Author Topic: Donations for Sri Lankan Tsunami Victims  (Read 2672 times)

Dj SG

• Make me high on lullabies
    • ICQ Messenger - 178704000
    • MSN Messenger - djsg15@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Donations for Sri Lankan Tsunami Victims
« on: December 30, 2004, 12:05:24 am »
The Situation
It´all started around 9 am on the day after Christmas. The Tsunami waves hit the coastline of Sri Lanka. Smashing buildings to the ground, swallowing everything in its path. more than 30000 people have lost their lives in sri lanka. more than 1000 were tourists. the numbers are still rising. the stench of decomposing bodies lies heavy upon the coastal region. Roads are covered with remains of once beautiful houses and hotels. Unawatuna, once the 7th most beautiful beach in the world is now only a beach filled with bodies, ruins and sorrow. 4 days after the tragedy and people are still running here and there in search of their loved ones. The ones from the coastal region who escaped the tragedy have nothing left apart from the clothes on their backs. No more drinking water, no food, no money and all alone. In the Weligama-Midigama area alone, more that 5000 people lost their lives. among them, fishermen, shop keepers, small children, elderly, infants, tourists etc...
they are still retrieving people from ditches, beneath rubble, smashed vehicles, trees, the sea, inside remanis of hotels and everywhere else. the situation is horrendous.

pictures of the Tsunami aftermath in sri lanka
http://groups.msn.com/uralubsfotosbricom/tsunamidisastersrilanka.msnw

What we are doing
We are currently buying Rice, dry fish, lentils, vegetables, milk powder, medicine, tea, bottled water, sugar etc... allover the island, making meal packages and giving them to the Tsunami Victims.

What you can do
a) Keep bumping this thread / make it a sticky thread
b) Make a donation of any amount*

*If you are willing to make a donation, please contact Heike Gerbracht (my mom) at targetagri@eureka.lk

peace
Sascha

stickied -katia
Carpe'Diem

Scotty

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 12:05:49 pm »

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 02:24:53 pm »
just finished watching Oprah on this. Definitely find SOME way to send money - that's what they need most right now.

if you don't think you can afford to send money, evaluate what you buy in one month, and chances are you can find something to give up buying for a month and send that money instead. really, compare what you would be losing by going without chips for a month and how much you would be helping someone buy contributing to a new house, food, clothing, even job for them.

Here's Oprah's Angel Network page with a list of places where you can send money

Steavis

• MSN Messenger - Steavis09@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - A+Name+Perhaps
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Steavis09@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 06:47:45 am »
I was actually about to go to my commander to volunteer to go over to Sri Lanka after that happened, but with the leg injuries I've acquired I figured they'd rather I stay back and try to heal up, I mean how much can a guy that can't walk a mile really do in a relief effort?........some of our guys from Madigan have gone on over there though
Washington is a dreadfully awful place......this I've learned

Afterglow

• **BANNED**
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • MSN Messenger - white_houses@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - XxSaturdaysxX
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Mcaofera_wunderschon
    • View Profile
    • http://www.harmonium.rg3.net
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 11:00:46 am »
Holding on to the pics

Oh My God.. That's so sad...

............ Vou para Europa descobrir alguns segredos da Vida ............

Dj SG

• ICQ Messenger - 178704000
    • MSN Messenger - djsg15@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 06:53:25 am »
time to make an update.

the situation is slowly becoming normal again. around 90% still live in refugee camps and temporary houses. a small amount STILL live in tents. various organizations have started building houses. but these things take time. it will take atleast another 2 years till most of the tsunami victims can move in to those houses. if you're interested in the happenings of the sri lankan coastal village, weligama, click on the link below...

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/weligama
Carpe'Diem