Author Topic: This Is Very Important To Me  (Read 55105 times)

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
This Is Very Important To Me
« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2004, 12:10:05 pm »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Oh and Kevin, Andrew clearly is at a loss without Blazin' Squad! Pfft, thought that was obvious!

Hehe. Klear-lee. In fact, it's was so strongly self evident that I didn't even need to say it.

-Kev

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2004, 12:12:59 pm »
Quote from: "kev222"
Oh and Kevin, Andrew clearly is at a loss without Blazin' Squad! Pfft, thought that was obvious!

Hehe. Klear-lee. In fact, it's was so strongly self evident that I didn't even need to say it.

-Kev

Kra-zee tru!
"I'm all about the wordplay."

LimeTwister

« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2004, 12:14:05 pm »
Quote from: "snapple936"
Quote from: "LimeTwister"

2) WACK UP! Bush is not the greatest thing to walk the Earth.

i love the fact that you said WACK aaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha oh jb i love you so.

don't you like my new expression??

*pretends to not be the worse speller in the world...though I so am*

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2004, 12:21:14 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Truth.  I agree with your statements.

If your (or a hypothetical persons) stance is that of Will's...
*cut*
...you are just against redefineing a word.

Also truth. As of this point, we are in agreement.

Purely as an exercise of thought (and only that), but at the considerable risk of stretching this dicussion beyond the bounds of tedium. A stance taken by almost everybody (including myself) is that murderers should be denied rights that everybody else recieves (most noteably freedom), because they feel that murder is somehow wrong. That makes almost everybody a bigot (in the same sense of bigotry as stance number 2 above) towards murderers. Clearly this is bigotry in an acceptable form. A small few take the opposite stance that such bigotry of murder is not justified for various reasons (they deserved it, they're dead so they don't actually suffer anything as a result their own murder, it's a natural part of evolution, etc.)

Slightly fewer people take a similar bigoted stance on personal drug use. Some do not take this stance and argue that drug users should not be denied any rights usually either because their actions have no harmful effect on anybody other than themselves, or that the drugs actually have no significant harmful effects.

Fewer (probably, but this is a guess) people still, take the bigoted stance on homosexuality that you mentioned above. Many do not take this stance and claim that homosexuals should not be denied rights because again, their actions have no significant harmful effects.

Even fewer (another guess) people take the bigoted stance that black people should be denied equal rights with white people. Many do not take this stance for many, many reasons.

Surely any sane person would agree that they could draw a line between two of those examples and seperate them into acceptable and unacceptable forms of bigotry. You (Andrew) would clearly draw the line between drug use and homosexuality (or perhaps murder and drug use). Adolf hitler would probably have grouped them all as acceptable and the hypothetical person we were discussing would draw it between homosexuality and being black. My question is who should decide where to draw that line and how do/should they decide it?

-Kev

P.S. Sorry this is so long.

Ah ha!

Excellent points.

Everyone is bigoted towards something.  Just like EVERYONE is prejudiced.  People often get lost in the connotation of these words and forget the denotation.

This is a question at the ROOT of philosophy and morality.  How do you define "right" and "wrong".  This could run into another 25 page thread if we let it.

There are actually a TON of great works on this ranging from Plato, to Augustine to Kant.

The american public is STILL reaching for an answer to this question.  And right now we have laws that are clearly based in 3 or 4 DIFFERENT views of morality.  However, seemingly, we are moving towards a stance of "if it doesn't hurt me, you can do it."

More of a UTILITY theory of morality.  Which is very much so a part of the libertarian stance of politics.  Which is, in MANY ways, the exact stance I agree with.  You should be allowed to do anything you want to yourself or with/to another consenting adult AS LONG as it does not hurt anyone outside of the consenting group.

The argument, in my mind, is DOES GAY MARRIAGE hurt anyone else.  (BTW, I think you have to draw the line for "anyone else" somewhere too.  You have to draw it at "normal rational human beings".  In other words, if a weirdo gets offended by the color green, I can't be expected to stop wearing it).

Clearly, murder hurts other people.  But does doing drugs?  That's up for debate.  Does being gay?  I see no evidence for this, but it is possible.  If it were shown that a majority of the US population is very distinctly offended and hurt by homosexual couples then clearly it should be illegal.  But I don't think that is the case because there is not "utility theory" reason for it to hurt people.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2004, 12:21:53 pm »

-Kev

I swear... if you are really listening to that song right now... we are gonna have a fight :)
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 01, 2004, 12:32:42 pm »

-Kev

I swear... if you are really listening to that song right now... we are gonna have a fight :)

Why, because no one two people can listen to such an intense, love filled song at the same time? This would clearly be damaging- the spreading of such FANTASTIC music might be dangerous.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 01, 2004, 12:36:35 pm »

-Kev

Why, because no one two people can listen to such an intense, love filled song at the same time? This would clearly be damaging- the spreading of such FANTASTIC music might be dangerous.

It's my song dammit!

Fine... you can both listen to my group.  But I got dibs on the cute one!!111!1!!!11

---Andrew

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2004, 12:37:02 pm »

*Cracks knuckles*. Okay, let's get this over with. I'm not letting go of Dreamin without a fight.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 01, 2004, 12:39:23 pm »

*Cracks knuckles*. Okay, let's get this over with. I'm not letting go of Dreamin without a fight.

Bitch, I know you aint lookin at my band.

---Andrew

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2004, 12:39:53 pm »

But I got dibs on the cute one!!111!1!!!11

And ermmm, which one would that be?  :?

P.S you can also use this as a wallpaper andrew and kev- bet you're pleased with me!

keith

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2004, 12:41:40 pm »
I did not reply for the simple fact that i do not want to argue with Keith anymore- he makes stupid points and i get exceedingly angry.
Pfft, I wouldn't argue with you Rosie, the fact is, I can have more intelligent spats with a light switch.  :roll:  And I sure as hell wouldn't get all upset over something as lame as the topic of gay rights/marriage. I make stupid points? Rosie, get over yourself, you feel that you can go off on someone who doesn't agree with you. I never jumped on you, you are the one who got "disgusted" with me because I didn't care about that whole gay marriage thing and I still don't care. You seriously need to step back and take a chill pill.

It's good that you don't live in this country, and like I said in a prior post, if you hate this country so much, you can hop on a plane and get the hell out.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2004, 12:43:26 pm »

But I got dibs on the cute one!!111!1!!!11

And ermmm, which one would that be?  :?

P.S you can also use this as a wallpaper andrew and kev- bet you're pleased with me!

Umm.... that one.  :lol:

Edit: not sure which one is "that" one yet... but not the one with the eyebrow ring.  He looks like he's down.... like the syndrome.

Edit Edit: That might not be an eyebrow ring.... he might just have f'd up eyebrows... whatever.  The stupid one in the middle right.  Not him.

Edit @ Keith - STFU, n00b.  Rozie PWnZ j00000!!11

---Andrew

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2004, 12:45:41 pm »

LOOK! Its that t-shirt you have Scum! Fancy that!

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2004, 12:48:43 pm »

Fittays ;-)

That's it! I can't keep up this ridiculous charade any more. Just look how seriously they take themselves! They MUST know that they are the laughing stock of a nation (+ Andrew).

-Kev

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2004, 12:50:40 pm »

OMG i actually, honestly CANT stop laughing. I am just sitting here in fits of giggles at Kenzie. (Maybe those are girly 'in love' giggles?)