Author Topic: disappointed?  (Read 26321 times)

VanessaPiana

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 08:37:53 pm »
Quote from: "angelheart56"
Well, in case you didn't notice, Vanessa does not have a song called Lolita Fairytale. However, she does have a song called Nolita Fairytale. Next time you criticize an artist, at least get the name of the single correct!

Whatever. Like it matters. I actually spelled it like that on purpose. [Nola, Lola, Nolita, Lolita, get it?] I already know that it's spelled NOLITA FAIRYTALE. Get your facts straight.

PianoPlayer12

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - anthony_the_great_g6@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mattia1045
    • View Profile
    • Nessfan12
disappointed?
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 08:38:40 pm »
Quote from: "VanessaPiana"
Quote from: "angelheart56"
Well, in case you didn't notice, Vanessa does not have a song called Lolita Fairytale. However, she does have a song called Nolita Fairytale. Next time you criticize an artist, at least get the name of the single correct!

Whatever. Like it matters. I actually spelled it like that on purpose. [Nola, Lola, Nolita, Lolita, get it?] I already know that it's spelled NOLITA FAIRYTALE. Get your facts straight.

Im sure you spelt it like that on purpose...

Lets Make This Our Story. Lets Live In The Glory. Time It Fades Away Precious As A Song. Cause Someday We'll Be Gone
www.freewebs.com/nessfan12<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sharona PianoBea

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
    • PianoBea Music
disappointed?
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 09:29:03 pm »
I'm not disappointed at all. I love the hip-hop twinge. Each of her albums is different. That's what being a creative, evolving artist is all about.  8)
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams."

www.pianobea.com
www.yoursharona.com

VanessaPiana

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 09:56:21 pm »
Quote from: "Baronessa"
I'm not disappointed at all. I love the hip-hop twinge. Each of her albums is different. That's what being a creative, evolving artist is all about.  8)

I guess, but I hope V's next album isn't like this. But in the meantime I'll stick to listening to her previous releases. I hope she sings like she did on the live [low quality] version of 'The One' on the next one.

For those of you who made such a big f.u.s.s. out of the spelling of NF, I swear I did that on purpose; I'm a really good speller [people are always asking ME how to spell words]. There's only a few words I can't spell.

jsbachsonata

• MSN Messenger - jsbach_sonata@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jsbachsonata
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 10:27:09 pm »
i am glad somebody brought this up. The last time i mentioned it in her album thread people told me to eff off. Telling me to eff off does not mean it makes the album any better. I am definitely very disappointed with vanessa. Was incredibly impressed with BNN

less so with harmonium

and now there's this...... I don't think her songwriting skills will carry her anywhere at this point. She really will have to depend on her promo.

sorry I am sad about this too but the truth is this album is not good at all.

jsbachsonata

• MSN Messenger - jsbach_sonata@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jsbachsonata
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 10:31:32 pm »
in response to the post about a monotone voice.... i don't think you can really characterize music by monotone because that is what you would say to describe speech.

However, I know what you mean. This sort of "flat" timbre that comes out of Vanessa in Harmonium and truly in HAT is a result of very poorly written songs. The range is extremely limited AND the key is often too low to create any sort of vocal richness.

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Re: disappointed?
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 12:14:18 am »
Quote from: "nosticker"
Sounds like you got used to hearing the new songs as bare-bones productions, with just piano and vocals.

Yeah, I realized that was my problem when I first listened to the album.  Your listening perception goes from listening to the piano and vocals and being used to it, then all this other months of work is piled on suddenly.  It's not the only time you run into that kind of adjustment.

To people listening to it the for the first time it sounds great, trust me....or at least 3.5...somewhere between good and great.  ;)  It depends on what their ears are used to.

For instance, if you have always listened to heavy metal and have never been introduced to classical at all it might take most non-musicians time to get used and appreciate it for what it offers; hence, Music Appreciation 101 in colleges.

It's pretty much the same idea, no?

Quote from: "nosticker"
There is SO MUCH to be considered when making an album that I can't begin to go into it here.

Even without recording, just writing music, especially when you have several instruments involved, there's so much you have to keep track of.  I can only imagine what it took to put together the song H&T.  It's not pure genius, but I can imagine it was still a shitload of work.

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 12:17:38 am »
Its really scary when i hear people talk about the album in this way... makes me wonder if y'all are maybe used to Ron Fair's work on the previous two albums...

Maybe the fact that she has teamed up with Irv Gotti is making y'all just "feel" that this album is very "different" from her previous releases...

imo... if we wanna hear an acoustical(which imo too would be an amazing idea... yes even SS would be very very neat...)album... we should keep our fingers crossed and hope for maybe an unplugged album... or maybe as discused in other threads...an AOL sessions thingy...

I feel that this album is musically very very different from her previous two... and she has grown beautifully in the past 2 years... this album totally lacks the hauntingness that was very evident in her previous two albums... but that doesnt leave me disappointed... at all...

the extended intros and outros on songs like come undone and home are amazing... very interestingly different....

Whatevr she does... I love it.. even if I dont ,I grow to love it...Cos I'm a NESSAholic... and I can't help it... :P
"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

mikepepsi

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 02:06:56 am »
Harmonium is my favourite record of all time
I think this record has a serious shot at challenging that.
Its more upbeat. Its more complex. Its less gothic and experimental. But thats because shes refined what shes FUCKING AMAZING at here.

Excellent album. Truly.

Twilight_Angel

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 04:49:41 am »
VanessaPiana....

NO ONE calls her Vannie, thats the worse nickname for her ever.

Secondly, try releasing an album as good as hers before you slate it.

thirdly, you have no right to critisize her so harshly when you havent even been here that long  :roll:

oh...and no one cares if you're a good speller.

I love the album. Admititly its different from her last two but some of the songs are classics....Nolita fairytale, hands on me, come undone, fools like me, home, this time and more then this are amazing. The others are brilliant but in my opinion not as good.

carterrocks

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 06:38:52 am »
I think her new album rocks!  At first I wasn't so happy about Hands On Me and Heroes And Theives, as I had got use to and loved the live versions but after a day I fell in love with the album just like Be Not Nobody and Harmonium.

Oh and I'm also the only person to write a review of the album on Amazon UK- just thought I'd mention it

jekyll

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 06:47:47 am »
Not disappointed at all!!!!! This is her best album, definitely, every song is magic!

joey

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - josephherbert@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 07:32:33 am »
Quote from: "Twilight_Angel"
VanessaPiana....

NO ONE calls her Vannie, thats the worse nickname for her ever.

"I see the Dalai Lama ... I feel him blessing me"

Myspace...Add me...

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 08:13:18 am »
Look, everyone has a right to their opinion.  You can't please everyone.
As an artist, with any release,  some people will like your album if it sounds similar to the last, and some may loathe it for just that reason.

If your album goes off in some kind of weird or uncommercial direction, some people will love it for that reason or hate it for that reason.

Basically, all artists are screwed.  You never, ever know what people will and won't respond to.  I'm always amazed.

H&T may end up my least fave VC album.  That doesn't mean I don't like it, but so far I prefer listening to the other two.  Ultimately, I predict it will be a tie with BNN....just IMO.  So what?  It's a good album, I dig it, and I'm going to enjoy getting to know it better.

I'm a fan of VC, and she keeps developing as an artist.  But, remember that no artist is above criticism.

Dan/NS

nolitafairytale2007

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 09:01:46 am »
H& T is good album and there is no denying it. I have to disagree with all of those who say her lyrics are childish (what?)or that her vocals are bad. I think the lyrics to some of these songs are truly AMAZING!!! Their so much raw emotion to them and you can tell V has pour her heart out in them. I do however, agree that it was a little over produced. I would have preferred for the focus to be on her vocals and the piano. I was heartbroken at the arrangements on Fools Like Me because I loved the raw emotion of it when it was just her and the piano live. So V if you are reading this PLEASE MAKE AN UNPLUGGED VERSION OF THE CD!!! But regardless of anything I still think it's a great album!