Author Topic: Trick questions!  (Read 21262 times)

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
Trick questions!
« on: May 01, 2004, 03:52:47 pm »
Yes I need help on my Algebra homework, lol I sware I'm getting a friggin headake trying to figure these out. So all you smart people, help me out please! Some of these questions don't even have to do with Algebra so I'm all WTF!?  8O

1st question: How can two fathers & two sons divide three automobiles among themselves with each receiving one?

2nd question: I have two U.S. coins in my hand which total fifty-five cents. One is not a nickel. What are the coins?

3rd question: Two men are playing chess. They played five games and each man won the same number of games with no ties. how is this possible?

4th question: Why can't a man living in St. Louis be buried in Illinois? (WTF!?)

5th question: If dirt wighs 100 ib. per cubic foot, what is the weight of dirt in a hole three feet sqare by two feet deep?

6th question: If you had only one match and entered a dark room which there was a kerosene lamp, an oil burner, and a wood burning stove, which would you light first?

last question: Is there a fourth of July in England? (WTF does that have to do with Algebra!?)

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
Re: Trick questions!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 04:03:09 pm »
1st question: How can two fathers & two sons divide three automobiles among themselves with each receiving one?

It's the grandfather, who is the father of the father of the son. In total, there are three people, but the grandon's name is John. The Middle one's name is Ed. And the Grandfather is Tom.

Tom is Ed's FATHER.
Ed is John's FATHER. Ed is Tom's SON.
John is Ed's SON.

Two sons, two fathers.

2nd question: I have two U.S. coins in my hand which total fifty-five cents. One is not a nickel. What are the coins?

A quarter and the long, lost 30 cents coin :\

3rd question: Two men are playing chess. They played five games and each man won the same number of games with no ties. how is this possible?

They're on a team O_o

4th question: Why can't a man living in St. Louis be buried in Illinois? (WTF!?)

Why would they bury a living man? ;)

6th question: If you had only one match and entered a dark room which there was a kerosene lamp, an oil burner, and a wood burning stove, which would you light first?

The lamp, I suppose. Then light everything else.

last question: Is there a fourth of July in England?

Just say YES. There is a July 4.

Laura

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 04:08:14 pm »
Why would they bury a living man?

OMG! Duh!!! I'm so dumb. But I still don't get how that is an Algebra question, but okay, lol

Thanks for all the help!  :)

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 04:09:06 pm »
Quote from: "Laura"

three generations

one is a nickel, the other is a 50c piece. (the 50c piece is not a nickel)

they each won 2 games and are currently playing the 5th.

see above post

5th question: If dirt wighs 100 ib. per cubic foot, what is the weight of dirt in a hole three feet sqare by two feet deep?

ZERO, there's no dirt in a hole.

I'd flip the light switch

last question: Is there a fourth of July in England? (WTF does that have to do with Algebra!?)

yes but its not a holiday

Laura

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 04:18:00 pm »
Thanks Kev!

snapple936

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snapple936
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 04:22:54 pm »

laura laura laura! i'm positive about this one.  light the MATCH first! :-)

kelley
...i'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun, you know that only the good

Laura

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 04:24:20 pm »
Oh I have some more questions, lol these are basically trick questions, but on the top of the paper it says "solving problems with polynomials" we haven't learned half of this stuff in forever, totally forgot how to do this. These are my last ones for sure.  8)

1st question: Time bought some 25 cents and some 19 cents stamps. He paid $7.60 for 28 stamps. How many of each type of stamp did he buy?

2nd question: Tickets for the school concert were $3 and $2. If 245 tickets were sold for a total of $630, how much of each kind were sold?

3rd question: David has 11 coins, some quarters and some dimes. If the coins have a value of $1.55, how many of each kind are there?

4th question: Find the perimeter of a rectangle if its length is (4c+7) units and its width is (c-3) units.

last question: Which has the greater area, a square with sides each (x+2) units long or a rectangle with length (x+4) units and width x units?

That's all I need help with. Usually we do all our work in class but we had a sub & the sub didn't look like he knew what he was doing so I need major help with this, lol

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 04:25:16 pm »
Quote from: "snapple936"

laura laura laura! i'm positive about this one.  light the MATCH first! :-)

kelley

Okay! I'll go with that answer! Thanks kelley!  :D

LimeTwister

Trick questions!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 05:00:55 pm »

4th question: Find the perimeter of a rectangle if its length is (4c+7) units and its width is (c-3) units.

last question: Which has the greater area, a square with sides each (x+2) units long or a rectangle with length (x+4) units and width x units?
l

well I know how to do the first 3, but not at the moment lol...so...

Can't do the 4th one, i forgot how...

okay...and

(x+2)(x+2)= x*+4x+4 (* being a square)

(x+4)(x)= x*+4x.

so I am assuming that the (x+2) is greater.

LimeTwister

Trick questions!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 05:18:03 pm »

2nd question: Tickets for the school concert were $3 and $2. If 245 tickets were sold for a total of $630, how much of each kind were sold?

3x+2y=630
x+y=245

x=140 y=105.

p.s. you do that for 1-3...and to help you out.....

*EDIT*

y=245-x so you'd have (3x)+[2(245-x)]=630
3x+490-2x=630
x=140

3(140)+2y=630
420+2y=630
2y=210
y=105

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 05:19:08 pm »
removed since it's plain BS 8)

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

LimeTwister

Trick questions!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2004, 05:20:29 pm »
Quote from: "Scotty"

Perimeter of a rectangle = length x width
=(4c+7)(c-3)
First                     4c squared
Outside                -12c
Inside                  +7c
Last                     -21

Tidy Up:

4c2-12c+7c-21

4c2-5c-21

that's good and all but she didn't ask for area....

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 05:24:59 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Quote from: "Scotty"

Perimeter of a rectangle = length x width
=(4c+7)(c-3)
First                     4c squared
Outside                -12c
Inside                  +7c
Last                     -21

Tidy Up:

4c2-12c+7c-21

4c2-5c-21

that's good and all but she didn't ask for area....

ah Sh*t

PERIMETER = 2*width + 2*length
2(c-3)+2(4c+7)
2c-6+8c+14

10c+8

*smacks head*

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Laura

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2004, 05:48:34 pm »
omg thank you so much Limey! You really helped me out with the 2nd question, I actually understand it now! thank you!

And thanks for the last question also! I'm shocked I understand this now, somewhat more than I did lol I never thought i'd get this stuff.

And I lied people... I have one more main problem that I need help with and another load of damned trick questions, darnit lol 6 questions plus the main one, different worksheet, same concept tho. So I will post in a sec.

And thanks for everyones help! You have no idea how much I appreciate this!  :)

Laura

• View Profile
Trick questions!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2004, 06:01:55 pm »
As I said in my last post... another question. The main one on the front page. I tried this one, I kept going over it like a zillion times but I just could not get it. I think I got who the officer is, I think it's Smith, but lemme post the question.

Clark, Jones, Morgan, and Smith are four people whose occupations are salesperson, pharmacist, grocer, and police officer, though not necessairly in that order. Use the following statements to determine each person's occupation.

1. Clark and Jones are neighbors and take turns driving each other to work.

2. The grocer makes more money than Morgan.

3. Clark beats Smith regularly at bowling.

4. The salesperson always walks to work.

5. The police officer does not live near Clark.

6. The only time Morgan and the police officer ever met was when Morgan was stopped for speeding.

7. The grocer doesn't bowl.

Clark

Jones

Morgan

Smith

Which is the salesperson, pharmacist, grocer, and police officer?