Author Topic: V's most difficult song on piano?  (Read 20090 times)

VanessaPiana

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
V's most difficult song on piano?
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2005, 03:13:46 pm »
Quote from: "Pyro"
Today I went to a nearby university and I got to play a grand piano for hours! It was so great. And I think my technique has improved because my arms didn't get tired. Now, all I need is to be able to play more songs. lol

well, that's what i've been doing since May of last year, after someone told me where the college music building was. i play the grands most of the time, b/c they have a better, robust sound than the uprights. [nothing against them.] i started playing fast stuff only 3 months ago.

NolitaFairytale

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2006, 06:36:21 am »
Hi,
Use have all said that Papa is the hardest. I am learning to play it but I only have 1 sheet. Can somebody pleaseeeee send me the full version of Papa. I will be so grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jon.

phu

• View Profile

bluebutterfly

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2006, 10:59:03 pm »
Quote from: "VanessaPiana"
Quote from: "Pyro"
Today I went to a nearby university and I got to play a grand piano for hours! It was so great. And I think my technique has improved because my arms didn't get tired. Now, all I need is to be able to play more songs. lol

well, that's what i've been doing since May of last year, after someone told me where the college music building was. i play the grands most of the time, b/c they have a better, robust sound than the uprights. [nothing against them.] i started playing fast stuff only 3 months ago.

grands have a heavier action than uprights, and are therefore harder to play because they cause more strain on your hands if you're not used to it.

Sharona PianoBea

• View Profile
    • PianoBea Music
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2006, 08:59:46 am »
Well.. the thing is, if you are like her and have been classically trained for 10-20 years, you won't find ANYTHING she plays difficult. Go and learn and bunch of classical music, and this stuff will just fall under your fingers!

Learn the greats! Learn Chopin, Debussy, Mozart, Beethoven...

:D  :razz:

=Baronessa/PianoBea
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams."

www.pianobea.com
www.yoursharona.com

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2006, 03:52:43 pm »
I have to say that my technique and skills have improved since I last posted in this thread. I've also learned a few more songs on the piano. To challenge myself more, I learned part of Alicia Keys' 'Harlem's Nocturne', which is a classical piece somewhat, on the piano. I only learned in a few days.

Anyway, the hardest Vanessa songs to play so far is Who's To Say [the piano rhythm and riffs were so tricky that it took several months to figure the song out] and Papa. I printed out only the first page of WTS and learned the rest by ear. I only printed out the first 2 pages of Papa and learned the rest by ear. On most of V's songs I don't play the songs exactly like she plays them; I add my own flavor to them. i.e., I created a jazzy rendition of 'Red Ditty'.

bluebutterfly

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/jesster22
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2006, 06:35:11 pm »
Quote from: "Baronessa"
Well.. the thing is, if you are like her and have been classically trained for 10-20 years, you won't find ANYTHING she plays difficult. Go and learn and bunch of classical music, and this stuff will just fall under your fingers!

DITTO

Quote from: "VanessaPiana"

Anyway, the hardest Vanessa songs to play so far is Who's To Say [the piano rhythm and riffs were so tricky that it took several months to figure the song out] and Papa. I printed out only the first page of WTS and learned the rest by ear. I only printed out the first 2 pages of Papa and learned the rest by ear. On most of V's songs I don't play the songs exactly like she plays them; I add my own flavor to them. i.e., I created a jazzy rendition of 'Red Ditty'.
learn some scales and who's to say becomes a piece of cake  :)

shinessobright

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - shinessobright
    • AOL Instant Messenger - privateradiogirl
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - canyouseemyfirerain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2006, 02:29:10 pm »
i still can't believe someone would write a piece of music they can't even play themselves...

hopefully she is working at it  (and not throwing shit around cause she is frustrated)

i really really really really want to hear blue ditty...
And all the constellations shine down on you and me... and if you don't believe me, just put your hands on me...

"This is a song about relationships that are condemned either by your family, or by the government..." Vanessa Carlton about Who's to Say

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2006, 06:38:24 am »
she can probably play "blue ditty". she's been playing piano for over 20 years. she plays the classical stuff, which i'm sure is a lot harder then "blue ditty" :roll:

samil87

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
nobody's mentioned....
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2006, 03:23:25 pm »
I know the last post on this was months ago but I just found it lol. Hardest Vanessa song to play is probably, imo, Annie.
The second verse of Wanted took me ages to get, and I still screw it up most of the time :|
Papa is difficult too (lol maybe I'm just really bad), I'm okay it at now but I still usually play the ascending part after the verse twice for some reason and can't move up and down octaves quick enough :oops:
White Houses (not the song book version, I think the version she plays live is better) is quite easy to play and a lot of fun but hurts my wrists if I play it more than once :roll: .

Martin.

• View Profile
Re: nobody's mentioned....
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2006, 06:46:27 pm »
Quote from: "samil87"
I know the last post on this was months ago but I just found it lol. Hardest Vanessa song to play is probably, imo, Annie.
The second verse of Wanted took me ages to get, and I still screw it up most of the time :|
Papa is difficult too (lol maybe I'm just really bad), I'm okay it at now but I still usually play the ascending part after the verse twice for some reason and can't move up and down octaves quick enough :oops:
White Houses (not the song book version, I think the version she plays live is better) is quite easy to play and a lot of fun but hurts my wrists if I play it more than once :roll: .

"annie" is ok for me.

i remember "san francisco" KILLING my hands. they would ache half way through the song.

i can't play the second verse of "wanted". it's too complicated. i just play it how it is on the first one lol...

"papa" i thought was gonna be hard, but it's not so bad once you get your fingers used to it.

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2006, 11:08:50 pm »
that picture... ^^^ for your avatar is from the video that I pored over endlessly and eventually learned her version of white houses from it. does anybody have a link to that vid? it must have been a couple years ago that I saw it...

samil87

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2006, 08:40:40 am »
Don't have a link to it but I think I saw it on Youtube if that helps :D

Martin.

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2006, 01:07:48 pm »
i uploaded the video on youtube somewhere :)

me and my piano---tim

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2006, 02:43:13 pm »
Ah! Youtube!! How do I always forget that place exists? oh wait... now i remember why i forget.  :razz: Thanks