Author Topic: California to let 14-year-olds vote?  (Read 6143 times)

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
California to let 14-year-olds vote?
« on: March 09, 2004, 03:09:57 pm »
SACRAMENTO -- Millions of California's teenagers would become the nation's first to vote under a proposed constitutional amendment introduced Monday by a 71-year-old state senator.
Sen. John Vasconcellos, D-Santa Clara, proposed the idea alongside three other lawmakers, saying the Internet, cellular phones, multichannel television and a diverse society make today's teens better informed than generations of their predecessors.

Coming on the heels of an expected record low turnout among adults in the March 2 election, Vasconcellos would give 16-year-olds a half-vote and 14-year-olds a quarter-vote in state elections beginning in 2006.

The idea, formally called "Training Wheels for Citizenship," first requires two-thirds approval by the Legislature to appear on this November's ballot.

The California suggestion comes 33 years after the United States lowered its voting age from 21 to 18, and amid a fledgling youth movement in the United States and other nations to lower the voting age.

Supporters say Israel allows 17-year-olds to vote in local elections, while Austria and Germany allow 16-year-olds to vote in some local elections. A bill in California letting 17-year-olds vote in primary elections when they will be 18 years old for the general election has languished.

"People who are given opportunity when it counts often live up to it," said Vasconcellos, flanked by nearly 40 teenagers from across the state.

"When we gave the vote to those who didn't own property, then to women, then to persons of all colors, we added to the richness of our demo- cratic dialogue and our own nation's integrity and its model for the world," he said, calling it time to further extend the vote.

A Republican colleague called it "the nuttiest idea I've ever heard."

Said Assemblyman Ray Haynes, R-Murrieta, "There's a reason why 14-year-olds and 16-year-olds don't vote. They are not adults. They are not mature enough. They are easily deceived by political charlatans."

Student supporters said the idea could give them a say in issues such as education funding and bring new voices to a California electorate largely dominated by older Caucasians.

"If we could vote, politicians would see us as votes, not just kids, and they would take our issues seriously," said Robert Reynolds, a student at Berkeley High School.

"We feel that many problems that are created in our commu-nity by the youth, such as vandalism, violence, gangs, to name a few, are direct results of the youth striving to be heard and striving to have a voice, but being unable to share that in a positive way," added Mark Murphy of Santa Rosa, a Montgomery High School student.

Vasconcellos said the reason for not giving teenagers a full vote was strategic.

"If I said 16 full and 14 full, I think it wouldn't have much legs." But he added, "In my heart I think 16-year-olds should be given a full vote."

Co-sponsors of the proposal include Sen. Edward Vincent, D-Inglewood, and Assembly-women Carol Liu, D-South Pasadena, and Sarah Reyes, D-Fresno.

Read the proposed constitutional amendment, SCA19, at:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov.

National Youth Rights Association:

http://www.youthrights.org.
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Chloe

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - evanessa831
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Nessaholic831
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 03:58:19 pm »
*wishes she lived in Cali* lol

Things are going crazy and I'm not sure who to blame...
November 9th 2004...H a r m o n i u m!!!
Spare me just three last words, I love you is all she heard...

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 04:00:35 pm »
Quote from: "AFallingStar"
*wishes she lived in Cali* lol

Be careful what you wish for...

And that is just crazy. When I was 14 I had no freakin clue what was going on in the Economic world, I'm just now learning about everything, we should NOT let freakin 14 year olds who are probably Hilary Duff fans vote! That is crazy talk.

Chloe

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 04:01:34 pm »
welll.....i'd still like a chance to vote anyway.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 04:04:05 pm »
Do you know what is going on Economically? Do your friends know about all the issues? etc. etc.?

Chloe

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 04:09:03 pm »
OH yeah... i'm a news freak and stuff and most of my friends are too. my school's really good at making sure we all know what's going on in the world. BUT, you have a point... that's just MY school. there are alot of people my age who don't have a clue.

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 04:16:00 pm »
i'd say about
10% of all 14 year olds are actually mature enough to vote.
25% 15 year olds
50% 16 year olds
75% 17 year olds
whatever, i dont know what im saying.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 04:16:12 pm »
That's great that you guys know, but yeah most 14 year olds (and I don't mean to stereotype, my Economics teacher is always teaching us not to do that) don't have a clue what's going on, and I think it'd just be safer if we leave it as it is. Because 18 year olds are just becoming adults, so they are gonna be living in the real world and the votes will have more of an effect on them and all the other adults than younger teens. Just in my opinion...

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 04:17:31 pm »
I live in California and Don't want to vote, I don't plan on ever voting.

But hey, thats just me.

Manda

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

Chloe

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 04:33:02 pm »
Quote from: "KULPDOGG"
i'd say about
10% of all 14 year olds are actually mature enough to vote.
25% 15 year olds
50% 16 year olds
75% 17 year olds
whatever, i dont know what im saying.

i think that's pretty accurate... just because close to those percentages of most -not all- kids those ages actually KNOW what's going on. well as far as i've seen outside my group of friends anyway. alot of people our age just flat out don't care.

(i don't think i know what i'm saying either... this is just what i've seen)

LimeTwister

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 04:48:25 pm »
Quote from: "Laura"
Do you know what is going on Economically? Do your friends know about all the issues? etc. etc.?

Do you know how easy it is to find all that out?  Do you know it doesn't matter how old you are, you still have to teach (and reteach) yourself that?

I would love to vote...and not just for local elections..

Sadly, the majority of my age group doesn't care and/or are not responsible.  Though, the ones that aren't interested would more than likely not vote anyway.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 05:35:12 pm »
Laura does have a point about the 18 year olds coming into the world thing. 18 years old is when you start having to be responsible and the things going on in the world affect you more! When I was 14... I didnt really care and would probably be a careless voter. I voted for the first time a week ago... and I realized it is very important, because what I say does have an impact on the outcome.
I think it should stay at 18. While there are a lot of responsible and caring 14 year olds... most of them aren't.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

LimeTwister

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 05:40:34 pm »
i do agree 14 is a little young...

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 05:50:22 pm »
Oh great, guess Jason Mraz will be President soon. LOL

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 07:33:56 pm »
I'll be over 18 long before this goes into effect, dammit!
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne