Author Topic: 11/5/2004: Savannah College (SCAD) - Savannah, GA (review)  (Read 10314 times)

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kyyyyyy
    • View Profile
11/5/2004: Savannah College (SCAD) - Savannah, GA (review)
« on: November 07, 2004, 01:44:49 pm »
[discussion]

Setlist:

Papa really great, she sang it the way she used to, only her vocal abilities are better now :D
San Fran I was really impressed with how it sounded as a piano/vocal. I thought it would really sound like it was lacking a lot without the strings.
Ordinary Day She told the story of how it was the only song she was able to write in one sitting so she was so proud of it. Absolutely awsome. She hit every single note perfectly, this one really proved how much she's improved with singing. Divide and Conquer version!
Who's to Say My favorite or second favorite at the concert. You could feel the emotion building with each verse and chorus. This is one of the two songs that her voice had the most emotion in. She said that it was super personal and it's about being in a relationship that your parents don't approve of.
Swindler Fantastic! I'd forgotten how much I love this song. She said this is probably one of her favorite songs she's written, and she's been playing it for a long time, but since it didn't fit on Harmonium, she still had to play it. And that "it's not crappy" :lol:
White Houses Talked about the misunderstanding of this song. "Everyone thinks it's solely about sex... it's not! It's just MOSTLY about sex" and was talking about how MTV shouldn't censor "blood" if they don't censor the "booties" and naked people in rap videos.
Afterglow "This song is NOT about sex," she said as she began to play this song. Probably my third favorite song she played.
Morning Sting YES!!! I was SO glad to hear this song, and to me, she sounded better this time than she did in (I forget where, but wherever the good sounding recording was made) Her voice was clearer and purer. Definitely one of the highlights of the show. Her comment about this song was something along the lines of "You know how it would feel if you had to give your kid up?..." and then something like "It's like this song is some old guy on the side of the road because it got left behind, so I try to play it at as many shows as I can so it doesn't feel bad"
C'est La Vie She said that sometimes she'll press the wrong buttons on the Rhodes (whose name is Charlie, btw) and it'll start playing the star-spangled banner "or something like that" and she'll get really embarrassed. One of her "angsty songs, which I thought I'd gotten over, but I guess I hadn't..."
Wanted Which I think is the song she said she was NOT lip-syncing. She told the story about her neighbor and how stupid guys are. Then she said "No, I'm sorry, I love guys, I really do." She sang the version where it says "more than you'll feel" I thought that was neat.
She Floats She says she's drawn to really bright 7 and 8 year old girls that are really bright and wear Mary Janes. And the song is about a girl like that who has a secret- that she's dead. It was inspired by a ghost girl in her tour bus bathroom. Really rad job at this song, if I may add.
Annie "This is about a girl who's very much alive," she said after ending She Floats. She told the story about Victoria, I cried when I heard it from her because it was just a great story. She says that Victoria has beautiul long hair now :D  This or Who's to Say was my favorite song she did. Again, so much emotion in this song, and her vocals were incredibly strong in it. Me= very impressed.
Rinse She told the stalker story. Loved it! She also said that she wrote it for her friend, Jenny. And something about girls having "that psycho switch when it comes to guys" My friends and I were laughing so hard at that, because for us, it's always on!
Winter Talked about her obsession with vampires and how sexy they are. About how she wants to know what it feels like right before getting bitten by one because "in the movies" the girls always look so pleasured right before they're bit. She also said that it's complaining about Darwin's theory of Survival of the Fittest.
ATM "I'm gonna be doing this god damn song for the rest of my god damn life!!" It was great, she's much better at this song vocally now.
encore:
Twilight PERFECT closer! Some people left before she played it, though.

Vanessa did a meet and greet, and I had her sign my BnN piano book, because it was the first piano book I'd ever bought and she's who inspired me to start playing again. My friends and I made sure we were last in line so we could take pictures and talk to her longer, which worked! My friends were mostly too nervous to talk to her beyond saying "I loved the show" but this time I wasn't so bad talking to her. I gave her two shirts that I'd bought for her- one was a Zeppelin shirt, and the other had GIR from the TV show Invader ZIM on it. She's like "Wait you got these for me to sign, or you actually bought them for me?!" She also said how sweet it was of me to do that for her. I told her my name and asked if she remembered when I called into talk to her at the Atlanta station, Q100 and mentioned skanky pop stars and asked how she feels when people gush to her about her being their inspiration. She said she thought she did remember, and she signed the book as "For Ky, much love and peace. Rockin! peace, Vanessa Carlton" while my friends just got the "Vanessa Carlton" thing. They were jealous, but they got over it when they started feeling happy for me lol Vanessa is just the sweetest girl, and she's SO pretty, too!

Sorry if that was too long! I got excited and decided to post everything I could remember! lol

EDIT: I taped this show, so how do I know if it's legal or right to put the recording online?
sig & av by natalie, thank you!

KilgoreTrout

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 02:06:36 pm »
Friday, November 5, 2004
Savannah, GA
8:00 - Trustees Theater
attendance ~900

Setlist:
Papa
San Francisco
Ordinary Day
Who's To Say
Swindler
White Houses
Afterglow
Morning Sting
Cest' La Vie
Wanted
She Floats
Annie
Rinse
Half a Week Before the Winter
A Thousand Miles
-----
Twilight

Vanessa showed what a great performer and talented pianist she is on Friday at the Trustees theater.  This was her “living room” tour with just her and no band, but she carried the show perfectly.  As with most previous shows, she dressed up for the occasion in her white dress.

Vanessa showed off all her skills – she is more than just a great piano player – and she IS really great, it's not smoke and mirrors, it's talent and hard work.  She can also sing like crazy – I guess Wanted jumped out at me as the best example but in other songs, too.  And just the way she carries herself and the attitude and composure she has on stage is worthy of admiration – put it all together and you have a great performance.

The show seemed to be pretty typical of the previous shows I had read about.  Vanessa began each song with a short introduction.  She would play a little something on the piano while she collected her thoughts and then give a little intro to the song in the form of a story.  She said it was like VH1 storytellers in that respect.  Nothing really groundbreaking as the stories were mostly the same as previous shows.

Ordinary Day was introduced as the only song she ever wrote in one sitting and had the lyric change to “divide and conquer this land” that is becoming standard.

Vanessa was surprised that MTV had censored the song White Houses, since they're always on there shaking their booty, so it's kind of hypocritical.  Come on already, the song isn't only about sex, just mostly about sex.

Afterglow is a song that isn't about sex, but it is called afterglow.  

Cest' La Vie was the one song played on that other keyboard, not the grand piano.  The spotlight followed her over there, which Vanessa said was “all high-tech.”  She had to be careful not to push any buttons other than the keys, or the Star Spangled Banner might start playing, which would have been embarrassing.  

Annie was introduced as a song about a sick girl named Victoria who had leukemia but is now doing better.  Victoria didn't work too well lyrically though, hence the name change – Victoria is ok with it though.

Before Rinse, Vanessa mentioned that women have a little switch that can cause them to go psycho and start stalking a man.  Unfortunately, the friend who the song is about has recently had some more relationship troubles and the switch had been flipped.

Wanted had the story about the guy who wasn't interested in Vanessa until he saw her play the piano and then was too stupid to figure out the song was about him..

I forget when, but at one point Vanessa alluded to Ashlee Simpson and made some joke about lip-syncing.  

I think Vanessa is about as tired of playing A Thousand Miles as I am of hearing it.  She introduced it by saying that she would probably be playing it the rest of her goddamn life.

Twilight was a great end to the show – my favorite for a closing song, don't like the Be Not Nobody version though.

The opening act was Christopher Jak, who gave a worthy performance – he was also out there all alone with no band – just him and his acoustic guitar.  Reminiscent of John Mayer, I suppose – he played well, but I'm not sure I heard anything that would be commercially successful.

The show had more of a piano recital flavor to it than the rock show flavor of the last tour in 2002.  It was different, and there is a certain feeling when the whole band comes out and starts into Unsung that is pretty wild, and some people may miss the more rocked-out approach, but I'm not one of them.  I loved hearing the new music, and can't wait to get the new cd for real on Tuesday. (This was my first time hearing most of the songs since I've been in a voluntary new album blackout – it was worth the wait).

-brian

emmy

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • ICQ Messenger - 62879091
    • MSN Messenger - emilyct84@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ieatpijunz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ceruleantown.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 02:19:19 pm »
thanks for the reviews, both of you!

katiakaysha: I MUST DO MY PEEPEES

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 02:29:43 pm »
I'm surprised she didn't play The Wreckage (which I just happen to be listening to right now)... but sounds like a cool show nonetheless.

emmy

• ICQ Messenger - 62879091
    • MSN Messenger - emilyct84@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ieatpijunz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ceruleantown.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 02:55:59 pm »
maybe she's tired of the autocide story, hahaha.

katiakaysha: I MUST DO MY PEEPEES

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 03:06:21 pm »
Quote from: "Laura"
I'm surprised she didn't play The Wreckage (which I just happen to be listening to right now)... but sounds like a cool show nonetheless.

I was SO hoping she would play that! It's one of my favorite songs of hers... ever. But we got Annie, which would probably have a more lasting effect on me than the Wreckage would.

Unicorn

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
Re: 11/5/2004: Savannah College - Savannah, GA (review)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 03:24:44 pm »
Fantastic reviews, guys. :) Thanks for those.

Quote from: "All I Ask2003"
EDIT: I taped this show, so how do I know if it's legal or right to put the recording online?

It's probably not legal but that won't stop me from asking you if you're planning on uploading it somewhere. Yeah, I'm shameless.  8O

Xenophanes

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 03:26:31 pm »
Quote from: "Laura"

I was SO hoping she would play that! It's one of my favorite songs of hers... ever. But we got Annie, which would probably have a more lasting effect on me than the Wreckage would.

I'm not actually too upset about that...The Wreckage is my least favorite off Harmonium, and I would much prefer to hear both Morning Sting and Annie when I see V in SF than The Wreckage...

All I Ask2003

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 03:42:56 pm »
Quote from: "Unicorn"

It's probably not legal but that won't stop me from asking you if you're planning on uploading it somewhere. Yeah, I'm shameless.  8O

Well, I'll distribute, if I can get permission from like one of the head NESSAholics or something...

tricia

• Moderators
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 03:51:58 pm »
Quote from: "Unicorn"

Well, I'll distribute, if I can get permission from like one of the head NESSAholics or something...

http://forum.nessaholics.com/viewtopic.php?t=2185
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Alecs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 05:49:32 pm »
nice! :D
"The crows seemed to be calling his name thought Caw..."

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 08:28:14 pm »
Took the trip to Greenville directly after the concert, so I just got home.  Forgive the tardiness.

BTW, All I Ask2003, did you move up to the front row on the left side?  Just wondering.

Anyway... I liked it, but to me the vocals didn't sound good and I should make it clear that it was NOT Vanessa's fault.  Her voice was great, I should make that clear.  The building was built for plays and such and the acoustics in the building were absolutely horrible.  To make up for this, they tried to blare the music too loud.  This doesn't go well with Vanessa's voice which tends to screech at high volumes.  It bugged me a lot.  The Atlanta concert was 100x better, but I don't think any of this was Vs fault.

Christopher Jak was a great opening act.  I really enjoyed his style of music and plan on finding some of his out there.  The girls thought he was cute too.

San Fran was my favorite performance of the night.  This song really shows off her vocal skills and her skills on the bench.  She did a superb job here.

To tell the truth, I hadn't been paying much attention to V in the past few months.  I like how she went into detail about each song because I learned a lot this way.  A lot of the songs don't make any sense unless you know what it's supposed to mean and she did a good job here.

Who's To Say is where the lacking in a good audio department showed.  Whenever V hit a high note in the song, it kinda screeched.  Very bad audio again.  Rather sad.

Not impressed with Morning Sting.  Shoot me.

Was impressed with Afterglow, and Annie.  Did a good job here.  I think the main difference is that these songs tend to be in a lower key so the problems in audio didn't come out so bad.

Had a good time.  Unfortunately, we didn't stick around for the meet and great because we had to head back to Greenville.  Another day I hope.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

reese052

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
Great show!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 06:53:40 am »
I can't believe my friend missed this show!  I did meet the lady that bought her ticket.  Darrell was really nice and she even gave me $5 that I needed to purchase her new CD and had a chance to meet Vanessa.  Thanks, Darrell!  I will "pay it forward" since you wouldn't let me pay you back.  I love it when there are still people out there that gives you hope for mankind and can be good and will still help out others.

The only thing that I was upset about was they wouldn't let us take a pic with her.  All she did was sign our booklets and that was it!  If I had know that I probably wouldn't have purchased her CD for $15.  I could have bought it at Best Buy for $10.  Anyway, it was still nice to "meet" her if you could even call it that.  She will never remember any of us.  She may remeber some, but not all of us.  It's hard when you achive that kind of success and still be looked upon as "normal".  Untouchable is more like it.

Anyway, overall it was a great show.  I never knew how talented she is on that piano.  Her voice was also great.  It's nice to know that she sounds as good live.  No lip synching going on!  She even mentioned that on the show.  Her voice did not waver one bit.  She looked great in her white dress and high heel black boots.  She said that she wanted to dress up a bit since she was inviting us to her living room.  It was more like a VHI storytellers concert as she mentioned.

Set list was already posted.  I tried to post whatever was left out, but I think I may still have missed some stuff.  I'll leave that for others.  The opening act was also good.  Christopher Jak was nice and cordial enough.  Got his signature and a pic w/ him.  He does favor the John Mayer and Jason Marz sound.  We'll see if he does achieve commercial success.

LikeAShootingStar

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shannachaleefan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - chaleefannat
    • View Profile
    • Email
thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 07:50:20 am »
Thanks for posting the reviews.  I had friggin' front row seats but my roommate is a loser and backed on driving the 7.5 hours with me so yes, I missed Vanessa. I'm still depressed. THANKS to Katia's Lover for calling me during Afterglow. I sobbed incesently afterwords. You rock.
-I will never see the sky the same way. And I will learn to say goodbye to yesterday and I will never cease to fly if held down. Cause I've seen, Cause I've seen, Twilight.-

Katia's Lover

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
Re: thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 07:51:51 am »
Quote from: "LikeAShootingStar"
You rock.

You know it.  I rule.  Everyone must bow down to my better goodness.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/