Author Topic: The Theme of Death In Vanessa's Songs  (Read 6567 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
The Theme of Death In Vanessa's Songs
« on: March 14, 2005, 11:33:39 am »
I thought I would open up this discussion since I haven't seen it yet as a thread of its own, and I would be really interested to read other addicts' views on the subject (of the theme in her songs, not necessarily on death itself.)  For example, songs like "Little Mary", "She Floats", "The Wreckage", "Annie", and "Twilight" all have clear death content in them.

"Little Mary" is about a girl who feels she has to be perfect to live and is, therefore, seriously considering suicide.  "She Floats" is about a girl who may very well be dead because she is so ghostlike.  "The Wreckage" focusses on the power to kill other people on the highway that another driver has.  "Annie" is about a girl dying of a disease.  And, at least to me, "Twilight" represents that line a person can feel forced to cross when depression takes the best of them.

I welcome other holics' comments on what I've said, as well as other views and other songs that share this theme, if in whole or in part.
Dustin

clamicas

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - claricecassou@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 12:44:12 pm »
Vanessa has said that she is fascinated/intrigued by death and that little mary her first song ever was about that.

The darker moments on Harmonium appear in a selection of moody and reflective songs about sex, suicide, insomnia, and death. Carlton says the songs demonstrate her altered perspective on the world, but that they're not entirely new issues of exploration for her. "These darker themes have always been part of my writing," she says. "The first song I ever wrote was called "Little Mary", about a girl who was about to jump off a building. I've always been fascinated by death."

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 01:15:33 pm »
What a fascinating thread!  

I love the theme of death in anything, especially music.  

I've always seen "Twilight" as a positive song.  Usually the chorus of a song holds its most imperative point--and the chorus in "Twilight" is very uplifting.  The verses describe the realizations that have changed her in a positive light. This song has always inspired me.  But that's just how I see it.    :D
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Re: Twilight
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 10:29:40 pm »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"

I've always seen "Twilight" as a positive song.  Usually the chorus of a song holds its most imperative point--and the chorus in "Twilight" is very uplifting.  The verses describe the realizations that have changed her in a positive light. This song has always inspired me.  But that's just how I see it.    :D

I agree:  "Twilight" is a positive song.  I see that it's about how bad events have brought about something good.  I know the song is autobiographical, but exactly how close my interpretation would be to what happened, I don't know.  But it seems to me that it's because she reached this deep, dark point in her life (twilight) where suicide might have possibly seemed like an option, she realized she had a problem and started to take steps toward her recovery.
Dustin

Lord Star

• Make me high on lullabies
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - solarianni
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 01:23:31 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"

I agree:  "Twilight" is a positive song.  I see that it's about how bad events have brought about something good.  I know the song is autobiographical, but exactly how close my interpretation would be to what happened, I don't know.  But it seems to me that it's because she reached this deep, dark point in her life (twilight) where suicide might have possibly seemed like an option, she realized she had a problem and started to take steps toward her recovery.

Yeepp, the song's therapeutic! Ahahaha :lol:

Lord Star

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - solarianni
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 01:24:16 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"

Yeepp, the song's therapeutic! Ahahaha :lol:

ThomasEj

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 04:00:57 am »
A for me twilight is a song really hard to understand... not only english in it but also what she meant in this song. though I alweys thought this is a positive song and I have got nice memories connected with this song.
Everything changes Friends become strangers
What we hold so dear slips away
The past keeps on fading, but I'll never forget you

vXxHarmoniumxXc

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - AmandaxGrint
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vXxHarmoniumxXc
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - AmandaxGrint
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessacarlton.com
    • Email
good thoughts
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 03:55:34 pm »
i like your idea of twilight being about death, i just cant say i agree. please check out my post on san fransisco sheet music.. thanks!
"This song is called afterglow, and it's not about sex.

just when the days start getting longer, shit! ... just when the days start getting colder.. the sun comes out for you.. and if you could see. wha's come over me. then you would know. cos i'm walking free. the wind at my back. i'm bathed in afterglow.. ow.. ow.."

saphire

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 12:53:41 am »
the touch of depressity and death in nessas songs always makes my problems look small. Thats why i love the music so much and shes the best artist out of my sight
The unicorns are riding high
Powerful in coats of white
I turn to look and burn my eyes
I carry on, I carry on

Lizziely

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 03:45:28 am »
Quote from: "saphire"
the touch of depressity and death in nessas songs always makes my problems look small. Thats why i love the music so much and shes the best artist out of my sight

Yeah, I agree, except that it makes me feel like I can relate to her music, in a way.

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 06:30:50 am »
I've always associated 'Twilight' with 9-11 :o It helped me overcome PTSD
from the events of that day over 18 months later. Almost prophetic lyrics >

And I will never see the sky the same way and
I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday and
I will never cease to fly if held down and
I will always reach too high cause I've seen, cause I've seen

LikeAShootingStar

• AOL Instant Messenger - shannachaleefan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - chaleefannat
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 02:13:27 pm »
wow , I never thought of it that way...
-I will never see the sky the same way. And I will learn to say goodbye to yesterday and I will never cease to fly if held down. Cause I've seen, Cause I've seen, Twilight.-

Pyro

• AOL Instant Messenger - dead+am+pyro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 10:36:28 pm »
I think the meanings to her songs are very interesting to try to decipher.  I don't think The Wreckage is about the power a driver a driver has to take another's life, but rather the power a driver has to take their own life. It sounds very much like she's contemplating suicide.

She Floats is one I don't fully understand. I think it's beautifully mysterious though.

Annie has to be the most upbeat song about death that I've ever heard. And that's a good thing because it's more about her being sorry that the little girl has to go, instead of hoping for death or making it a dark thing. It's upbeat because she wants to make the last parts of the girl's life enjoyable.

I like Little Mary... Hehe, when I first listened to it, I didn't expect that ending!

BlueStar

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 02:06:54 pm »
Quote from: "Pyro"

She Floats is one I don't fully understand. I think it's beautifully mysterious though.

At her Boston concert, Vanessa told us that She Floats is about a little girl that's a ghost. She has a fascination with death, vampires, ghosts, and other things of the sort. Also, she said that whenever she sees a little girl wearing black patent mary janes it just freaks her out.  :roll:

Plastic_Love1030

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 11:43:39 am »
I went to the Philly show in october and V said that The Wreckage is about an imagined car accident...
V wrote Twilight when she was depressed. It's just about how she wanted to overcome her depression and things like that.
Concert Tickets: $15
CD to support opening band: $3
Being in the same room as 'Nessa: priceless
10-30-04: Best day of my life!
Stand up, boy
I shine so bright when you're around