Author Topic: The marketing guys at Nintendo are on crack  (Read 26461 times)

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
The marketing guys at Nintendo are on crack
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 12:40:27 pm »
please dont prejudge the controller untill you fully understand what it can do, and you actually have the opportunity to experience its greatness.

also, yes, if you refuse to buy it simply because of its name, then you're just going to be missing out. the system is amazing in so many ways, and wont cost you $500 (coughps3cough) :wink:

Wii is a short and simple name that is easy to advertise, and easy to get familiar with.
a very smart decision for Nintendo.
getting loads of publicity with a not-so-normal name is a great way to advertise, and spread information about all of Nintendo Wii's features, which will hopefully expand the variety of people who play video games, which is what Nintendo is aiming for with the Wii... a controller thats easy to use, and looks easy on the eye, something that can easily become a normal household appliance... Backward compatibility and a HUGE Virtual Console concept including many, many games from NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, and even Turbo Grafx 16 (yes, this is true :!: )... Bringing in more hardcore gamers with more online play(thus the 2 i's in Wii, for 2 people, togetherness, online play, bringing everyone to gaming instead of just the gamers), and a controller that controls better than PC games, and any other console ever before(you people gotta read more about the controller to understand it, dont just say its dumb because of the way it looks)

Nintendo is trying something outragous, and I LOVE them for it!

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 01:40:07 pm »
Quote from: "KULPDOGG"
Wii is a short and simple name that is easy to advertise, and easy to get familiar with.
a very smart decision for Nintendo.

Except for the fact that the name sucks so much, it has received a nearly uniform negative from gamers and non-gamers alike. Some choice quotes from some people I've asked about it...

A 19 year old non-gamer female from the SF Bay Area...
Quote from: "Jennifer"
that's dumb...
well i guess random is a better word
i dont even like the name though
its not appealing at all
whomever came up with the name should get fired haha

A 19 year old female non-gamer originally from the Santa Barbara area...
Quote from: "Kristin"
Nintendo Penis would be better. At least they'd be upfront with us and spare us all the double entendre.

An 18 year old male casual gamer originally from the LA area...
Quote from: "Brian"
What the fuck?! That name is gay. I think that's the most gay name I've ever heard. HA HA! I love this line. "Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other." In touch with each other's penises is more like it!

NOBODY... and I mean NOBODY I've talked to likes the name, gamer or not.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 02:06:52 am »
Quote from: "Will"
NOBODY... and I mean NOBODY I've talked to likes the name, gamer or not.

They'll get used to it.
Were Playstation and XBox good names? NO, they don't mean anything! But we got used to them.
Same goes with the iPod.
It's all about marketing! I have faith in Big N! ;)
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 05:59:01 am »
Got you talking though didn't it!? EH!?
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2006, 08:07:31 am »
Quote from: "Ghisy"
Were Playstation and XBox good names? NO, they don't mean anything! But we got used to them.
Same goes with the iPod.

I never thought those names were terrible. Playstation and iPod are good. Xbox is meh, but not terrible. In any case, Revolution was a FAR better name than Wii.

Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Got you talking though didn't it!? EH!?

The internet has been abuzz about how much this name SUCKS and how out of touch Nintendo is to attempt to push their name. The old mantra "any publicity is good publicity" only holds true for entertainers. A company? I think not.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

VaderDawsn

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 06:27:22 pm »
Hmm, bad name, cool concept... What's in a name?
-Samantha

For me it's a glance
And a smile on your face
A touch of your hands
An honest embrace - VC, Home

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 08:04:29 am »
Quote from: "Will"
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Anyone who refuses to buy this because of the name is a flaming retard.

Agreed. However, that's still no excuse for Nintendo to pick a shitty name like Wii.

Yes.  It's a terrible name..... but frankly, if you were gonna spend 300 dollars on a video game machine, you shouldn't let a stupid name disuade you.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

superscientific

• VCUBs
  • You aren't tryin'
  • Bang Bang?
    • MSN Messenger - superscientific@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superscientific
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 06:13:32 pm »
Haha Andrew!  I hate the name too but really it is all in the titles.  Nintendo will always be Nintendo in their strategy.  I mean look at the DS.  A system with much lower specs but still doing better than the PSP.
The staple titles like Mario and Zelda will always keep people coming back.  I am dissapointed that Nintendo is not supporting HD, but we will see where that goes.  Anyways I am planning to get this system along with the PS3 when it comes out as well.  I mean look at the PS3 they had to scale that down too......no one knows what these systems can do until they put them out.

Danny

"you fake like a smile...like a hug I'm tight" - Common "Hungry"
Check out Missy Higgins Music Now!
Myspace!

Ghisy

• VCUBs
  • V-Unit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ghis+V
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 09:43:24 pm »
Quote from: "superscientific"
Anyways I am planning to get this system along with the PS3 when it comes out as well.

Dude, did you see the PS3 is gonna be $600?!!!  8O
I'm so buying a Wii!!
Ghisy
The Original French NESSAholic

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 12:53:28 am »
That controller is a bag of ass. Even I know that, and I don't understand much about it and have never even seen so much as a picture of it.

The name--which is pronounced "we"--is meant to invoke the feeling of cooperation that comes when people play games together.

Pfft. Cooperation. Everyone knows that two player gaming is about who can win the friendly fire fight and get to the selfish power-up first. If that means hacking your opponent to death to get the *only* fireball launching purple dragon in the game (Golden Axe), then so be it. That's the true spirit of multi-player gaming. They should call it the Mii.

Further, Nintendo said, the written name is meant to visually conjure up the image of two people standing together.

What?! Is this thing a games console or a hippy love in? It all started with sweat instead of blood on the SNES version of Mortal Kombat, now it has come to this *shakes head*

In summary. Bring back Sega.

I believe I am winning this conversation.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 08:14:20 am »
Quote from: "kev222"

It's somewhat, one sided.

I think I may need to buy a PS3 when those hit stores though.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

KULPDOGG

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
    • http://kulpdogg.googlepages.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 12:00:55 pm »
That controller is a bag of ass. Even I know that, and I don't understand much about it and have never even seen so much as a picture of it.

The name--which is pronounced "we"--is meant to invoke the feeling of cooperation that comes when people play games together.

Pfft. Cooperation. Everyone knows that two player gaming is about who can win the friendly fire fight and get to the selfish power-up first. If that means hacking your opponent to death to get the *only* fireball launching purple dragon in the game (Golden Axe), then so be it. That's the true spirit of multi-player gaming. They should call it the Mii.

Further, Nintendo said, the written name is meant to visually conjure up the image of two people standing together.

What?! Is this thing a games console or a hippy love in? It all started with sweat instead of blood on the SNES version of Mortal Kombat, now it has come to this *shakes head*

In summary. Bring back Sega.

Sounds like somebody needs to watch Nintendo's E3 Press Conference  :D

Stream...   http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149663&autoplay=6149697

the virtual console on the Wii lets you download Genesis games, hows that for bringing back sega.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 01:24:07 am »
Quote from: "KULPDOGG"

Sounds like somebody needs to watch Nintendo's E3 Press Conference  :D

Stream...   http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149663&autoplay=6149697

the virtual console on the Wii lets you download Genesis games, hows that for bringing back sega.

While that is indeed sweet. We'll have to wait and see if they have replaced the baseball bats in Streets Of Rage III with bunches of flowers.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 01:27:14 am »

Me too. Although generally new games suck, there are bound to be a few gems. And if not it will make a nice doorstop.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 05:19:37 am »

Me too. Although generally new games suck, there are bound to be a few gems. And if not it will make a nice doorstop.

Well, the way I figure it, I will want Blu Ray ASAP.  The PS3 just makes sense for me because it's blu ray + video games for only a little bit more than I would pay for a Blu ray player alone.

So even if there aren't any games at release that excite me, it's still a blu ray player.

---Andrew