Author Topic: Will you still be a fan after H&T?  (Read 31423 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Will you still be a fan after H&T?
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2008, 10:37:51 pm »
I still love her, and I really think H&T is her most listenable album so far.  This is all my opinion, of course, and that's really all that matters. :razz:
Dustin

tylor2000

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2008, 04:00:49 pm »
We don't know what has happened or what is going on.  We'll have to wait and see.

Just make sure to go to her concerts.

maRia twinK

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2008, 08:28:59 am »
i'll always be  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
tuRtle

craft

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2008, 08:50:54 am »
Quote from: "maRia twinK"
i'll always be  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Me too. Artists like Vanessa don't come around every day. This is nothing. Vanessa is just having a dry spell. I'm sure she'll figure something out. Cyndi Lauper fans waited 11 years for new material, but we stood by her and got it, We Enya fans have to wait years for albums, and Tracy Chapman hasn't released new material since 05, so I think waiting for another Vanessa hit will be easy. It will come. She is too good an artist to not have some sort of hit.

sarab

• Wolves howl to a moon and she never answers back
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will you still be a fan after H&T?
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2011, 04:04:25 am »
WOW. I found this thread while conducting a search for Stevie Nicks in order to post in the right area about her album on Rollingstone.com.  Obviously, this is a very old thread, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in.
A lot of you have been on this forum from the beginning and I have just joined.  I was never a hardcore nessaholic until now.  I never followed her every move or pined away for one.  I was a fan, yes, I bought her albums when I realized they were out and liked them a lot.  To me, Harmonium was the album I did not connect with until just recently actually.  I think I was in a different place in my life than she was in her life when she wrote that album so I could not fully embrace her vision.  With that said, I never gave up on it.  I like it a lot more now because I've matured and can give it the consideration it deserves.  H&T I connected with immediately, especially Home, Fools like Me, More than this.  Maybe people who do not care for this album or connect with it can revisit it and see it differently when they are in a different point in their lives.
As for the discussion about her attitude towards fans, I have a few thoughts based on my own experiences.  No, I'm not a musician, nor do I have any fans but I do have experience with insecurities.  I am an extremely shy person (in real life; the computer gives me boldness).  When I am in public situations, and back when I was in school I RARELY talk (though I am getting better as I get older).  I have since learned to at least put a smile on my face, but I didn't used to and people thought I was a bitch!  I'm only quite because I fear rejection, I'm afraid of sounding stupid, I hate my nasal voice, and I am ALWAYS nervous that people will not like me.  Now, you might be thinking, what does this have to do with Vanessa?? People love her, they tell her they love her and her music!  Depression and insecurities run very deep and you can't just snap your fingers to make them go away.  If you have a bad day or are feeling particularly down on yourself, even if you just played a set in front of fans, nothing matters but that deep well of darkness. How I feel on the inside is often reflected on how I treat people, even the ones that love me (especially the ones that love me).  I am only guessing that Vanessa has some sort of depression based on her music mainly (and why I connect so deeply to it and her).  With the new information we have about her being bisexual it ALL makes sense to me.  She was most likely denying to everyone and to herself that she is bisexual. Denying a part of yourself, hating a part of yourself that you cannot change, thinking others won't like you if they know, and not feeling worth anything.  Combine this all with the fact that she is in the public eye being judged, she has put her soul to record and people are not liking it, and it's not successful...that is just a recipe for depression.  So she might not feel like talking to people because of what is going on inside of her.  She also seems very introspective and thoughtful, if not old fashioned and I think this is why she doesn't necessarily use technology to her advantage and stay in touch with her fans as others do.  She's not the type to make a tweet every time she goes to the bathroom.  I mean, wouldn't you rather have these clever, witty, thoughtful tweets that keep us guessing and in discussion (and to look up who the heck Jack K is and then maybe expand our own minds by reading him as well?) than to know every move she makes?  I don't think she'd be the V we love if she were to do that. 
I've made a pretty big departure from what the thread originally asked, but I felt I needed to address the issues brought up about her 'bitchiness' because ...well you know, I just had a paragraph about it.  But to answer the original question: hands down, absolutely, no questions or qualms about it.  I will be a fan after H&T (in fact I still am and actually MORE of fan).  Not only that, I will continue to be her fan even if she does switch over to just composing or writing for other people or even if she ventured into techno pop.  I may not listen to that album as much, but I would still buy it and follow her.  NESSAholic for life!
~Sara~

charmed23

• Make me high on lullabies
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ordinary_charm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2011, 01:01:35 am »
just an update on H&T's sales: currently stands at 75,000 in the U.S. now.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/sales_ur.cgi?062111

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2011, 03:53:09 am »
I'm actually a fan BECAUSE OF Heroes and Thieves.  I really didn't like most of her older stuff.  I don't even own Harmonium.  But there was something about H&T that was really special - it's difficult for me to articulate.  It just really works for me.  That's why when Carousel came out and it sounded so different, I was like "...eep."  But I actually really like that song, and from what I've heard of ROTR so far, I'm going to like much of it as well.

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2011, 05:09:26 am »
I'm actually a fan BECAUSE OF Heroes and Thieves.  I really didn't like most of her older stuff.  I don't even own Harmonium.  But there was something about H&T that was really special - it's difficult for me to articulate.  It just really works for me.  That's why when Carousel came out and it sounded so different, I was like "...eep."  But I actually really like that song, and from what I've heard of ROTR so far, I'm going to like much of it as well.

I think that every album is different.  It pretty much has to be.  If an artist kept putting out the same stuff, it would get old.  If you haven't tried out the other two albums, I'd give them a fair shot.  When Harmonium came out I didn't immediately connect with it.  Not to say it was bad, because it's not.  I still listened to it, but it wasn't one that I would always go back to.  Now however, I have a different appreciation for it.  I appreciate each album for what it is on it's own and also the progression and growth the collection shows.  It was only natural that we'd get to this point of ROTR where it is soo different from what has come before, but it's more of who she is.
~Sara~

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2011, 06:39:18 pm »

I think that every album is different.  It pretty much has to be.  If an artist kept putting out the same stuff, it would get old.  If you haven't tried out the other two albums, I'd give them a fair shot.  When Harmonium came out I didn't immediately connect with it.  Not to say it was bad, because it's not.  I still listened to it, but it wasn't one that I would always go back to.  Now however, I have a different appreciation for it.  I appreciate each album for what it is on it's own and also the progression and growth the collection shows.  It was only natural that we'd get to this point of ROTR where it is soo different from what has come before, but it's more of who she is.

You have a really good point, all of her albums are way different from one another.  I actually own Be Not Nobody - I don't HATE it but I'm just not really drawn to it, I mean if it wasn't for Heroes and Thieves I wouldn't be on this site, you know what I mean?  Like, I respected BNN as a solid album, but H&T I just really loved and that's what made me a true fan.

Regarding Harmonium in particular - I really like music that has catchy choruses, like music that gets stuck in my head very easily (I've been walking around with "Dear California" in my head ALL day, so I know I'm going to love that song), and there isn't much in Harmonium that does that for me, except "White Houses" and "Who's to Say."

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2011, 07:10:45 pm »

You have a really good point, all of her albums are way different from one another.  I actually own Be Not Nobody - I don't HATE it but I'm just not really drawn to it, I mean if it wasn't for Heroes and Thieves I wouldn't be on this site, you know what I mean?  Like, I respected BNN as a solid album, but H&T I just really loved and that's what made me a true fan.

Regarding Harmonium in particular - I really like music that has catchy choruses, like music that gets stuck in my head very easily (I've been walking around with "Dear California" in my head ALL day, so I know I'm going to love that song), and there isn't much in Harmonium that does that for me, except "White Houses" and "Who's to Say."

wow, really?? Not Who's to Say?  I'm shocked! lol.  I love the message it sends and I sort of connect to it because my mother didn't really care for my now husband when we first started dating because he was older.  We've been together eight years and only in the past year or two has she really opened up to him.  My aunt stopped short of saying don't get married, but pretty much danced her way around it.  on that album, I don't connect with San Fransisco very well, but it's catchy.  anyway, off topic, sorry!
~Sara~

craft

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2011, 05:59:48 am »
I think Alexander is saying those are the only songs he does connect with. :D

sarab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2011, 07:10:11 am »
ha, lol!  thanks.
~Sara~

AlexanderLaska

« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2011, 02:42:04 pm »
I think Alexander is saying those are the only songs he does connect with. :D

Baha, you got to it first XD  But yeah, "Who's to Say" is one of the only songs on Harmonium I do really enjoy.  I listened to the entire album last night, and that pretty much confirmed it for me lol  The point being, for me, "Will you still be a fan after H&T" isn't even a question, since I wasn't really that much of a fan before (although, to be fair, I didn't really take much notice to her until I saw Nolita Fairytale on the front page of iTunes and was like "whoa, it's the Thousand Miles girl!")

Byoungforever

• All I hear is the music....
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2011, 06:52:12 pm »
HAha. looking at this thread almost four years after it was made. :)
Well, I , like one who posted above me, was made a fan by H&T. I mean, everyone knew ATM, but that was just a one hit wonder. But I recognized her name and decided to check this album out of the library. The first time I heard Hands on Me, I had it on replay, both on my CD player and in my head. The whole album began to grow on me, and I began listening to the album chronically. I downloaded her other albums. Harmonium I enjoyed for a while, and BNN was something interesting. But, though both albums were great, H&T was exceptional, and still is, for me. That album is special.
Anyway, my point is that HEroes and Thieves is the album that made me a big fan, and always will be. I am so excited to hear ROTR for the first time, and I hope I connect with this album as much or more than I did with H&T.

Peace :)
All I hear is the music.... and beauty stands... before me... and love comes back... around again, it's a carousel my friend.... :)

fizzybubblespop

• Make me high on lullabies
  • http://i.imgur.com/saOJMlL.png
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2011, 10:40:55 am »
Each album Vanessa comes out with is so distinct in style and vibe. Because of this, so many of different musical tastes are introduced to her amazing songwriting. An album being different is not a problem--just look how many fans were introduced by H&T :D

I became a fan through BNN. Harmonium was very different, H&T was even more so, and we already know how different Rabbits on the Run will be. However, through understanding and appreciating songs that were automatically my 'taste', I understood and appreciated her further writing. I believe I will always be a fan if she keeps writing good music; despite how different an album sounds, I think I'll always be able to figure it out and enjoy it.