2004, 11:35:34 pm »
Quote from: "Suicidal Tendencies"
Also - The whole you break the rule 5 times or whatever thing..If you put a sig in which is above however many pixles and then you get PMed, normally within the hour, and you remove it, you should have that count against you, it should be if you come online and don't fix it that they count it against you...

so we just warn you, and warn you, and warn you, and warn you, and warn you forever? No.
We'll warn you 3 times, play nice, give you a week to change it.
By the 4th time thats telling us you dont grasp the concept of the limits, so the warnings go away and we skip right to the removal.

Quote from: "DM/ST"
My computer has nothing that tells me how many pixles my pics are, and I have no clue how big a pixle is...hmmm

Right Click the pic, hit Properties.