Author Topic: My Vanessa Record Arrived!  (Read 19849 times)

morningsting

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - morningsting
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - morningsting3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/morningsting
    • Email
Re: My Vanessa Record Arrived!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 02:50:07 pm »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
I finally have it! :D My "White Houses" 12-inch single came in the mail today! :D Looky, looky:

Notice the anticipated release date which, of course, got pushed back again.

It sounds beautiful! :D

See more pictures here.

In the U.S., you can still order it here, but take note that stock is low.  In the U.K., you can get it here.

I KNEW IT!!!
I remember I was so excited to know it came out 19 Octobre,
But then it wasn't out.
Then I found out it had been pushed back.
Boy did that like,
Not make my day.
=\
Anyhow.
That's an awesome looking record.

I feel like a shadow walking behind who you think I am...
don't feed me lines about some idealistic future

Si_duffers!

• MSN Messenger - Simon_duffers@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
My Vanessa Record Arrived!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 02:58:44 pm »
Quote from: "VaderDawsn"
Vanessa's back...in POG form!

(vague Simpsons reference)

I got that... right away... *stops watching cartoons so much!*
You say we're too young but maybe you're too old to remember...

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 03:21:33 pm »
Quote from: "Si_duffers!"
Quote from: "VaderDawsn"
Vanessa's back...in POG form!

(vague Simpsons reference)

I got that... right away... *stops watching cartoons so much!*

No! More asbestos,! more asbestos!..I mean more cartoons!  There's nothing wrong with "animated shows"  8)
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 07:01:27 am »
Quote from: "Will"
Look everybody- Vinyl's are better! Ask you dad! Seriously though you'd rather listen to Sgt. Peppers on vinyl than c.d and it just gives a different feel listening to it on a record and it can't be beat!

It's nostalga. People have been listening to that music in that format far longer than they have been listening to it in a digital format. They like the harmonic distortion and such present in the older equipment and formats. I can understand people wanting to listen to older stuff on vinyl. It's part of the sound. Just don't claim that vinyl is technically superior to modern digital stuff, because it 'aint.

What got me in this thread is that Vanessa's stuff has been recorded and mastered in digital. The target format is CD. Any vinyl release will be of lower quality than the original CD. If I want all the distortion and noise, I have effects processors I can use to recreate that. *yawn*. Vinyl releases of newer stuff are wastes of money, unless you scratch.

With the exception of the White Stripes, perhaps among others.  Jack White insists on analog recording and editing, using no equipment manufactured after the '60s.  Therefore, White Stripes records should be the real deal and a White Stripes CD is just a digitized copy.

But I think I can conclude this by stating that it's a 20-year-old argument that has yet to be resolved, and probably won't be in the near future.  My sources tell me that vinyl sales are actually making a modest increase, so whatever the reason, there are still several people who like it.
Dustin

ScottishKevin

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - ScottishKevin@msn.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Welcome_To_My_Truth
    • View Profile
    • http://fan-sites.org/kelly
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 05:40:13 am »
This is an interesting discussion. However, does it really matter who prefers what? Maybe one person prefers vinyl due to their own personal reasons, whilst others prefer digital due to theirs. We can't change people's opinions by our own, we can just express them. I can sense an argument starting over this topic!

Sorry for being so dry! Lol, I just don't want people to fight!
"When We Call Someone A "Monster", We Don't Really Know Anything About Them And Categorize Them As A Completely Different 'Species'"

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2005, 05:52:34 am »
I understand that perfectly, and I raise my glass to you!  (Just kidding, I don't have a glass, especially as it's not but 8:46 in the morning. :wink: )

But these differences of opinion are certainly not the same as someone saying, "I can't stand Vanessa, I think she dresses weird and her voice just makes my eyeballs wanna rattle loose!  And that song gets on my nerves!  It plays all the time and it's so blah blah blah..." ??  It's okay to try to change their opinion? 8)
Dustin

morningsting

• AOL Instant Messenger - morningsting
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - morningsting3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/morningsting
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 02:00:47 pm »
I understand that perfectly, and I raise my glass to you!  (Just kidding, I don't have a glass, especially as it's not but 8:46 in the morning. :wink: )

But these differences of opinion are certainly not the same as someone saying, "I can't stand Vanessa, I think she dresses weird and her voice just makes my eyeballs wanna rattle loose!  And that song gets on my nerves!  It plays all the time and it's so blah blah blah..." ??  It's okay to try to change their opinion? 8)

Maybe.
I always get quite annoyed when people are constantly trying to get me to believe what they do.
I say
You try once or twice,
And then give up.
Cause you'll just end up pissing someone off.

I feel like a shadow walking behind who you think I am...
don't feed me lines about some idealistic future

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2005, 05:45:19 pm »
Quote from: "Will"
Look everybody- Vinyl's are better! Ask you dad! Seriously though you'd rather listen to Sgt. Peppers on vinyl than c.d and it just gives a different feel listening to it on a record and it can't be beat!

It's nostalga. People have been listening to that music in that format far longer than they have been listening to it in a digital format. They like the harmonic distortion and such present in the older equipment and formats. I can understand people wanting to listen to older stuff on vinyl. It's part of the sound. Just don't claim that vinyl is technically superior to modern digital stuff, because it 'aint.

What got me in this thread is that Vanessa's stuff has been recorded and mastered in digital. The target format is CD. Any vinyl release will be of lower quality than the original CD. If I want all the distortion and noise, I have effects processors I can use to recreate that. *yawn*. Vinyl releases of newer stuff are wastes of money, unless you scratch.

I don't even know where to begin!  Ha Ha!  ANY recording introduces a coloration of sound, and sound is so objective.  I have lived through the digital revolution long enough to know that vinyl, CD's, DVD-Audio's, DAT's, SACD's, etc. are limited by the quality of what goes in(i.e. garbage in, garbage out) and what can really make or break an album's sound is the MASTERING.  So many albums these days are compressed all to hell(ex. listen to Private Radio, omg is it over EQ'd or what?) in something called by some industry types as "the loudness wars".  Nuff said about that.

How can a statement be made like "any vinyl release will be lower quality than the original CD"?  How many A/B comparisons have actually been made?  I'm willing to bet not too many.  To have a preference is one's right; to generalize just shows a lack of knowledge.

Don't be so sure VC's tracks are all digital.  And if you listen to a track like "C'est La Vie", you'll hear the sound of either analog tape or a REAL noisy mic pre.  That sure wasn't cut on Pro Tools HD.

To be sure, there are bad recordings, both analog and digital.  I happen to still like vinyl, though ALL formats irk me.  Sure, the pops, clicks, and inner groove distortion pee me off, but there is still a musical thing happening there.  I've recorded directly into Pro Tools, and it just stinks on ice.  I don't exactly know why. My Panasonic DAT just blows it away.

It's been said that digital is only slices of an analog signal, and everything must end up analog anyway, till someone can figure out how to get ones and zeros to come out of one's speakers.  Who knows?  Just enjoy the MUSIC.  And I'm all over that Vanessa vinyl!

Peace,
Dan/NS

zurielshimon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 06:38:33 am »
I can make ones and zeros come out of my speakers, especially when I turn the modem on loud. 8) The only way digital is going to become the superior way to go is if we get rid of sampling and instead make digital music what it's supposed to be:  A series of algorithms defining every nuance in a complex sine wave, such as recorded sound.  That's what analog recording does, and it's what digital should do, only better.  Analog recordings are subject to distortion because they are nothing more than a mechanically scaled-down resemblance of the sound events that are captured.  Sampled digital recordings, to put it simply, are just a series of numbers that tell at what position the microphone's diaphragm was at at each certain point of time a sample was taken.  This results in a stair-step wave that can, at best, be converted to a line-and-point graph resembling a sine wave (but no more than an equilateral polygon with 44,100 sides can resemble a true circle).  If sound is recorded as I described, what we have is a set series of wave nuances that is digitally represented, therefore immune to the distortion that can be created in duplication, yet the resulting interpretation is a that of a true sine wave, free of the impurities of sampling.
Dustin

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 08:37:01 am »
I can make ones and zeros come out of my speakers, especially when I turn the modem on loud. 8)

No.... you're hearing a broadband representation of a baseband signal. It's not the same thing.

Sampled digital recordings, to put it simply, are just a series of numbers that tell at what position the microphone's diaphragm was at at each certain point of time a sample was taken.  This results in a stair-step wave that can, at best, be converted to a line-and-point graph resembling a sine wave (but no more than an equilateral polygon with 44,100 sides can resemble a true circle).

You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Nyquist-Shannon tells me that with sufficient sample size (16 bit provides a 110 dB dynamic range at best, vinyl will be 60 dB best case), I can reconstruct the original signal perfectly from the sampled version if the sampling rate is twice that of the bandwidth of the signal.

Also, apparently you've never heard of a Delta-Sigma DAC. A stair-step wave would introduce harmonics into the recording that weren't there to begin with. That was a problem with early CD players that didn't use DS DACs. It hasn't been an issue, however, for twenty years.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 09:27:09 am »
I'm pretty sure that everyone here that has posted knows more than the average person about sound(I'm actually very impressed that this is on a Vanessa site!).

Personally, although I have a cursory knowledge of some of the theory put forth, I can admit that sometimes, even with what I know about resistance, bandwidth, word length, differential linearity of D/A converters, clock jitter, Reed-Solomon error correction, bias current, and magnetism, I STILL don't know for certain why something sounds like sh**.

Dan/NS

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 09:28:40 am »
Quote from: "nosticker"
I'm pretty sure that everyone here that has posted knows more than the average person about sound(I'm actually very impressed that this is on a Vanessa site!)

i'm tone deaf.  :mrgreen:

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 12:17:11 pm »
Quote from: "BWilli"
I'm pretty sure that everyone here that has posted knows more than the average person about sound(I'm actually very impressed that this is on a Vanessa site!)

Everyone except Brian.

Dan/NS

goddess

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2005, 02:51:56 pm »
that is soooo awesome!!! :D
la la la song

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 10:10:13 am »
Quote from: "BWilli"

Everyone except Brian.

Dan/NS

good...glad we cleared that up.   :D