Author Topic: National day of Silence tomorrow?  (Read 3838 times)

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
National day of Silence tomorrow?
« on: April 20, 2004, 02:53:45 pm »
When my friends & I were in the Choir room at lunch after rehearsal playing a card game, a couple of them mentioned something about being silent tomorrow for the war in Iraq protest or something... I was really confused, they didn't say much about it, so does anybody know what that's all about? Maybe it's for the gay marriage thing, my friend was really confusing me, lol

Though I would so love a day where I didn't have to talk all day, haha

1vcfan

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - amb0431
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - cocoa_covered_nut
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 04:39:09 pm »
Yeah, at my school they call it "Day of Silence" and its sponsered by one of the clubs. You have to be slient the whole day, including not writing notes... :?

We have the choice of what to stay silent for...rape, war, capital punishment....and so on.

i want to do it but i just found out about it today

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 04:50:26 pm »
no one has mentioned anything about it at my school... so there's no way i could do it! being quiet includes not talking to teachers, haha, i'd get in trouble! we do have a "mime day" where we can dress as mimes and stay quiet, and get sponsers to raise money for this school.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

1vcfan

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 04:52:31 pm »
Quote from: "Holly"
being quiet includes not talking to teachers, haha, i'd get in trouble!

We have permission from the teachers to be silent. Its actually pretty cool.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 05:15:05 pm »
Oh so Alex your school is doing it tomorrow too? I've only heard my two friends talking about it, nobody else had mentioned it. I so wanna do this, lol

1vcfan

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 05:19:02 pm »
I wanted to also, but we needed to have permission slips signed....and its too late for mine to be turned in...bummer.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 05:27:48 pm »
Oh yeah, dang this is what you get when your 2nd period teacher decides not to read/watch the announcements. Dangit! I want to do it. I wen't to my schools website & it said: "Today is the National Day of Silence, if you would still like to participate in this protest against hate crimes..." etc. I wanna do it. I wonder if it is too late. Probably is, ohh well. Tho maybe in the morning before school starts I'll go to the room it said to go to & see if I can still do it. Although it will be really hard to do it while I am in Choir & Drama, lol ahh hopefully I still can!

1vcfan

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 05:29:17 pm »
haha

there is ALWAYS next year...

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 05:32:24 pm »
Not for me... I will be graduating this year lol. But maybe i'll go to that room in the morning after 0 period & ask about it. *crosses fingers*

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 05:34:19 pm »
nothing like that is going on at my school.

*shrugs*

maybe I'm wrong as usual.

Manda

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 05:41:12 pm »
Oh & I guess during this week for my school it's the "turn off your t.v." week or something where you can't watch t.v. for the time it say's, haha like that will ever happen. No way I can do that now, lol

LimeTwister

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 05:53:00 pm »
Didn't know about it...my school isn't protest friendly....

of course I have to go to the DMV tomorrow morning...so um it would be hard to do all that.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 02:36:59 pm »
So I did it! All up until I got out of school! I can't even believe I wen't all day without saying anything. It was SO freaking hard to do, you guys have no idea. People at my school are cruel, haha everyone was trying to get me to talk all day I wanted to tell them to shutup lol it was funny tho. I almost cracked & talked a few times but I didn't! yay I never realized how hard it is not to talk, I have like 10 pages of notes from today, lol

And from break until last period whoever did it got to wear signs explaining why we were quiet around our necks.

And I so wish I could have talked in Science- at the end of class my teacher stopped my friend & talked to her with me & our other friend because my friend thinks the teacher hates her & my Science teacher was trying to explain that she didn't. And like that she was so shocked that she thought that & our teacher seriously looked like she was gonna cry, omg. I wanted to say something, I tried but I dunno if my teacher got it. It got really emotional, I wish I could have said something :( I think our teacher is awesome. She even said that us three were the best students & were her favorites I was like "aww" lol, but yeah. That was interesting. I definitely didn't see that coming today.

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 02:43:46 pm »
Oh & in Choir I just mouthed the words, & in Drama after our warm-up our teacher saw that two of us had the signs & discussed it for a minute like what it was about & so instead of practicing our monologues in game style we got to memorize them the whole period, lol how special.  :D

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 02:51:55 pm »
April 21, 2004-DAY OF SILENCE
Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the Day of Silence, a national youth movement protesting the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their allies. My deliberate silence echoes that silence, which is caused by harassment, prejudice, and discrimination. I believe that ending the silence is the first step toward fighting these injustices. Think about the voices you are not hearing today.

This is what was done on my campus today, I couldn't participate but quite a few people did.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach