Welsh
2 (6.1%)
British (England)
16 (48.5%)
Irish
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: August 13, 2006, 06:45:13 am

Author Topic: What's your favourite English accent???  (Read 15614 times)

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
What's your favourite English accent???
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 01:56:52 pm »
Quote from: "abbottANDcostello"
Quote from: "Jessica"
I like the NY accent, but there are other American accents that I hate (like the valley girl accent),

ITS NOT AN ACCENT.

then please enlighten me as to what I'm not getting...seriously though, I'm actually not just trying to sound like a dick in this particular case. :lol:

girls, from the valley, like me, may say "like" way too much without noticing (we can't help it, really!) but substituting a word in a sentence doesn't change the way you speak the other words, therefore it isn't an accent.

i highly doubt that if i were to go to boston or something, and someone heard me speak, they would say, THAT GIRL IS FROM LOS ANGELES!
wheras, if a person from boston came here and said "park the car in the harvard yard" i could most likely tell that the person was from boston.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 02:10:04 pm »
I like the NY accent, but there are other American accents that I hate (like the valley girl accent),

ITS NOT AN ACCENT.

then please enlighten me as to what I'm not getting...seriously though, I'm actually not just trying to sound like a dick in this particular case. :lol:

girls, from the valley, like me, may say "like" way too much without noticing (we can't help it, really!) but substituting a word in a sentence doesn't change the way you speak the other words, therefore it isn't an accent.

i highly doubt that if i were to go to boston or something, and someone heard me speak, they would say, THAT GIRL IS FROM LOS ANGELES!
wheras, if a person from boston came here and said "park the car in the harvard yard" i could most likely tell that the person was from boston.

I wasn't talking about using the word "like" or anything like that.  I can hear a definate accent in people from LA.  The only example I can think of off the top of my head is from the episode of The Sopranos where Alicia Witt plays a girl in the movie industry (who is from that area) and she uses a very distinct accent.

Jessica

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • holly golightly meets vampira goth
    • AOL Instant Messenger - strongxlikemusic
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/jessicacordero
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 11:07:06 pm »

ITS NOT AN ACCENT.

I wasn't talking about using the word "like" or anything like that.  I can hear a definate accent in people from LA.  The only example I can think of off the top of my head is from the episode of The Sopranos where Alicia Witt plays a girl in the movie industry (who is from that area) and she uses a very distinct accent.

movies/tv tend to try to exaggerate things... like the australians..
don't expect to come to LA and hear people speaking like alicia silverstone in clueless
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy"
-Ludwig van Beethoven

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2006, 08:59:24 am »

movies/tv tend to try to exaggerate things... like the australians..
don't expect to come to LA and hear people speaking like alicia silverstone in clueless

I understand that, but The Sopranos isn't a comedy perpetuating the stereotype of a bimbo for laughs. :lol:

Every part of the country has their own accent.  Saying Cal folks don't have one doesn't make any sense.  They don't sound like southerners, they don't sound like New Englanders, they don't sound like Midwesterners...they sound unique to all that...they sound like people from California.  All I'm saying is that, in most cases, I don't think it's impossible to tell by accent alone that someone is from the West Coast.

jlmusicchick

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2006, 02:37:35 pm »
British accent by far, closely followed by Australian. And I get to be surrounded by Brits for 4 months! :-D

As for an American accent...I would definitely put it in to regions. Even in states there are different accents! For instance, if you go up to the northern part of New York by the Canadian border, there is a definite Canadian influence in their accents. But if you go down to the City/Long Island area, they have a distinct accent as well.

Jon Curse

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2006, 12:28:52 pm »
Why is England even in there... English (i.e. the British one) accents suck. Especially mine. Gunna opt with Welsh.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 11:59:44 am »
It's not park the car in the harvard yard, it's Pak the cah in the hahvad yahd =P Or something like that, they don't pronounce R's.

I think it's odd that some of you think that the NYC accent is the most indicitive of Americans because it actually is only a small sector of the states. If you watch American TV shows there is an obvious neutral American accent that most people tend to have, maybe with some slight variation.

I'm told I have a slight southern accent (from Maryland). My mom and dad say "Sundy and Mundy" instead of "MondDAY" if the word is at the end of a sentence, and my mom says "warsh" for wash. My dad says "woosh" for wash. And I say "wahsh" for wash (which is, i believe, the correct pronunciation).

I really dislike when people say "melk" for milk, "wooter" or "wuter" for water, and "pellow" for pillow!! Not really, but it's a little pet peeve =D

TheCarltonCrew1213

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2006, 05:09:56 pm »
I pick Canadian because I am Canadian!!!
We Crossed The Deepest Oceans
Cargo Across The Sea
And If You Don't Believe Me
Just Put Your Hands on Me

Promiscious-boy

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - Barmy-For-Music@hotmail.co.uk
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Perfectlyin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2006, 10:20:50 pm »
Is it true that Canadians speak hmmmm. let me.. very hard, very strong.. e.g

I know that canadian english is smiliar to american
I knowr thart canadian english irs smiliar to american

Better - Bettteeeerrrr
Never - Nevvvveeerrrrr

Is that a true info?
But I still prefer british

Nevah, lást, pást, betta, for evah... cãn't

I love this Aussiebrit... 50% from Australia, and 50% from United Kingdom

GuitarHead27

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 05:43:50 pm »
i like how people talk in Hawaii...i don't know exactly how it sounds, i didn't even realize we had accents, until one of my teachers from the mainland pointed it out to us...we thought he was the one with the accent...lol...so i guess that's American.

davidjp

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • MSN Messenger - hon8888@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2006, 05:16:40 am »
i had no idea that there were so many american accents, i knew of the "typical" accent and the southern accent.

i voted for the american accent. i had boyfriend from america, i would become infatuated everytime he opened his mouth to say something. it's so hot!
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 04:39:21 am »
I voted for Welsh, becase of all the groups listed, its probably the one I'd
most like to be able to immitate. I don't have much of an accent myself; I
was born in New Zealand to a Canadian Mother & Bermudian Father, and
have spent most of my time learning 'English' in Australia. If I was to vote
for my favorite 'Southern Hemisphere' English accent it'd be South African