Author Topic: disappointed?  (Read 26320 times)

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
disappointed?
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2007, 03:38:27 am »
Actually, I am disappointed, but if other people like it, that's great. I'm not going to try and change their mind... also, good on the people who are willing to admit that they don't like it and give their opinion... it's gutsy because on these boards, I've noticed that if you do, then pepole have a go at you. If you like the album, then no-one else's personal opinion should matter all that much to you, because YOU enjoy it ... so why get angry at someone who doesn't enjoy it? If you feel you must tell them that you disagree and why, then fair enough, but why argue and attack, rather than discuss? I don't get it.
Personally, I don't like the album because it's missing what Vanessa called the "goth" element that was woven into the demos, BNN, Harmonium (especially so), and other B-sides and live tracks. That's what I truly love about Vanessa's music. If that's not what makes you a fan of Vanessa than you may find nothing to complain about with H&T... but that's what attracted me to her music in the first place. I was never a fan of ATM, but when I borrowed BNN from a friend I loved Wanted, Twilight, Paint it Black, Sway, etc. and became a fan that way. That side of Vanessa seems to be absent in H&T.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

alison

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yaay+its+a
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2007, 12:21:59 pm »
thats actually a really good description of whats missing...i hadn't identified it exactly until you said it lol. goth element. i like it.
plus ive noticed that if you present your review in a respectful way (even if its negative) in a respectful way then people don't bash you. its only when you come on the board and say H&T SUCKS!! that people are like, wtf.

portions.for.foxes

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mika+Iwakura1
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2007, 12:54:16 pm »
I love H&T but I miss the darker element in her music as well. I wouldn't really call it "goth", that's a misnomer, "dark" would be more apt to describe it.
And it's bad news, baby it's bad news
It's just bad news, bad news, bad news
'Cause you're just damage control
For a walking corpse like me - like you,
'Cause we'll all be portions for foxes
Yeah, we'll all be portions for foxes.

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
disappointed?
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2007, 01:04:55 pm »
I agree that Vanessa does the dark thing well and it's definitely missing from this record, but I asked in another thread and nobody replied... Maybe she's just happy? The darkest song in consideration for H&T was All Is Well and it got left out. Maybe she's not having those feelings right now.
I'm happy she's happy and wouldn't ask her to suffer so I can have darker songs. I write my darkest when I'm very unhappy and I wouldn't want that for anybody. So if V being happy means no dark songs, so be it.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
disappointed?
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2007, 03:26:17 pm »
Quote from: "alison"
thats actually a really good description of whats missing...i hadn't identified it exactly until you said it lol. goth element. i like it.
plus ive noticed that if you present your review in a respectful way (even if its negative) in a respectful way then people don't bash you. its only when you come on the board and say H&T SUCKS!! that people are like, wtf.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Quote from: "amberbeads"
I agree that Vanessa does the dark thing well and it's definitely missing from this record, but I asked in another thread and nobody replied... Maybe she's just happy? The darkest song in consideration for H&T was All Is Well and it got left out. Maybe she's not having those feelings right now.
I'm happy she's happy and wouldn't ask her to suffer so I can have darker songs. I write my darkest when I'm very unhappy and I wouldn't want that for anybody. So if V being happy means no dark songs, so be it.

Haha, that's true. What thread was your comment in? I haven't read it. Anyway, I get what you mean, I write dark songs too. I don't wish her to be unhappy as a person... I just prefer (usually, but not exclusively) to listen to darker music. I am disappointed with this album for that reason (although FLM does have some cool 'sad' lyrics), but it's not such a big deal, I can just listen to her older songs or other artists that I enjoy... she's not the only artist I like.  :)
-CONFUCIUS

amberbeads

• View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2007, 03:39:28 pm »
Oh, I know you weren't suggesting she be unhappy. I was just saying.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
disappointed?
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2007, 04:10:11 pm »
Quote from: "amberbeads"
Oh, I know you weren't suggesting she be unhappy. I was just saying.

Yeah, I know what you meant.  :)
-CONFUCIUS

xxlovelyxx

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xbutterfliesx23
    • View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2007, 05:43:32 pm »
i dont know what to say about vanessa, i'm not really into her music..

amberbeads

• View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2007, 06:12:41 pm »
then why are you here?
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way

xxlovelyxx

• View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2007, 06:33:24 pm »
because i like talking to some of the people here...

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: disappointed?
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2007, 07:12:25 pm »
i have been a vc fan for a very long time...be not nobody was one of the first albums i ever owned.
i saw her live at the roxy earlier this year and i don't know when i was more excited for an album.
i must say i am thoroughly disappointed in heroes & thieves.

vanessa's performance at the roxy was epic...just her and her piano, and you could really feel the emotion and the beauty of the songs.

this album is totally pop synthesized.
i had an amazing live performance of hands on me that i loved, but on the album i feel like shes playing with a metronome. one of the mostbrilliant things about her work was her ability to switch tempo.

fools like me has by far the best lyrics of any song...especially the last 3 lines which i am obsessed with. but the instrumentals are completely overwhelming and take over the rest of the song.
i just don't understand why sooo many songs fail to have the piano as the lead instrument...i do not like vanessa because of her voice..i like her songwriting/pianoplaying/singing combo.

i just feel completely blindsighted...what artist does entirely acoustic live performances when their album is pop?

its frusterating that this album had 5 star potential and its only like a 3, MAYBE a 3.5

Since I'm a fan of her previous works, I'll give the album 3 stars. But H&T is just whack w/ a capital W, and I never thought I would say that. The only good song really is NF; I thought that was the precursor, the main theme of the rest of H&T; boy did I get played -- BIG time. I honestly don't know what V was aiming for the third round. I guess I'll ask her if I have the chance to meet her. I just hope it's different w/ the next record. *ignores immature critsism* When Van performs live, sometimes her vocals are off-key [probably b/c she's sick, tired or her voice is worn from so much singing], but other times she sounds really good, sometimes better than she does on the record [especially in her performances on Sessions@AOL and Rolling Stone Original and other live performances I don't have time to name].

On a lot of the album reviews for BNN [I haven't yet seen the ones for HARMONIUM], some say that the main problem w/ the album was that all of the songs pretty much sounded the same w/ Ron Fair running things and adding an orchestra and all. That's true, but I had absolutely no qualms about that b/c the material was pretty good [and entertaining to listen to and sing along w/ as well]. I also loved that the piano wasn't tweaked, her YAMAHA therefore maintaining its naturally beautiful, pristine sound [except on Wanted w/ the solo piano b/c the song had to have that 'studio' sound quality suitable for the album]. V's pretty voice was also easy on the ears, too [she sang her ass off in Wanted and Paint It Black].

For those of you who want to argue and be militant and hostile about my criticism of the H&T, I'm 'a just be the bigger person and ignore your idiotic comments. I don't like her latest album, no means no, like it, lump, back up and bump it, or whatever you wanna do. Y'all can kiss my curvy black ass -- and then go straight to hell, 'cuz I don't know you, and you don't know absolutely nothin' about me, either, just to be making such silly, childish, petty comments. I've tried to be nice and civilized, but it's obviously not working -- at all. I give up b/c people are impossible to please, anyway. It didn't work back in 2005, and it's definitely not working now. Some of you obviously have too much time on your hands, lest you wouldn't spend it retaliating by hurling nasty remarks at me and whining [like BIG, spoiled babies] about the fact that my opinions about Van's latest album are different from yours [among other things]. C'mon, chill da hell out; y'all are seriously making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's not that serious, you feel me?

Van is in this crazy thing called the music industry and I'm pretty sure she can accept the fact that not everybody's gonna love her and her music. Why don't y'all feel the same way? [Looks to me like Van is more secure in her talent and comfortable w/ herself than even her most devoted fans are, ironically]. She's a grown-ass woman who I'm pretty sure can handle her own bid'ness and not lose any sleep when someone hurts her feelings. People gonna do that to you for as long as you live, so you might as well get used to if, or else be miserable for the rest of your life [or even suicidal]. If people don't like the artists I listen too, then it's fine by me; their tastes are just different, that's all... or sometimes they just don't know what they're missin'. Ain't nothin' I can do but go on about my business. As long as you don't put your hands on me, you can say whatever you want. It ain't gonna bother me none. I don't even know why I'm explainin' myself to some of you, b/c it obviously ain't doin' no good. Some of you have been smokin' so much Mary Jane that it's blowed out your minds, and I can't reason w/ people who have baked brains. Either that, or some people can't stand the truth, 'cuz the truth hurts bad... if you're not one of those mature people who can stomach it. For that reason, it's impossible to have a reasonable, mature, civilized, poised discussion.

Ever heard the saying, 'I'm rubber, you're glue, and whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you?' ['Nuff said.] But in the meantime I'll get a good night's sleep b/c if I spend it quarreling w/ people who can't take anything deep I'll get sidetracked. The only thing I can do is pray for you. What goes around comes around. You reap what you sow. The very same way you're treating me, whether it's for bad or worse, someone's gonna revisit it back on you. That's all I have to say. I wish you the best, and God bless.

xxlovelyxx

• View Profile
disappointed?
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2007, 07:56:18 pm »
vanessa, you shouldnt have to explain yourself, its your opinion and people should accept that

alison

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yaay+its+a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2007, 02:14:23 am »
yeah i feel the same way..nolita fairytale had me really excited for the album...i like it when the single is like the third or fourth best song on the album..like a precursor to greatness. this was just getting my hopes up and being disappointed.

PutYourHandsOnMe101

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2007, 07:34:37 am »
yeah i feel the same way..nolita fairytale had me really excited for the album...i like it when the single is like the third or fourth best song on the album..like a precursor to greatness. this was just getting my hopes up and being disappointed.

For me Nolita Fairytale is a great song but it isn't even close to being the best off of Heroes & Thieves...I really do love this album and every song is memorable to me. Maybe you'll like her next album better?!?
and if you don't believe me... just Put Your Hands On Me

VanessaPiana

• View Profile
    • Email
disappointed?
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2007, 09:36:11 pm »
I meant to quote Alison, but I accidently added her to my 'Ignore List' [sorry, alison; it was a freak accident].

Although NF has the sound of V's previous albums [especially HARMONIUM], the lyrics are more autobiographical. V was obviously aiming for something different for this album [by taking her music (as well as her soft-but powerful voice) in a different direction], and it didn't strike the right chords w/ some, including myself. But I'm afraid that she's sold herself short this time around. Most likely b/f signing under her new label the CEO and executives gave her 'conditions' she must follow under the contract b/f they gave her the deal. I guess this explains this new sound that rubs me in all the wrong places. I'm pretty sure some of you know good and well how cutthroat [not to mention competitive] the music industry is, especially in this day and time.