Author Topic: California to let 14-year-olds vote?  (Read 6144 times)

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
Re: California to let 14-year-olds vote?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2004, 08:57:53 pm »
Quote from: "tricia"
Sen. John Vasconcellos, D-Santa Clara, proposed the idea alongside three other lawmakers, saying the Internet, cellular phones, multichannel television and a diverse society make today's teens better informed than generations of their predecessors.

Yeah right. LOL.

That said, it is an interesting idea if nothing else.
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
California to let 14-year-olds vote?
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2004, 09:39:55 am »
1/4 votes?!  1/2 votes?!  Hell, we had trouble determining whole votes last election, let's PLEASE not make it even tougher by adding fractions into the mix!!!
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2004, 09:53:01 am »
I think that because a lot of people are older here- we forget what it was like to be 14, and we did have a general knowledge of the world around us- but i still don't think enough to vote. As i was saying to andrew yesterday, they will vote for the party that:

a) their mummy and daddy vote for.
b) The opposite just to be little pricks.
c) Because that party offers free beer.

What a foolish foolish idea.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Blake

• **BANNED**
    • View Profile
    • http://www.LinkinPark.com
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2004, 02:11:49 pm »
So we can add that to lowering drinking, smoking age, hell lets let anyone drive!

Sig & Av By LJ User: Shinodaguitar

sayyouwould

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - xsayyouwouldx@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sayyouwould
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2004, 02:52:26 pm »
Quote from: "Laura"
Quote from: "AFallingStar"
*wishes she lived in Cali* lol

Be careful what you wish for...

And that is just crazy. When I was 14 I had no freakin clue what was going on in the Economic world, I'm just now learning about everything, we should NOT let freakin 14 year olds who are probably Hilary Duff fans vote! That is crazy talk.

A lot of 14 year olds have a clue as to what is going on. Just because you had no clue doesn't mean there isn't hope for the rest of us. And there are fucking 18 plus year olds who still have no clue.

I,myself,think 14 year+ should be able to vote because most of the 14 year olds I know are mature and know what's going on the world better than some older people...but I mostly just hang around the kids in honors classes because those are the classes I've been in since I was in the 6th grade...so I can't speak for the kids in college and grade level. It's hard to say.
I rely on my illusions to keep me warm at night

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2004, 03:56:03 pm »
If you can't get enough support to allow illegal immigrants the right to vote, use children.  Next, allow dogs and cats the right to vote since they are classified as family campanions.

tylor

skyestar

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lintitinwe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2004, 11:39:42 pm »
wow thats cool. i think a lot of older people no offense or anything dont have a clue about what's going on too. just an opinion. i think its a good idea though.. to get it started earlier. i mean when ur 18 its not like ur the smartest people in the world. and its not like everyone of age is equally knowledgable anyways.. it would like be cool..

but then again i'm 14. enough said lol.

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2004, 07:11:07 am »
Quote from: "skyestar"
wow thats cool. i think a lot of older people no offense or anything dont have a clue about what's going on too. just an opinion. i think its a good idea though.. to get it started earlier. i mean when ur 18 its not like ur the smartest people in the world. and its not like everyone of age is equally knowledgable anyways.. it would like be cool..

but then again i'm 14. enough said lol.

You're more likely to have an idea of whats going on if you have spent longer being alive, no?Just because some older people have no clue what is going on is not more of a justification to let 14 year olds vote- they may be equally uninformed.  Thats a fact i'm afraid and that why 14 year olds shouldn't be allowed to vote. Its just plain stupid.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

skyestar

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lintitinwe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2004, 08:04:32 am »
ya it probably wont happen because of people being afraid which is perfectly logical but i still think its a good idea. i mean maybe in the future it would be better because i do agree that younger people are more informed than they were before and allowing them to vote may encourage them to learn more but then again it could just be a disaster.