Author Topic: Oh The Grass is Green, but can you tell me, can you feel it?  (Read 11500 times)

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Oh The Grass is Green, but can you tell me, can you feel it?
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2005, 08:03:16 am »
Quote from: "Scotty"
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Quote from: "em one twenty-five boy"
OMG, do you actually want me to beat your arse down about this AGAIN? YOU'RE NOT WELSH- YOU'RE AMERICAN. Shut UP!

You try living in a nation of immigrants and then say that again.

Everyone lives in a nation of immigrants- no country has ever been exclusive (apart from maybe a random island in Indonesia or something). So i'll say it again, shall i?

I think immigration is becoming a big problem in the U.K.

Errr no its not. We have a population gap and soon the whole pensions sector will collapse if we don't have more workers- we need immigrants to fill this gap, because there aren't enough in the country already.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Scotty

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2005, 08:07:09 am »
What?!? Peter Snow clearly showed us on the big screen that these number of little blue 3d men are going to be multipied by so many million and something.... 8O

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Dancernl

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - balletstar86
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/dancernl/Menu9.html
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2005, 08:08:14 am »
Quote from: "em one twenty-five boy"
Everyone lives in a nation of immigrants- no country has ever been exclusive (apart from maybe a random island in Indonesia or something). So i'll say it again, shall i?

You're English. If you are of Saxon decent, you've been there for 1500-2000 years (or even longer, too lazy to look it up). If you're of Norman decent, that's been there for a bit less than 1000 years. That's far too long to maintain any sort of separate cultural identity.

In contrast, most of my family arrived here 125-150 years ago.

Nationalism and 'Heritage' are concepts  invented for political gain only a few hundred years ago- it means nothing.

finally, someone who gets it!  Will, go read Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson and then you'll understand where Rosie is coming from.
It is a crime to kill a neighbor, and an act of heroism to kill an enemy.  But who is an enemy and who is a neighbor is purely a matter of social definition.  - E.R. Leach

clamicas

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - claricecassou@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2005, 11:08:24 am »
actually everybody loves brazilians afterglow, everywhere I´ve been in the world (I´ve traveled quite a lot) we are the nationality ppl like the most :D , germans,italians, french, north americans,africans,asians. Part becasue of soccer, part because of the way we are such a warm type of crowd here in brazil, part because of the women, lots of reasons. I would even tell you  that by saying "I´m brazilian" is like having the password to be embraced by anyone abroad,seriously!
When you say you´re brazilian people imediatly treat you better, I´ve never felt anything prejuditial. Honestly, this thread at first was funny, now it´s stupid. Don´t complicate things for yourself murilo.

and I´m agaisn the soap opera you mentioned because they promote rodeos which is pure animal cruelty, so I´m extremely against that stupid soap ,murilo!

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2005, 03:16:09 pm »
Quote from: "Dancernl"
finally, someone who gets it!  Will, go read Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson and then you'll understand where Rosie is coming from.

Rosie and Anderson aren't saying exactly the same thing. Anderson deals with a defintion of nationalism that arose after the theory of divine right started to nosedive and the whole concept of a ruling heirarchy came into doubt. Yada yada yada... you've read the book. I don't need to elaborate. That is not the same as cultural identity (or "heritage"), which Anderson cites several examples that predates the emergence of his nationalism. Before people thought of themselves as a nation (in the modern sense of the word), they thought of themselves as a people, sharing a common language, common customs, etc etc. Examples of such beliefs are abundant from antiquity (the Assyrians) to the modern day (Native American tribes).
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne