Author Topic: Vanessa's official online team  (Read 27382 times)

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
Vanessa's official online team
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2004, 12:21:44 pm »
Andrew, the US Copyright Office disagrees with you. Maybe those people you talked with didn't pass the bar.

Ref: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html#what_protect

We're not claiming they copied stuff from this site. THAT would be a copyright infringement.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2004, 12:30:21 pm »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"
Andrew, the US Copyright Office disagrees with you. Maybe those people you talked with didn't pass the bar.

Ref: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html#what_protect

We're not claiming they copied stuff from this site. THAT would be a copyright infringement.

Don't quote me the page, son.  You obviously have no idea about the differences between theory and practice.  The website makes things look clearcut, but the reality is not quite so clear cut.

A copyright protects a WORK.  Period.  In whatever media the work appears in.  This can be both tangible and intangible works.

If my idea is "I am going to invent something to let people fly!" then I do not have a copyright on it.

If my idea is "I am going to use molecular technology and amplificiation of dark matter to create a propulsion system that will allow humans to fly" then likely this will stand up as a copyright LONG before I put it on paper.

THe difference is how specific your idea is and how far along it is to being a finished work.

If we said "Lets start a website full of Vanessa fans called Nessaholics.com!" and someone else took that and used on a VC mailing list before we created the site, we would have no copyright.

If we create a website and call it nessaholics.com and it is specifically used to promote vanessa carlton in electronic media and someone else shows up and creates a VC mailing list and calls it nessaholics, then we are protected under copyright.

Do some research on electronic media law (which is now 2-3 classes in most law programs) and then come talk to me again.

Edit: What you are proposing is a very simplistic view of what a copyright protects.  Which would be just word for word reproduction.  Think about how copyright laws protect artists from covering another artists work without permission........
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2004, 12:36:42 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Don't quote me the page, son.  You obviously have no idea about the differences between theory and practice.  The website makes things look clearcut, but the reality is not quite so clear cut.

17 USC and case law are clean cut on what copyright covers.

If my idea is "I am going to use molecular technology and amplificiation of dark matter to create a propulsion system that will allow humans to fly" then likely this will stand up as a copyright LONG before I put it on paper.

Any work describing this invention would be covered by copyright. The actual idea itself would be covered by patent(s).

Do some research on electronic media law (which is now 2-3 classes in most law programs) and then come talk to me again.

I have been interested in this for three plus years. I've studied quite a bit and have read many law texts on the subject. Come back to me when you can distinguish between patents and copyright. Hell, come back when you can accurately describe to me what copyright is. You're talking out of your ass.

Edit: In response to your edit, copyright controls the right to make derivative works. I am not denying that. If they clearly adapted text or images from this site, they could sued for infringement. Infringement of copyright is simply doing something that copyright reserves to the holder without their consent. Verbatim copying is only one such thing reserved to the owner. Adaptation is yet another. However, YOU CANNOT COPYRIGHT IDEAS, ONLY EXPRESSIONS OF SAID IDEAS.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2004, 01:03:18 pm »
Quote from: "m125 Boy"

17 USC and case law are clean cut on what copyright covers.

Any work describing this invention would be covered by copyright. The actual idea itself would be covered by patent(s).

I have been interested in this for three plus years. I've studied quite a bit and have read many law texts on the subject. Come back to me when you can distinguish between patents and copyright. Hell, come back when you can accurately describe to me what copyright is. You're talking out of your ass.

Edit: In response to your edit, copyright controls the right to make derivative works. I am not denying that. If they clearly adapted text or images from this site, they could sued for infringement. Infringement of copyright is simply doing something that copyright reserves to the holder without their consent. Verbatim copying is only one such thing reserved to the owner. Adaptation is yet another. However, YOU CANNOT COPYRIGHT IDEAS, ONLY EXPRESSIONS OF SAID IDEAS.

WTF IS THIS ENTIRE SITE BUT AN EXPRESSION OF AN IDEA?!?

WHAT IS AN ONLINE VC COMMUNITY BUT AN EXPRESSION OF AN IDEA?!?

WHAT IS A VC STREET TEAM BUT AN EXPRESSION OF AN IDEA?!?

STOP BEING SO LITERAL.  LAW IS NOT LITTERAL.  HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EQUITY!

STOP MAKING ME RESPOND IN ALL CAPS.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2004, 01:05:36 pm »
yes..please stop making him reply in all caps.

lol
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2004, 01:10:37 pm »
Quote from: "tricia"

lol

It hurts my pinky  :cry:

---Andrew

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2004, 01:11:01 pm »
He is responsible for his own behavior.

tricia

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2004, 01:12:36 pm »

lol

Caps lock...?

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2004, 01:12:37 pm »
WTF IS THIS ENTIRE SITE BUT AN EXPRESSION OF AN IDEA?!?

What did they take from this site besides a name? Remember, a name can only be trademarked, not copyrighted.

WHAT IS AN ONLINE VC COMMUNITY BUT AN EXPRESSION OF AN IDEA?!?

This community is a group of people. Individuals may express an idea, such as on this forum and on AIM. What they write is an expression of an idea which is subject to copyright. However, community as a whole is not a work. A community is comprised of people.

WHAT IS A VC STREET TEAM BUT AN EXPRESSION OF AN IDEA?!?

An organization that promotes an idea, just like this forum.

STOP BEING SO LITERAL.  LAW IS NOT LITTERAL.  HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EQUITY!

Have you ever read court papers? Obviously not. Court papers in intellectual property cases are especially notorious for being extremely technical and detailed.

STOP MAKING ME RESPOND IN ALL CAPS.

You are doing that on your own.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2004, 01:24:19 pm »
There are a alot of interpretations of the law, unfortunately.  If you/we are going to do something, just tell it to the judge or other authority responsible for the matter, grathis.  Otherwise, there is no point to this aurgument --except maybe entertainment.

People have all these great interpretations of the world.  I wonder what percentage of the problems we have are based on interpretation of the law.

tylor

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2004, 01:35:04 pm »

lol

Caps lock...?

what's tha-

HOLY CRAP! I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS HERE!!!!!!

@ Will - Obv, this point is up for debate.  And as we are having it in AIM right now, I will not subject this MB to it.

Either way, we agree that the position is sketchy.  The question is under which laws.

---Andrew

tricia

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2004, 01:41:02 pm »
awww...you kissed and made up...how cute!!!!

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2004, 01:42:17 pm »

lol

Caps lock...?

LOL- tricia so thinking that- ever since i went into gangsta mode i have been thinking like you. Strange, eh?
"I'm all about the wordplay."

tricia

• Moderators
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2004, 01:49:00 pm »
I am the OG you know

;)

You are too funny Rosie...I'm counting on you to take me to some posh shoppes if I ever get my bloody bum to merry ol England.  Pip pip <3<3

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2004, 01:56:06 pm »
I am the OG you know

;)

You are too funny Rosie...I'm counting on you to take me to some posh shoppes if I ever get my bloody bum to merry ol England.  Pip pip <3<3

Crikey! You're coming to England old chum!? Jolly hockeysticks! I am very much looking forward to it! You can be sure i will take you around all of Ye Olde Shoppes of London Town. Toodle-oo!

Ahhh, finally- a mode i feel comfortable in! That whole gangsta thing was making me feel mildly illiterate.
"I'm all about the wordplay."