Author Topic: Guitarists  (Read 3888 times)

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Guitarists
« on: February 05, 2005, 06:44:35 am »
From "The Recent Pictures Thread Part 2".

Quote from: "amberbeads"
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
Jimmy Page.

agreed.

Quote from: "Grakthis"
Quote from: "kev222"
Don't even get me started on Jimmy "overrated" Page. He's just not in the same league as some of the guys being thrown around in this thread.

-Kev

:rosie:

Your mom is overrated  :evil:

Jimmy Page is a technically VERY impressive soloist and his rifts are nothing but perfect.  He fits the time, his speed is impressive, he stays on key.  I don't know what more you could ask for.  Have you heard their live stuff?  rawk.

As for your Pearl Jam comment, YOU SIR HAVE DECLARED WAR!  Mike McCready is one of the best guitar players who is still alive any playing.  Hands down.  Have you heard them?!?  Have you really listened to the way they layer guitars on their STUDIO songs?!?  They play stuff that is LEGITIMATLY hard to play.  Given to fly?!?  i am not guitar god myself, but that fuckin song is HARD to play.  Have you listened to Black?  Follow the guitar in the background.  Not the rythm.... the lead in the background.  Stone always plays the rhytm... and he's just average.  but McCready plays the lead in every song and it's PERFECT.  It just blends in and you never notice.  It's like a backup singer.

Eric Clapton is ALSO a very talented guitar player... not due to SPEED so much as RANGE.  The man can play any guitar and any style and he can make it sound perfect.  The man could play Metallica in 5 minutes if you gave him an album.

And I respect being able to make fun noises with a guitar.  I think that's as much "playing" as what anyone else does.  It's creating awesome sounds with an instrument that others cannot or would find difficult to do.

Tom Morello is amazing because what he does other people cannot do.  Ani DiFranco is amazing because what she does other people cannot do.

RAAAAAAH!  Fighting is good for my nerves :)

Quote from: "blackvulture"
Besides, Terry Balsamo is the greatest guitarist evar. listen to COLD's 13 Ways To Bleed CD. Efanar is a close second.

Your post is littered with terms like "hard", "difficult", "impressive". These terms mean different things to different people because they all have a different basis for comparison. From your statements, I suspect that you have just never been exposed in any real way to music where the guitarists are pushing the upper extremes of hard, difficult and impressive.

A friend of mine was into Pearl Jam pretty heavily. So, unfortunately, I have heard tons of their stuff. Studio and live (thanks to their infinite stream of live recording releases). But I'd never taken too much notice, so I've just downloaded "Given To Fly" and "Black". I liked some of the lead work, especially beyond the 4 minute mark in "Black" (and yes, I have to agree, the mix is cool at that point). I've also heard my fair share of Page stuff (who hasn't) and I just downloaded some solos. Then I downloaded some live Tremonti solos, just to put my mind at rest ;-). But all of the stuff that I have heard isn't technically impressive or difficult to play WHEN COMPARED TO the truely great guitarists that I've been naming so far.

I've taken the liberty of encoding four 30 seconds clips. They're a pretty good cross section of techniques by 4 of the best in the business. I din't got too far out of my way to find the best of the best parts, these clips are all fairly typical.

John Petrucci
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Jason Becker

Challenge: Is there any recording in existance, studio or live, that gives any suggestion that Page, McCready, Clapton, Moody, Balsamo, Tremonti or [Insert mediocre guitarist here] could potentially play anything comparable to these passages? Nope. They're simply not good enough. These guys have mastered every technique at every position, in time and up to phenominal speeds, mastered music theory and written songs that contain plenty of feeling along side technical ability (there are plenty of crappy shred-only guitarists out there, not these guys). They're the total package. There are many guitarists like the four above. Page and McCready wouldn't make any objective top 100. And that's just rock and metal. When you factor in jazz-fusion and classical guitarists, they wouldn't even get a look in on a top 500 or 1000. They are very, very unremarkable.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to hate Petrucci's music, or to prefer music from inferior guitaists like Page and McCready. People should buy and listen to whatever moves them. There's more to music than guitar. If you love Zepplin and Pearl Jam, great. But don't give over-the-top credit where it simply isn't due. They're just not that great. People overrate them because they're in legendary bands that shaped the history of music.

And I respect being able to make fun noises with a guitar.  I think that's as much "playing" as what anyone else does.  It's creating awesome sounds with an instrument that others cannot or would find difficult to do.

Tom Morello is amazing because what he does other people cannot do.  Ani DiFranco is amazing because what she does other people cannot do.

If there's a fun noise to be made on the guitar, Steve Vai has already made it and put it to better use than Morello. Morello's leads aren't in the least bit difficult. Original and interesting it could be argued, but not difficult (by the highest standards). There are plenty of guitarists who could play anything he can. I have no beef with Ani DiFranco, I've never heard her.

-Kev

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
Guitarists
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 10:25:38 am »
nice clips  :D   You heard my favorite, i think he compares well up there with those guys.  Of course Kev you are very into the screeching high pitched solos ay  :razz:
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guitarists
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 11:25:08 am »
Quote from: "Logikal X"
nice clips  :D   You heard my favorite, i think he compares well up there with those guys.

It's hard to compare pickstyle electric players to fingerstyle acoustic players, but yeah, from what I've seen and what little I know about acoustic playing, Justin King seems to hold his own pretty well. A serious talent, no doubt.

Quote from: "Logikal X"
Of course Kev you are very into the screeching high pitched solos ay  :razz:

Indeed 8)

-Kev

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guitarists
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 08:43:38 am »
Quote from: "I"
Challenge: Is there any recording in existance, studio or live, that gives any suggestion that Page, McCready, Clapton, Moody, Balsamo, Tremonti or [Insert mediocre guitarist here] could potentially play anything comparable to these passages?

I must say, Page/McCready/Clapton/Balsamo/Tremonti proponents, your silence speaks volumes ;-)

-Kev

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Guitarists
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 08:54:17 am »
Challenge: Is there any recording in existance, studio or live, that gives any suggestion that Page, McCready, Clapton, Moody, Balsamo, Tremonti or [Insert mediocre guitarist here] could potentially play anything comparable to these passages?

I must say, Page/McCready/Clapton/Balsamo/Tremonti proponents, your silence speaks volumes ;-)

-Kev

or that we just don't care anymore :wink:
i'm still a huge tremonti fan and hold him quite high, if you disagree, fine, you're allowed.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guitarists
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 09:01:05 am »
or that we just don't care anymore :wink:

Yeah, or that. But let's pretend it isn't.

i'm still a huge tremonti fan and hold him quite high, if you disagree, fine, you're allowed.

Thanks. Obviously it was never my intention to convince you to stop being a fan or that it's wrong to be a fan. However, as you were unable/unwilling to argue successfully against the accusation of mediocrity. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to ban you from using the term "guitar god" in connection with him ever again ;-)

-Kev

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Guitarists
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 09:30:49 am »
:(
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Guitarists
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 10:57:02 am »

-Kev

Oh, I will be responding.  Now that I see this thread.

But I can't till tonight when I get home from class.  Which will be like 3am your time.  So you will see SOME sort of response tommorow hopefully.

Also, I am aware of the difference between "what I like" and "what is difficult."  So I assume you are harping on that difference for others in this thread.  Because I personally do not listen to ANY SRV, but I realize how amazing he was.  Same with Jeff Beck.

I feel confident I can find solos from Clapton and McCready that will impress you.

And I find it HIGHLY unlikely that Steve Vai is doing the same types of Guitar tricks as Tom Morello.  Tom Morello is pretty well known as an innovator in the guitar industry.

I don't fully understand why you think you are a better guitar expert than dozens of guitar magazines and general music magazines?

Hell, you ask GUITAR players who their idols are and they consistently list Clapton, Page and Eddie VanHalen.  Why are YOU a better judge of musical talent than the people out there DOING it and WRITING about it for a living?

I want your qualifications and your basis for the opinions.

And saying "Just listen..." is not a basis for opinion.  If it were, then people wouldn't still be arguing about it.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
Guitarists
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 10:57:15 am »

For Balsamo I would offer up Cold - Just Got Wicked.
(PM me for an MP3 if needed)

However I will add the disclaimer that since I do not have any idea how to play the guitar, I may be more easily impressed than someone like Kev222.
I can sit in band rehearsal for The Protocol, Jeff the guitarist is far from a guitar god, but even he comes out with some incredible stuff, a lot of which is borrowed from The Edge's style. It's all just different aspects of the creative process.
You even get someone like Kaki King that does stuff with a guitar that no one else as ever done (and made popular as far as I know).

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Guitarists
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 11:00:24 am »

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Steavis

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Steavis09@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - A+Name+Perhaps
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Steavis09@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guitarists
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 12:48:09 pm »
This guitarist says that if you want a guitarist you really need to look in a time zone under the 90's........though the 90's did produce a good number of good guitarists, the emphasis in music wasn't so much on the guitar, as the arrival of rap music showed. Jimi Hendrix in 69; Jimmy Page, George Harrison, and David Gilmour in the 70's and Kirk Hammet and Randy Rhoads for the 80's; even for the 90's you have Dimebag Darrell...............of course, keep in mind, I'm a lead guitarist, so the bias there is understandable, but either way, compared to what I hear, those still stand out as "above" the rest in my mind
Washington is a dreadfully awful place......this I've learned

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guitarists
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 03:28:19 pm »
But I can't till tonight when I get home from class.  Which will be like 3am your time.  So you will see SOME sort of response tommorow hopefully.

No rush.

Also, I am aware of the difference between "what I like" and "what is difficult."  So I assume you are harping on that difference for others in this thread.

I'm not aware that I harped on about that difference. If so, it was unintentional, so you can assume it wasn't directed towards anybody in particular.

I feel confident I can find solos from Clapton and McCready that will impress you.

Sweet :) The more solos in the thread the better.

And I find it HIGHLY unlikely that Steve Vai is doing the same types of Guitar tricks as Tom Morello.  Tom Morello is pretty well known as an innovator in the guitar industry.

You're probably right about them not doing the same tricks. What is true though is that Vai is also recognised as one of the biggest innovators in the electric guitar industry. So that makes them both innovators, all square so far. The difference is that Steve Vai posses a level of technical ability that far surpasses Morello's (unless you have anything to indicate otherwise). Which makes Vai better, lots better (objectively speaking).

I don't fully understand why you think you are a better guitar expert than dozens of guitar magazines and general music magazines?

Hell, you ask GUITAR players who their idols are and they consistently list Clapton, Page and Eddie VanHalen.  Why are YOU a better judge of musical talent than the people out there DOING it and WRITING about it for a living?

Bah. Arguments from authority. Magazines have to make money and for that they have to appeal to as many people as possible, so they have to feature the most popular guitarists. They also have to be interesting. An in depth technical analysis of who is better might be okay for one issue, but that's it. Readers are interested in far more than "who is better?". They want to read about the guitarists who's music they love, be it Page, McCready, whoever. Of course, there are plenty of magazines featuring the guitarists I listed too. They're just not featured as often because they have a smaller following.

Guitar players have idols because they loved their music, and rightly so. Nobody idolises guitarists purely because of ability. Shawn Lane is an awesome guitarist, one of the best who ever lived, but I hate jazz-fusion, so he's not my idol. My idol is Vivian Campbell (Dio). I love his solos way more than anybody else's. But I recognise that he's not the greatest guitarist ever, not by a fair distance. There are those who can do everything that Campbell can and more. Clearly the idols of famous guitarists are not a good measure of ability.

I want your qualifications and your basis for the opinions.

I don't have qualifications other than listening to a lot of technical guitar music, reading a lot of magazine/books and watching a lot of tapes/DVDs about technique and playing guitar myself. I'm not just asking you to accept my opinion on it's own strength, that's why I posted the clips (see next paragraph). Can you post any clips that indicate in any small way that Page, Clapton or McCready can play passages as technically challenging as those by Petrucci, Satriani, Vai and Becker?

Quote from: "grakthis"
And saying "Just listen..." is not a basis for opinion.

Indeed. However, I know the mechanics of most guitar techniques. I have attempted those techniques, so I know how difficult (or not) those techniques are. Generally my own findings are in agreement with everything I have read and seen about those techniques from players and teachers. This is the basis for my opinon that the clips I posted present a higher degree of technical difficulty than any I've ever witnessed from Page, McCready or Clapton. Take the Jason Becker clip. Sweep picked arpeggios. I wouldn't even like to guess the BPM. Obviously just an impressive solo from McCready wouldn't be enough. It would have to demonstrate a more difficult technique/combination of techniques or that he could sweep pick arpeggios as quickly and cleanly. There are many guitarists who can and, at the same time, can match (give or take) the other techniques in the above clips too. If McCready can't, then he falls drastically short of being "one of the best guitarists still alive and playing". Instead he falls into the very unexceptional (technically speaking, obviously YOU may still rightly consider him an exceptional musician).

Quote from: "grakthis"
If it were, then people wouldn't still be arguing about it.

People are still arguing about it because a lot of poeple do not have a good enough understand of the mechanics of playing the guitar, nor a broad enough knowledge of the guitarists out there and they often let their own tastes get in the way of the comparison.

-Kev

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
Guitarists
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 03:43:38 pm »
Quote from: "Vultch"
For Balsamo I would offer up Cold - Just Got Wicked.
(PM me for an MP3 if needed)

Cold have a special place in my heart from a long time ago. My brother and a friend used to play one of their CDs all the time. Reminds me of some particularly good times :)

Which album is the one with the song that goes something like "you super freak, you super f*#k" (guessing lyrics, hehe).

Quote from: "Vulch"
However I will add the disclaimer that since I do not have any idea how to play the guitar, I may be more easily impressed than someone like Kev222.
I can sit in band rehearsal for The Protocol, Jeff the guitarist is far from a guitar god, but even he comes out with some incredible stuff, a lot of which is borrowed from The Edge's style. It's all just different aspects of the creative process.

If you don't play guitar then you're only impressed by how it sounds. Which is fine. That's how everybody judges music, else what's the point? But sounding good doesn't make you the best guitarist in any objective way. Someone is always going to think that your favourite guy sounds like a heap of crap. When you start to play guitar you start to also recognise and be impressed by the technical aspects too, even if you don't like the music. I know because I was a listener first, player second :)

-Kev

Vultch

• Moderators
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Trading Yesterday
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BVulture
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theageof.info
    • Email
Guitarists
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 08:28:48 pm »
Which album is the one with the song that goes something like "you super freak, you super f*#k" (guessing lyrics, hehe).

That's "Give" from the first self titled album, which was before Terry joined the band actually.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Guitarists
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 07:14:18 am »
I ran out of time last night.

Still on my To-Do list.

BTW, I would point out that Dime Bag Darrel was a little known guitar player in popular music, but he was ALL OVER guitar magazines because of technical talent.

And again, I point out that people out there PLAYING the music professionally are listing guys you call "average, objectively" as their professional idols.

Where is BB King in all this?  Buddy Guy?

Or are we classifying them under "innovation, not objective skill" ?
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew