Author Topic: Avatars and Signatures  (Read 12450 times)

ThomasEj

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: May 31, 2005, 03:32:05 am »
I have an idea for another Sticky topic (who decides if it's sticky or not? - make this topic sticky if you like the idea )

I think most of us is trying to do some avatars and signatures ourselves. So the idea is that we'll share here our artworks so that everybody can use it on this board or another... giving credit for the person who made a graphic.

This is what I've done 2 days ago.

these avatars are too big for nessaholics board, however, you can use it on other boards... we can promote Vanessa this way.
Everything changes Friends become strangers
What we hold so dear slips away
The past keeps on fading, but I'll never forget you

Scotty

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Avatars and Signatures
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 03:39:31 am »
Quote from: "ThomasEj"
I have an idea for another Sticky topic (who decides if it's sticky or not? - make this topic sticky if you like the idea )

I think most of us is trying to do some avatars and signatures ourselves. So the idea is that we'll share here our artworks so that everybody can use it on this board or another... giving credit for the person who made a graphic.

these avatars are too big for nessaholics board, however, you can use it on other boards... we can promote Vanessa this way.

Those avatars are not too big for this board, check the av regulations in your profile.  And the idea of sharing ur artwork is included in the other sticky thread, you can also use any other persons artwork on a board if you just ask them(speaking for myself obviously but im sure the rest would agree).

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 05:52:58 am »
these avatars are too big for nessaholics board

Quote from: "Scotty"
Those avatars are not too big for this board

Actually the size restriction used to be 80 x 80 but was increased to 100 x 100  :D

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 06:02:54 am »

Those avatars are not too big for this board, check the av regulations in your profile.  And the idea of sharing ur artwork is included in the other sticky thread, you can also use any other persons artwork on a board if you just ask them(speaking for myself obviously but im sure the rest would agree).

I disagree :twisted:
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

Scotty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 06:13:26 am »
Quote from: "NESSAussie"
these avatars are too big for nessaholics board

Those avatars are not too big for this board

Actually the size restriction used to be 80 x 80 but was increased to 100 x 100  :D

Yes I know, that was my point.

Quote from: "amberbeads"

so if you made a Vanessa sig, and someone asked you if they could use it on another board to promote Vanessa you would say no?

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 06:25:36 am »
giving credit for the person who made a graphic.

Authoring like the emblem I use in the sigs I make could be used here more :idea:

Dora

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessa-carlton.org
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 06:40:25 am »
i really think they should make the banner size larger, I have a hard time fitting mine in that size...especially because I have a high resolution widescreen :D  I respect people who don't have that but as long as the banner doesnt distort anything I think it could be at least 500 pixels wide or something.

Scotty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 07:03:33 am »
Quote from: "Dora"
i really think they should make the banner size larger, I have a hard time fitting mine in that size...especially because I have a high resolution widescreen :D  I respect people who don't have that but as long as the banner doesnt distort anything I think it could be at least 500 pixels wide or something.

we've been through this Dora, I think 500x200 would be good. Im glad Icons were increased from 80x80 to 100x100.

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 08:30:37 am »
Quote from: "amberbeads"

so if you made a Vanessa sig, and someone asked you if they could use it on another board to promote Vanessa you would say no?

Hence the use of the "twisted" face... I was just being stupid/difficult. Of course I would let them. The more promo the better :)
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 08:31:16 am »
Quote from: "Dora"

I agree, I have to keep my resolution at 1440x900 because my screen is so big... 400x120 is TINY :?
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 10:19:25 am »
Well, the sig size limit is in place for two reasons.

1) Did you ever see the old Meech o-board? Some people had sigs that took up several pages. We wanted to prevent that here.
2) We want to keep the pages somewhat fast loading. True, you can make a 400x120 sig that is 1 MB (in which case, the staff would probably politely ask you to change it anyway). But... chances are, smaller sigs will be smaller.

The total transfer needed to load this thread before I posted was nearly half a megabyte (if I don't have everything cached already). As it is, bandwidth consumption is excessive.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Scotty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 10:59:24 am »
Quote from: "Will"

1) Did you ever see the old Meech o-board? Some people had sigs that took up several pages. We wanted to prevent that here.
2) We want to keep the pages somewhat fast loading. True, you can make a 400x120 sig that is 1 MB (in which case, the staff would probably politely ask you to change it anyway). But... chances are, smaller sigs will be smaller.

The total transfer needed to load this thread before I posted was nearly half a megabyte (if I don't have everything cached already). As it is, bandwidth consumption is excessive.

yeah we agree there should be a limit, but all we are saying is extending the limit by a couple of pixels isnt gonna change ur viewing by a factor that would annoy you.

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

amberbeads

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 11:16:33 am »
Quote from: "Will"

The old Meech board was overrun with idiots who weren't subject to any moderation.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

Dora

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vanessa-carlton.org
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 11:24:28 am »
It's too bad that bandwdith has to be expensive.  I understand that fully since I have my own spaces and know the costs  :lol:   But if you can't afford to have your members have a few extra 100 pixels in their siggies then ouch, I dunno, I mean...Vanessa isn't too popular right now but what if she was?  The board would go over in bandwdith.  I just try to stay prepared and have lots of extra just in case.  But again, I know its really expensive, I have a forum thats just as big ;)

Scotty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 12:35:08 pm »
I am personally not bothered, sure it would be nice to have but i havent dropped down dead from not having it.

Unoriginal Dum-Dums