Author Topic: Her record company  (Read 15792 times)

pswik91

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 03:34:56 pm »
i know nobody can really listen to what i have to say or agree with it but i think this "record deal" switch to irv was a flop and a half.  for one i love her music on all three albums, but heroes and thieves just was so like pop and like fake it didn't fit any of the songs how i pictured they'd be.  I hope V realizes that just because someone says "WOW V YOU'RE THE F*&%ING S$%T" doesn't make them the best producer in the world ha.  I hope she like switches and uses a real good quality piano.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
Her record company
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 05:00:04 pm »
at least she's said shes happy.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
Her record company
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 05:51:24 pm »
Quote from: "pswik09"
for one i love her music on all three albums, but heroes and thieves just was so like pop and like fake it didn't fit any of the songs how i pictured they'd be.

don't knock all of it. "home" was ridiculously beautiful, and "more than this" was a gorgeous surprise, too. "heroes & thieves" was good, and the album version of "hands on me" definitely grew on me, though i still prefer it acoustically. "nolita fairytale" was different and fun.

so, what, that's half the album at least that i definitely loved. the rest i can make peace with. it wasn't such an epic failure, though harmonium remains my favorite, too.

and as people rightly said before me, as long as she's happy.
formerly fish_for__stars.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Her record company
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 04:02:39 am »
I think "Nolita", "My Best", "Heroes", "Home" and "More Than This" are the best songs on the album.

The rest are okay, but they're just *there*.

Oh yeah, "Come Undone" is pretty nice.

AisforAdrn

• Your true colors shown
  • Boots on concrete...
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 07:20:28 am »
I think all of them are amazing. Just because you can't sing a long to all of them or maybe the melody isn't her classic style doesn't mean it was a failure at all. I think you guys are way too hard on her.
Peace
Adriann

itsthefiveofus

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 10:21:25 am »
I enjoy all the songs on Heroes and Thieves!

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 10:57:28 am »
I can actually listen to H&T all the way through and enjoy it.  Of course I have my favorites The One, Home, More Than This.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 04:58:02 pm »
Vanessa wrote the songs NOT the record company. Although I did perfer H&T (the song) with just vocals and piano it turned out nice, and I agree Home was lovely! I cant think of a single overly produced song... Ok maybe it could have been a bit more piano and less synth but its all good. Hasn't anyone noticed Vanessa wirtes fo herself?! all the alblums have distinct sounds BNN, Harmonium, and H&T were all very different. Im sure some BNN fans didnt like Harmonium... We cant all be happy, but the point is (as far as we know) Vanessa is.

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 10:59:11 pm »
Quote from: "B"
There are a number of factors which play a role in the success (or non-success) of an album and artist.

I personally was surprised at how much of a failure the return of Irv Gotti and The Inc. was. What that can be attributed to, I'm not really sure. All of the previous things Irv did to promote his artists and get out into the mainstream never really developed. That could have been due to Irv not holding the keys to the castle (so to speak), the changes the industry underwent since Irv was last successful, or many other factors.

As for BnN, that CD was loaded with pop/ac type songs that could sell on the radio. While some people criticize that, that is why it sold so many records, along with the monetary push it received from A&M. I still think the original cut of Pretty Baby would have sold better than the radio remix, but I'm not a big fan of radio remixes.

Harmonium had very little monetary push, which left on the table the potential for songs such as Private Radio and Who's to Say to blow up in the mainstream. I think between Private Radio and Who's to Say V could have blown up all over again, but it never happened.

Heroes & Thieves got more monetary push than Harmonium, but other than Nolita Fairytale the CD does not have one song that would even fit in on typical pop or ac stations. That isn't to say the songs are bad, because they're not, but they're harder to sell to the mainstream because they're not cute and catchy and such.

My personal favorite album is probably Harmonium because of the growth in V's voice from 2002 to 2004, and the breadth of songs on the album.

It is truly hard to compare the three albums because they, and the circumstances surrounding them, are all different.

I agree 100% with everything you have said.  I don't get why people think H&T was messed with by The Inc.  It sounds mighty uncommercial to me, though I like it.

All I can come up with is that The Inc. was generally NOT lighting up the charts on any release, so I'm sure all Universal support disappeared.  Irv has no magic wand to wave....he probably did the best he could.  He listens to V and he GETS it; it's a shame he couldn't parlay that into big numbers, but hey, so many albums are on illegal sites I wonder why anyone bothers.  Crap, an indie album I just played on is up there on a file sharing site.  It's totally out of control.

For me, I'm glad that VC has appeared to snap out of the funk that she was in, whatever it was.  Here's to new Vanessa music!

The music biz blows dog, and it always has, except now instead of a piece of the pie, it's more like a cupcake.  If that.

Dan/NS

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Her record company
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 09:27:17 am »
People who blame The Inc for how the album sounds are blaming the wrong person.

Irv gave her 100% creative control. He didn't make her do anything with that album.

If you want to blame anybody, blame Vanessa.

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 03:38:40 pm »
Quote from: "Martin."

Irv gave her 100% creative control. He didn't make her do anything with that album.

Thank you! Voice of reason!

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 03:38:52 pm »
Sorry for a double post, I dont know how to delete it.

charmedguy18

Her record company
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 04:47:44 pm »
Quote from: "iluvvanessa"
at least she's said shes happy.

That is a very good point.

shinesobright07

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - kami_lynn713@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 12:47:28 pm »
Yeah, that's right.. I mean, if she's happy, then screw everyone else! Just as long as she can get by doing whatever she wants, then let her do it.

feishien

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 08:50:23 pm »
Quote from: "Martin."

word up.