• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • ICQ Messenger - 62879091
    • MSN Messenger - emilyct84@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ieatpijunz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ceruleantown.com/
Monk
« on: August 31, 2004, 12:27:06 pm »
Anybody else watch Monk on the USA network?  I like the show, but it is sad because today they announced that the actress that plays Sharona, Monk's sidekick/assistant/nurse/potential love interest, whatever you want to call her, has left the show  :cry:

Article: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=597&ncid=763&e=1&u=/nm/20040831/tv_nm/television_monk_dc

katiakaysha: I MUST DO MY PEEPEES

TSE

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Monk
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 12:32:13 pm »
Oh no!  We love Monk!

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
Monk
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 08:37:54 pm »
i love Monk, So funny!
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

emmy

• View Profile
Monk
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 06:31:54 am »
Well a lot of the funny things were his interactions with Sharona and her son Benji... now they wont be on the show anymore... sooooo...

Well, I don't know.  I have this gut feeling that without Sharona everything is going to stink.  How will they even describe her leaving?  Monk will be so sad.

Chloe

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - evanessa831
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Nessaholic831
    • View Profile
    • Email
Monk
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 03:16:31 pm »
SHARONA'S LEAVING? what did i miss? how can they have monk without sharona? but yeah... I love this show.

Things are going crazy and I'm not sure who to blame...
November 9th 2004...H a r m o n i u m!!!
Spare me just three last words, I love you is all she heard...

emmy

• View Profile
Monk
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 04:39:42 pm »
Quote from: "AFallingStar"
SHARONA'S LEAVING? what did i miss? how can they have monk without sharona? but yeah... I love this show.

Okay, now the rumor is, the actress was all like showing up late and not caring because she was all a "big star" because of the show doing so well, and they fired her.  So shes gone.  Probably for good.

Monk's seasons are split in half, so when the next season starts in March or whenever it does, Sharona will be gone.  I think it will be written into the story that her mother in New Jersey got sick and she had to go care for her.

I dont know.  Monk without Sharona, I think will spell death.

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Monk
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 03:03:13 pm »
oh man, I really love this show.  Well maybe a fresh face will add some new plot lines. Hopefully Monk will get a new nurse. Remember the lady who filled in for Sharona? That woman was hilarious.
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Monk
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 03:20:59 pm »
aw that sucks that there won't be any sharona! i agree with emily, she was the base for a LOT of the comedy in the shows :-/ but who knows, maybe he'll get a new sidekick that will be funnier. guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Xenophanes

Monk
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 03:40:15 pm »
I love Monk; I can relate to a lot of the things he does :wink: However, I can't imagine the show without Sharona...I don't know what they'll do... :?

emmy

• View Profile
Monk
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 03:53:26 pm »
Quote from: "VaderDawsn"
Hopefully Monk will get a new nurse. Remember the lady who filled in for Sharona? That woman was hilarious.

I remember that lady, and she WAS funny, but she was extremely annoying though.  One episode with her I think was more than enough.

From the casting call info that has been floating around on the net, they are looking for a 35-ish year old female to play a bartender.  o.0;  Bartender???

TSE

• MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Monk
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 12:02:24 pm »
Quote from: "Xenophanes"
I can relate to a lot of the things he does

And proud of it!

emmy

• View Profile
Monk
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2004, 12:26:03 pm »
from the chicago sun-times

Drama 'Monk' needs the strong female character it's axing

September 15, 2004

They wouldn't split up Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Everyone knows there would be no Starsky without Hutch.

So why the heck do the folks who produce "Monk" want to split up the main character from his sidekick and trusted nurse, Sharona?

Late last month the cable network USA announced that actress Bitty Schram, who portrays Sharona, would not be returning to the show in the second half of the third season, which begins in January.

A lot has been made about Tony Shalhoub's portrayal of the obsessive-compulsive detective Adrian Monk. For those unfamiliar with the show, Monk was once a celebrated detective in the San Francisco Police Department. The unsolved murder of his wife left him a broken man with so many phobias he lost his job. Now he's a consulting detective to the department and can function at all largely because of his assistant/private nurse, Sharona.

Shalhoub won an Emmy for his role and is up for another Sunday. There's no doubt he does a great job as the unconventional detective. So yes, I realize he's the star of the show. But even the great Sherlock Holmes wouldn't have been who he was without his sidekick. And Schram, who was nominated for a Golden Globe for her role, is a great, albeit very unlikely, Dr. Watson to Shalhoub's Monk.

It makes me really cranky to think the show's bosses don't realize the value of the lone woman in the cast of regulars. (Was it really an amicable split or money that brought the change?) And Schram's Sharona isn't your usual female TV babe, most of whom seem to portray what men think a woman should be. Sharona is the kind of gal females can relate to readily. She's such a richly drawn character it's a shame to see her go.

In the sea of male detectives in which Monk operates, Sharona holds her own. Here's a woman who's never hesitant to voice an opinion or bluntly tell Monk and the others their theories are dead wrong. In the one episode where everyone else is too afraid to pull the big boss's toupee off his head to nab a killer, it's Sharona who jumps on his back and gives it a good yank.

Despite working among all these male professionals, Sharona doesn't feel compelled to don a sterile nurse's outfit. Nope, she is a woman and she's going to flaunt it. Short skirts, knee-high boots and scooped-out necklines fill her wardrobe. Yet she gives off an air that commands respect from the opposite sex.

She's is a single mom of the now-adolescent Benji. On any other show Benji would appear here and there as a cute accessory. In "Monk" Sharona often has to bring her son along or take her needy boss home with her so Benji isn't left alone. Any working mom juggling a job and kids can relate to her dilemma.

Schram's character is one street-smart female. It's only in love that her decision-making is iffy. (Let's see, there was the murderer she met after the earthquake, the mob enforcer, that unreliable ex-husband . . .) But women forgive her and can sympathize. After all, she's only looking for someone to love and sometimes that need clouds a woman's judgment.

I doubt a "Bring Back Sharona" campaign would work. But I'm telling you, if Monk's new assistant is some ditzy broad, I'm switching channels.

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Monk
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 05:35:39 pm »
Emily,

Thanks for sharing the info.  I'll keep my hopes up that they'll cast someone interesting.
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

emmy

• View Profile
Monk
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 05:00:02 am »
'Bram and Alice' Star Howard Takes 'Monk' Vow

(Wednesday, September 15 03:44 PM)
LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Traylor Howard, who's starred in such shows as "Boston Common" and "Bram and Alice," is joining the cast of USA Network's "Monk."
She'll play a single mom and former bartender named Natalie who becomes neurotic detective Adrian Monk's (Tony Shalhoub) new assistant. Howard essentially replaces Bitty Schram, who left the show a couple of weeks ago.

"Every successful series changes over the course of its life," says Jeff Wachtel, head of original programming at USA. "We were fortunate to have Bitty Schram in our cast for two and a half seasons, and we are thrilled to have Traylor Howard join our cast now."

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Monk
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 05:57:56 am »
Oooooh she was on the show Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Place - it's rerun-ed on WE

fun times my friends, fun times