Author Topic: disappointed?  (Read 26325 times)

alison

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yaay+its+a
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:43:26 am »
i have been a vc fan for a very long time...be not nobody was one of the first albums i ever owned.
i saw her live at the roxy earlier this year and i don't know when i was more excited for an album.
i must say i am thoroughly disappointed in heroes & thieves.

vanessa's performance at the roxy was epic...just her and her piano, and you could really feel the emotion and the beauty of the songs.

this album is totally pop synthesized.
i had an amazing live performance of hands on me that i loved, but on the album i feel like shes playing with a metronome. one of the most brilliant things about her work was her ability to switch tempo.

fools like me has by far the best lyrics of any song...especially the last 3 lines which i am obsessed with. but the instrumentals are completely overwhelming and take over the rest of the song.
i just don't understand why sooo many songs fail to have the piano as the lead instrument...i do not like vanessa because of her voice..i like her songwriting/pianoplaying/singing combo.

i just feel completely blindsighted...what artist does entirely acoustic live performances when their album is pop?

its frusterating that this album had 5 star potential and its only like a 3, MAYBE a 3.5

**Ann-Marie89**

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - buttaflikat@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/NZannmarie89
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 03:28:43 am »
Hmmm well its interesting that now the truth starts to come out.... I said this under the ratings of the album post. I agree with you, it's commercial.
But you know, Nessa has obviously chosen commercial success over musical genuis! lol

Listen to it like 20 times, and you will start to like more of the songs. I was really annoyed originally- I felt cheated.

I agree with you though- songs like FLM and HOM could have been 5 stars, instead all the other instruments dominate. I wish there was more piano!
But hopefully nessa will get her wish and the album will be wonderfully successful. Then maybe after that we will go back to real good ol' Nessa music :)

In the mean time, enjoy what we have been given. The Cd is still good, despite its flaws, and the lyrics are definitely a development from previous. (although sections can be a tad tacky in some points)
It's interesting not many others have posted here- I would have thought this would have been a hot discussion topic.

Best Album would probably be BNNB, because of its Purity.

Katherine Ann Marie xox
**Ann-Marie like a mirror of what you wanna be**

*Tutorials* and Nessa Song Demonstrations of Accurate Transcriptions from Me, Myself and I, as well as Pianobea, Blueglove and Maag (mentioned on each song where applicable) on Youtube! Yay!! (Go See! ^_^)

http://www.youtube.com/NZannmarie89

Butz

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 03:49:21 am »
It's a mix of both though, it's commercial yet personal imo.

emil0ca

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • MSN Messenger - emil0ca@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://devoted.to/cardinalbabes
disappointed?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:37:15 am »
I think the SONGS as a whole are fantastic. I agree that the production on some is grating. But as weird as it sounds (and as overdone as it seems to be said) listening to the album a couple of times through can really make you fall in love with it.

Even songs whose productions I was not a particular fan of have made it into my heart because of little things in them. Hands on Me, Fools Like Me, and even This Time all sound just right like this. I slightly prefer the latter two live, but I don't know... something about this album evolves.

Journey_to

• View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 05:00:32 am »
Personally, I'm really happy with the album...the songs are well written ,music was good and the vocals were spectacular..and i really dont think it was over produced......her vocals werent touched for one thing and the only bits that might seem overproduced  may have only seemed so because of the backup vocals and stuff like the chorus of hands on me....but when i really do think about it, it isnt overproduced.....
I agree with what someone else said, BNN was overproduced at points.......HAT isnt, or doesnt show such amounts...
I'm not really sure if it's commercial...just compare it to everything else out there and it seems to resemble alot of the indie stuff than the mainstream.......

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:32:13 am »
My response

1. where the hell have you been for the past 5 years? you should have been on here!  :D
2. each album is a progression of the last
3. this album shows more maturity in vanessa than in previous albums, there's also more complex arrangements and it's a lot more into than bnn. BNN had simple arrangements where you could i dentify each instrument and a given point. H & T challenges that and is wickedly awesome! I just feel that H & T is more complete than previous albums.

mike
.........the one and only!

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Re: disappointed?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:02:53 am »
Quote from: "alison"
i have been a vc fan for a very long time...be not nobody was one of the first albums i ever owned.
i saw her live at the roxy earlier this year and i don't know when i was more excited for an album.
i must say i am thoroughly disappointed in heroes & thieves.

vanessa's performance at the roxy was epic...just her and her piano, and you could really feel the emotion and the beauty of the songs.

this album is totally pop synthesized.
i had an amazing live performance of hands on me that i loved, but on the album i feel like shes playing with a metronome. one of the most brilliant things about her work was her ability to switch tempo.

fools like me has by far the best lyrics of any song...especially the last 3 lines which i am obsessed with. but the instrumentals are completely overwhelming and take over the rest of the song.
i just don't understand why sooo many songs fail to have the piano as the lead instrument...i do not like vanessa because of her voice..i like her songwriting/pianoplaying/singing combo.

i just feel completely blindsighted...what artist does entirely acoustic live performances when their album is pop?

its frusterating that this album had 5 star potential and its only like a 3, MAYBE a 3.5

3.5 out of 5 isn't bad!  (btw, you don't think that BNN is mega-pop production?)

Sounds like you got used to hearing the new songs as bare-bones productions, with just piano and vocals.  Might be nice to hear live, but we're talking about an album here.  A live performance goes right past your face; an album is a living, breathing document that must be approached as an entirely different animal, especially from a production standpoint.  There is SO MUCH to be considered when making an album
that I can't begin to go into it here.

I'll admit that hearing drums on C'est La Vie initially threw me for a loop back in '04.  After I gave it further listens, it made perfect sense.  That's why SJ is a great producer.

Having H&T as a piano/vox based album would sound like a bunch of demos, and be an exhausting listen over the course of 45-60 mins.

Listen again....as I will.  It will take a while to process these songs that we have lived with for literally years.

Dan/NS

LostDwarf

• VCUBs
  • Now Found!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Bionicledwarf
    • View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:38:54 am »
yea what dan said =P
.........the one and only!

blueglove

• View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:43 am »
I feel as if this album is more ... plastic... and artificial. I liked her and the piano... The whistling on Fools like me is horrific, and the constant use of pitch bend just screams Rap/R&B to me... It is growing on me. But the last two albums when I hear them I said instantly WOW....
Peace
-S

Gina

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 11:06:12 am »
I think this one is much more "Wow" than the others personally.
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
disappointed?
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 11:28:48 am »
Quote from: "Gina"
I think this one is much more "Wow" than the others personally.

:arrow: And I would have to agree.
Dustin

MyMelody

• View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 04:29:56 pm »
I agree with what someone else said - if every song was bare-bones piano/vocal then I would be asleep by the end of "Spring Street".

VanessaPiana

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 08:26:06 pm »
I was a little thrilled when I saw this thread, b/c it was exactly what the doctor ordered, b/c it hits on the nail what I'm thinkin'.

For the most part, I'm VERY disappointed w/ this album; it's HORRIBLE. Just GOD awful. So bad, that in fact, I don't know where to begin. But I'll begin w/ Vannie's vocals, since I thought that was the biggest flaw of the album. And what I'm about to say is not out of malice at all, but out of concern for V's career and how her music [and material for her discography] has declined since BE NOT NOBODY. But lemme start w/ how her singing, b/c that was the MAIN flaw [and possibly WORSE one yet] that stood out for me on HAT.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but w/ each album, it seems like Vannie's vocals become [not off-key per se], but more and more monotone. I honestly don't know what she's trying to prove by singing more out of tune w/ each album. The only song she actually SANG on that album was Lolita Fairytale. The rest, I don't know what the hell she thought she was doing, but that wasn't singing-- AT ALL. W/ HARMONIUM, her vocals were more monotone than I liked and more monotone than when she performed the songs from HARMONIUM live, but I still thought it was a great album. The songs that V sounded more [or the most] monotone on the album than live were Who's To Say, Papa, Afterglow, HAWBTW and White Houses. The rest of the songs she actually SANG IN TUNE, and those were the songs I enjoyed singing along to the most. I don't think HAT is even remotely WORTH singing along to... unless you're tone-ass deaf.

When I first listened to HARMONIUM, I only liked half the songs; by the end of the [3] weeks I had the album, I loved practically ALL the songs. BNN was a hit [mainly b/c VC actually SANG her ass off on all the songs], HARMONIUM was getting there, and HAT is DEFINITELY a miss vocally. For starters, the lyrics sound more juvenille than ever, like something a 8-year old would write, even more junvenille than BNN. I was actually expecting something better, but HAT fell short...  BIG time. Like Avril Lavigne latest album [which isn't as good as UNDER MY SKIN (which didn't do as good as her debut, but is much better than her latest, THE BEST DAMN THING lyrics and material-wise among other things) and her debut, LET GO], V's latest LP [lyric-wise, among other factors] has regressed, even BEFORE her debut. But at least Avril Lavigne actually SANG the songs on her latest release. V didn't sing in tune AT ALL, except on Lolita Fairytale. Her vocals were pretty much one-note [not to mention very boring and unexciting to me].

I almost cried I was so disappointed w/ the singing. If V only SANG the songs, that album would've been SOOOO much better. I don't know what the hell she was thinking, believing that maybe we wouldn't notice how flat her singing was. Or maybe the people directly involved w/ the production of the album [as well as her label] were afraid to tell her that her monotone singing was ATROCIOUS. Or perhaps she was cutting corners w/ this cut. I don't know what the problem is, but V's had more than 2 1/2 years to come out w/ a kick-ass album, if not 3. And featuring Stevie NICKS on that album of all people. [I'm not even a Fleetwood Mac fan.] I'm not saying the woman [Stevie Nicks] can't sing, b/c she can; her voice [like Macy Gray's] just sounds terrible. Even her ex, Stephen Jenkins sounded better singing background than Stevie. Even w/ HARMONIUM I was willing to overlook Van's more-monotone-than-usual vocals b/c the material on the album was pretty good [partial courtesy of her ex and Ron Fair]. Now I can almost understand why her label gave her the blessed boot.

V may think her album is da bomb-diggity and her best work yet, but I beg [w/ all due respect], b/c it's about as far from that as it can get. It's very sad that V is wasting her vocal talent by singing in a monotone voice, b/c she's MUCH MORE capable than this. [I think 'Home' is from her demo, but I'm not sure.] She has a clear, beautiful voice [not to mention that she kind of sounds like Jewel], but she totally did herself under by doing a hack job on HAT w/ her dull, flat, boring monotone vocals. Yeah, [like some fans] I'm disappointed that songs such as 'Best Behavior' and 'All Is Well' didn't make the cut, but at this point it doesn't really matter anyway, b/c HAT is such a crappy album. On 'The One' [the live version w/ the shitty quality] V sang the song like her life literally DEPENDED on singing it right. She sang the song w/ such emotion that I almost cried; I'd NEVER heard her sing like that [except on some of her demo songs], even on BNN. But on HAT, she did a HORRIBLE job on the song vocally.

angelheart56

• MSN Messenger - angelheart567865@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - vcangelsb922
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - angelheart567865
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/angelheart56
disappointed?
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 08:28:18 pm »
Well, in case you didn't notice, Vanessa does not have a song called Lolita Fairytale. However, she does have a song called Nolita Fairytale. Next time you criticize an artist, at least get the name of the single correct!

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
disappointed?
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 08:29:26 pm »
Quote from: "VanessaPiana"
I was a little thrilled when I saw this thread, b/c it was exactly what the doctor ordered, b/c it hits on the nail what I'm thinkin'.

For the most part, I'm VERY disappointed w/ this album; it's HORRIBLE. Just GOD awful. So bad, that in fact, I don't know where to begin. But I'll begin w/ Vannie's vocals, since I thought that was the biggest flaw of the album. And what I'm about to say is not out of malice at all, but out of concern for V's career and how her music [and material for her discography] has declined since BE NOT NOBODY. But lemme start w/ how her singing, b/c that was the MAIN flaw [and possibly WORSE one yet] that stood out for me on HAT.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but w/ each album, it seems like Vannie's vocals become [not off-key per se], but more and more monotone. I honestly don't know what she's trying to prove by singing more out of tune w/ each album. The only song she actually SANG on that album was Lolita Fairytale..

and that;s where i stopped reading...
maybe try NOLITA Fairytale.

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<