Author Topic: For all the old school nessaholic fans  (Read 56893 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
For all the old school nessaholic fans
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2007, 12:28:53 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Quote from: "tylor2000"
Quote from: "Gina"
Ohh Tylor, you're not THAT old! :wink:

haha, I'm making fun of steveau....but I am old enough to remember floppy disks being floppy in physical characteristic.  I think that is why they called them floppy.  :?   So yes, I'm that old.  :(   I never walked for seven miles in eight feet of snow though....not that I remember...I did ride my bike in 3 feet of snow for 10 miles though...does that count?  :razz:

They called them floppy because the actual media was soft material, not because the disk casing was floppy.

Before floppy disks you only had hard disks... which were solid metal disks, which is what we still use for hard disk drives or just hard drives.

Of course, this gets confusing now that we have hard drives that are RAM and don't even use spinning metal disks anymore.

I just call them diskettes, the 3½" kind anyway.  I'm sure there was a time when 5¼" was considered small, but I just can't make myself call them anything ending in "-ette".
Dustin

LimeTwister

« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2007, 06:57:03 pm »

haha, I'm making fun of steveau....but I am old enough to remember floppy disks being floppy in physical characteristic.  I think that is why they called them floppy.  :?   So yes, I'm that old.  :(   I never walked for seven miles in eight feet of snow though....not that I remember...I did ride my bike in 3 feet of snow for 10 miles though...does that count?  :razz:

They called them floppy because the actual media was soft material, not because the disk casing was floppy.

Before floppy disks you only had hard disks... which were solid metal disks, which is what we still use for hard disk drives or just hard drives.

Of course, this gets confusing now that we have hard drives that are RAM and don't even use spinning metal disks anymore.

There were, at one time, actual floppy disks...that were floppy. They were like 5.25 inch.

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2007, 06:59:11 pm »
It's just so insane to me that I was 16 when I started talking to all you guys, and here I am 21... so much has changed, but yet here I am, still talking to you all.  It's one of the only things that's still around in my life now that was when I was 16.  Haha.  Just crazy.  All because of V.

Word. When I think about how young we all were it blows me away, haha.

Quote from: "LostDwarf"
remember

NESSAJedi  

hahahha

Word. We used to post whore and bump away at threads to gain ranks.  :razz:
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2007, 07:03:10 pm »

Yes, you are right.  I think though they made the outer case 'floppy' on purpose.  I remember being 8 years old and having several 8" floppy disks.  I could tell you several explanations of why they were made the way they were, but I think it would be the stuff urban legends are made of.

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2007, 10:29:42 pm »
lol i remember the post wh0ring threads, those were fun!

& damn, cant believe this thread is still going..didn't expect to get over 150 replies  8O

B

• Captain Awesome
  • Moderators
  • Just looking for some affection
  • Transcending the Possimpible
    • View Profile
    • Nh.com Twitter Page!
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2007, 11:28:37 pm »
Quote from: "Laura"

& damn, cant believe this thread is still going..didn't expect to get over 150 replies  8O

Don't call out the OG triple OG's and expect them to not come out of the woodwork.

That's how we roll.  8)
For all you broken hearted lovers lost, go find another one. 'Cause you know time won't wait and you'll be late, white rabbits on the run...

moviemaker248

• Make me high on lullabies
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chwilbur
    • View Profile
    • http://www.areyouert.com
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2007, 07:02:25 am »
Quote from: "B"
Quote from: "Laura"

Don't call out the OG triple OG's and expect them to not come out of the woodwork.

That's how we roll.  8)

Fo' Sho'......izzle.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2007, 07:19:28 am »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"

There were, at one time, actual floppy disks...that were floppy. They were like 5.25 inch.

Yes, Joey.  I am aware of that.  But I am explaining that the reason they were called floppy isn't because the case was floppy.  It was because the media was floppy.

Which is why the 3 1/4 were still called floppy.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2007, 08:29:23 am »
I thought it was because floppy is a cute word and cute words stick :)

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2007, 08:41:24 am »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"

Yes, Joey.  I am aware of that.  But I am explaining that the reason they were called floppy isn't because the case was floppy.  It was because the media was floppy.

Which is why the 3 1/4 were still called floppy.

I remember breaking open 5.25 floppies and they were made with a superior form of magnetic tape but instead of being wound up in a spool like in a cassette tape, where you had to fast forward and rewind to get to where you wanted, it was in the disk format so you could access data on any part of the tape you wanted very easily with just a short spin.  I actually had used cassette tapes on my Commodore Vic 20 for that and it was a pain in the arse.  It slowed things down alot.  You had to sit there and wait for your computer to spin the cassette tape for so many minutes to find the info needed.

tricia

• Moderators
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2007, 09:05:50 am »
NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you underestimate the level of my sneakiness

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2007, 09:09:06 am »
Quote from: "B"
It's just so insane to me that I was 16 when I started talking to all you guys, and here I am 21... so much has changed, but yet here I am, still talking to you all.  It's one of the only things that's still around in my life now that was when I was 16.  Haha.  Just crazy.  All because of V.

Word. When I think about how young we all were it blows me away, haha.

I was so lame back then... well maybe I still am, but thankfully I've grown up a bit, haha.  I look back at things that I used to post and am embarrassed :razz:  It's just crazy to look at everyone now, people getting married, graduating from college, the young ones starting college now...  Alright, no more being sentimental haha.
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2007, 09:11:55 am »
haha i remember when Gina was like a sophmore in hs =P
.........the one and only!

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2007, 09:13:23 am »
And now I'm a senior in college.
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2007, 10:44:38 am »
Quote from: "tricia"
NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you live in texas, darlin.  Bwahahaha