Author Topic: Will you still be a fan after H&T?  (Read 31595 times)

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Will you still be a fan after H&T?
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 01:19:50 pm »
Why are you the most hated person? What'd you do?

tylor2000

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2008, 01:24:31 pm »
Quote from: "Hazy Eyes"
Why are you the most hated person? What'd you do?

Oh I don't know.  Sometimes you don't need to do anything.  Maybe it is just my own perception on what is going on.  In any case, I didn't expect anyone to question that in particular.  

Have any ideas?

(maybe this should all be on a seperate thread)

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2008, 01:37:22 pm »
oh ok.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2008, 08:16:39 pm »
Quote from: "Hazy Eyes"
I'm not sure there's anything we can do that will be enough to get her out there & noticed again.

If V's trying to get mainstream success, she'll need everyone's input. It doesn't work if one group of people are willing to put the effort in to helping her.

There is only so much the 'Holics can do.  We simply cannot replace:
---The support of a record label to get product on the shelves;
---The support of promo people to get the song on the radio;
---The support of promoters to have Vanessa do a proper tour.

It is not a reflection on us or what we can or can't do.

The biz is oiled a certain way, particularly in the area of record promotion.  I cannot call up Mr. Music Director at WANK-100 FM and offer him a plasma TV, tickets to the opera, or a night with Ashley Dupre to play VC's music.  A promo guy can do that.  I'm half kidding, but that is really what goes on in the biz, and it has always been like that.

Labels have people who go around and make sure that stores have the CD's that the artists are supporting as they make their way across the country.  There are all kinds of things that need to be in sync and in place in order for an artist to do well.  There is no magic involved, just lots of money given to the right people.

When that chemistry is happening between the artist/band/management/label/promoter, it's amazing.  Things happen.  The song is on the radio.  The artist is on TRL, Early Show, 106 & Park, whatever is needed, you name it.  Magazines get in depth interviews/reviews timed perfectly with tours/SNL appearances.  These things all have to happen simultaneously, or close to it, in order to for things to blow up huge. 99.9% of the public don't know and don't care how this happens and responds to hype.  Tons of good music, like VC albums, go largely unheard, even with downloads being more popular than ever, and it makes me sick.

Bottom line: our hands are tied. We're doing our best and should be proud of it.  Keep talking about VC, both in life and online.  Every little bit helps.

Dan/NS

ordinaryday6

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ordinaryday6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 09:43:00 am »
i haven't said anything about this yet.. i wanted to, but to be honest, i haven't known what to say.

we've got a great record, in my opinion. i don't really care where she is on what charts. i've said it before - stevie nicks just told her that she's like, the chosen one of singer/songwriters, and it sounds like she's going to keep making music.

which is all we should care about. you've got people talking about her making different music to get on the radio more and that this isn't radio/commercially friendly. WHO GIVES A SHIT. most things that are on the radio right now suck. i thought we wanted a GOOD record. this one sounds like it was the most from her heart anyway. if you don't like it, perhaps you shouldn't be a fan anyway, because if and when we get more music, it may completely be the exact same thing. i have no problem with that, though i'd appreciate it if linda perry went away and all is well and best behavior came back.

you guys are talking like this is the end of the vanessa carlton world. the point is - irv gotti is paying for her to make music. yes, i know, the inc is doing a SHIT job promoting her. absolute shit and they should be ashamed. but again - i just don't care, if we're going to get more music, and vanessa is not going to sell out.

the music industry has changed. A LOT. there are not going to be as many big name artists from the past, who are still big name artists. everyone - besides radiohead, u2, etc. has to fight to get what they deserve. that's just the way it is. there are a ton of people making really good music that are not going to get heard unless you go to a show, or you find them on myspace or you make it a point to buy their album. with promotion - it's all about grassroots. i'm heavily involved in working with third eye blind, and when they get their shit together soon, i'll be heavily working on promo for them. they were a major band in the 90s. but they have to start at the beginning. times have changed, and nothing matters anymore. the people who have taken advantage of myspace and facebook in a BIG way, are the ones you're going to hear about (i.e. kate voegele, etc.). maybe this phone call to vanessa thing is the beginning of something that irv and v have had up their sleeve the whole time. maybe? maybe not.

here's the point - we've got no contact with vanessa. that makes it incredibly hard to do ANYTHING to benefit her. i've been a fan pretty long, but involved a lot less, and it seems that this has always been the deal. third eye blind's core fan group is going to be contributing in a huge way, as they put this album out, and we have contact with Tony (the guitarist), pretty much every day. there's only so much that people are going to be able to do, not sanctioned by vanessa. who knows if she appreciates the effort, and if she even cares.

will you still be a fan after heroes and thieves? what is h&t? the apocalypse? will you still be a fan after the world ends. there's no accounting for taste, i know that. but what most of you people are talking about, is exchanging a record that vanessa worked hard on, that she enjoys, that is VERY GOOD, and picking something else, more commercially friendly. guess what, guys. that's called being a SELL OUT. and i'd rather get great music that doesn't get played on the radio next to shit music, then get shit music and have it be associated with shit music.
Samuel
(he/him)

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2008, 05:30:45 pm »
mmm. i think it's a valid question, though.
formerly fish_for__stars.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2008, 05:43:33 pm »
Quote from: "ordinaryday6"

will you still be a fan after heroes and thieves? what is h&t? the apocalypse? will you still be a fan after the world ends. there's no accounting for taste, i know that. but what most of you people are talking about, is exchanging a record that vanessa worked hard on, that she enjoys, that is VERY GOOD, and picking something else, more commercially friendly. guess what, guys. that's called being a SELL OUT. and i'd rather get great music that doesn't get played on the radio next to shit music, then get shit music and have it be associated with shit music.

i totally agree with you, the other day, i brought my ipod player to the play i was in and wanted toi share V with other ppl. My ipod was carelessly unplugged and thrown aside countless times so people could listen to "soulja boy" and a song that said fuck every 2 seconds. i would type exactly what it said but i am around the family right now. but it was aweful. and it fitted to the definition of "shit music"

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2008, 09:15:33 pm »
Quote from: "ordinaryday6"
i haven't said anything about this yet.. i wanted to, but to be honest, i haven't known what to say.

we've got a great record, in my opinion. i don't really care where she is on what charts. i've said it before - stevie nicks just told her that she's like, the chosen one of singer/songwriters, and it sounds like she's going to keep making music.

which is all we should care about. you've got people talking about her making different music to get on the radio more and that this isn't radio/commercially friendly. WHO GIVES A SHIT. most things that are on the radio right now suck. i thought we wanted a GOOD record. this one sounds like it was the most from her heart anyway. if you don't like it, perhaps you shouldn't be a fan anyway, because if and when we get more music, it may completely be the exact same thing. i have no problem with that, though i'd appreciate it if linda perry went away and all is well and best behavior came back.

you guys are talking like this is the end of the vanessa carlton world. the point is - irv gotti is paying for her to make music. yes, i know, the inc is doing a SHIT job promoting her. absolute shit and they should be ashamed. but again - i just don't care, if we're going to get more music, and vanessa is not going to sell out.

the music industry has changed. A LOT. there are not going to be as many big name artists from the past, who are still big name artists. everyone - besides radiohead, u2, etc. has to fight to get what they deserve. that's just the way it is. there are a ton of people making really good music that are not going to get heard unless you go to a show, or you find them on myspace or you make it a point to buy their album. with promotion - it's all about grassroots. i'm heavily involved in working with third eye blind, and when they get their shit together soon, i'll be heavily working on promo for them. they were a major band in the 90s. but they have to start at the beginning. times have changed, and nothing matters anymore. the people who have taken advantage of myspace and facebook in a BIG way, are the ones you're going to hear about (i.e. kate voegele, etc.). maybe this phone call to vanessa thing is the beginning of something that irv and v have had up their sleeve the whole time. maybe? maybe not.

here's the point - we've got no contact with vanessa. that makes it incredibly hard to do ANYTHING to benefit her. i've been a fan pretty long, but involved a lot less, and it seems that this has always been the deal. third eye blind's core fan group is going to be contributing in a huge way, as they put this album out, and we have contact with Tony (the guitarist), pretty much every day. there's only so much that people are going to be able to do, not sanctioned by vanessa. who knows if she appreciates the effort, and if she even cares.

You're on a whole bunch of different things, and I cannot tell if any of them address points I've made, or not.

Like it or not, H&T represents a turning point for VC.  It's not the apocalypse, but I feel some are ready to jump ship.  I'm not going to.
I'm an old school Nessa fan, and while I hope everyone is with me, it really wouldn't affect me if everyone wasn't.  There's still no one like V today.  Sales mean nothing to me.  Neither do trends, what is HIP or what isn't HIP.  Vanessa's music does something for me.  From Nolita back to ATM, I always turn the music up.  I'm compelled to, and I can't fully explain it.  Neither can most of us, and neither can Irv.  She has that "something".  Stevie knows this, too!

I'll defend what I've said about the saleability of some of H&V, because I DO want to see Vanessa as successful as possible, and no artist is above criticism.  I don't believe for a New York second that any artist strives for a cult following.  This doesn't mean that VC needs to write vacuous pop trash, but Samantha did mention working with 3EB, a band with massive pop sensibilities.  IMO "Semi-Charmed" was the best single of the 90's.
I think you can succeed with artistic as well as commercial success.  Pop is NOT a bad word.  It's when it's uninspired, contrived garbage that I have an issue.  The soul has to remain, take the glitz back, you know?

No matter the viewpoint, I'm sure most of us agree that things cannot continue as they are.

Dan/NS

Butz

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2008, 11:56:48 pm »
She needs to terminate her contract with the Inc real soon. This album IS mainstream and it has potential. But they are handeling everything like shit.

Damn! New label or go indie (she's already in that niche anway)!

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2008, 01:09:02 pm »
I don't know, I think there are things we can do.  I'm not sure I'm willing to do them right now though.

They have been asking us to call radio stations, but I didn't see people doing that so much.  Where is a thread to get that campaign going?  We should be posting about it.  We can motivate each other if we see each other doing it.  The problem is, where is VC?  I mean, thanks for posting 5 months ago.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2008, 04:24:35 pm »
calling the stations worked for me, i got it on an "official playlist"
check it out on todaysbestmix.com
all you SF bayers here need to listen to mix 106.5~

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2008, 04:59:52 pm »
well yeah, but how long did it take them to finally add it? we need something quick. and how a few people were saying that there is only so much that we can do.

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2008, 06:06:16 pm »
we willing, then? we can try one more time for "hands on me," which really has dropped tremendously.
formerly fish_for__stars.

Skye.bby

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - skyebebe@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/skyebebe
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 07:24:19 am »
Even though H & T isnt exactly HUGE it still has me happy :D I love vanessa and her music...Doesnt matter if other people like it or not because when it coems down to it...its all about personal preference.
-[Skye]-x-[Phoebe]-

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 09:26:09 am »
Quote from: "iluvvanessa"
calling the stations worked for me, i got it on an "official playlist"
check it out on todaysbestmix.com
all you SF bayers here need to listen to mix 106.5~

I'll be calling them tomorrow...just to add to the requests for it.  Who else is calling into the radio station?