Author Topic: Her record company  (Read 15800 times)

pswik91

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • View Profile
Her record company
« on: September 29, 2008, 06:06:16 pm »
Ok, I don't know if it's just me but, I really don't think that this new record deal with The Inc. is really helping V out.  I mean if you look at charts A&M made her over 1000000 copies of BNN, compared to like however many H&T sold.  I just think that she should just stay in her zone with the songs but like do something different and better b/c heroes and thieves wasn't that amazing.  I know that sounds mean but I love V, and I just hate to see that she's not getting enough promotion from her record company.

Cyril

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 03:03:40 am »
Everyone doesn't share your opinion.

To me, "Harmonium" and "Heroes & Thieves" are so much better than "Be Not Nobody" which wasn't exactly her album but more Ron Fair's in my opinion... I don't think that Vanessa will ever again sell a million copy of a record and I don't think that this is what she wants.

pswik91

• View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:54:54 am »
well I know that not everyone is goingo to agree with what I say, but I'm simply stating that she sold more albums with a different record label.  Look how the other two albums before heroes and thieves turned out.  All i am saying is that i enjoyed how she made harmonium, and i wish that she could've done something along those lines but not similar.  Like i wish she would just play on a regular yamaha piano like she does for all of her concerts because i love the sound of her playing on one.  that's just my opinion though lol :lol:

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:43:19 am »
I believe H & T did better than Harmonium.  Sale wise? I could be wrong, but last I checked(I didn't actually check) I belive it pushed more copies.  And I agree with the other reply to this thread, I think Harmonium and H&T are great albums, my fav from Vanessa....especially Harmonium.  She Floats and The Wreckage are just epic.  The whole album actually.  The music industry is in a completly different place than it was with BNN was released...people are not buying albums like they used too.  Maddona, Mariah and Janet are not selling albums.  So that should prove something, right?  Although I don't like those artists I do read up on this subject a lot.  It's time for artists like Vanessa who have a backbone, a dedicated fanbase to go indie and make good for themselves.  It's really the only rhode for success number wise for artists who fall on the smaller scale like Vanessa.  I believe she has it on her mind....but shes going to need to adopt the internet and all it's communities more so than she does now to really make it work.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

craft

• View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:11:39 am »
Yeah, I agree with what Cyril said. Harmonium and H&T were the best V albums, and BNN was more Ron Fair than V. I, too, think she should go independent.

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Her record company
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 09:23:14 am »
well it's just a lesson that rebounds rarely work out. V and Irv weren't a couple or anything, but after she broke up with Stephan she rebounded to Irv because he was flattering and provided support and praise, but it was short-lived. He was a lot of talk and she was feeling low so she fell for it.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
Her record company
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 11:32:53 am »
The Inc suck.

malchikgej

• AOL Instant Messenger - windsnoctourn
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nyubound101@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/windsnoctourn
    • Email
Her record company
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 11:43:22 am »
Quote from: "Hazy Eyes"
The Inc suck.

enough said.
~Your words circle in my head
And weigh so heavy on my chest
And I'm crushed by your expectation~

_all_is_well_

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 01:05:40 pm »
Quote from: "malchikgej"
Quote from: "Hazy Eyes"
The Inc suck.

enough said.

Agreed.

blueglove

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Her record company
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:16:34 pm »
Personally I think the way they changed her songs on HAT were awful. It made a too upbeat Vanessa. I think this last record, and her personality at her concerts have really turned me off from Vanessa for a while. I mean I still support her, but her last cd sucks. The music is good, but the instrumentation, and the plastic-ness of it really took its toll - EX. HOM is upbeat, and not as emotional as it could have been. I don't know I STILL think that Harm was the best and HAT was my least favorite cd.
Peace
-S

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:30 pm »
Changed her songs? Pshhh.

I agree with the rebound comment...I think she should have taken a little bit more time before jumping onto another ship.  I think H&T is amazing, and I don't think The Inc had anything to do with the way it sounded(besides the drums @ the end of Home, which I love).  I don't think she would make somebody elses' record.  It's unfair to attack the record label for Vanessas personality at shows.  A different or better label isn't going to make Vanessa a 'star' unless she looses all personal control...and becomes a mindless robot.  Who wants that? No one.  H&T was a great record..just not very marketable.  If H&T was an independent release we would see more touring, because thats how you make money when you are indie.  Usually artists on an independemt label have a 50/50 deal with their distributer.  I don't know what you guys want out of a label.  

Isntead of making 6 percent of 50,000.
Why not make 50 percent of 50,000.
25,000 x 12.00= alot of cash.

Vannesa when your back from your pregnant pause, check out redeyeusa.com
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

shinesobright07

• MSN Messenger - kami_lynn713@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 05:25:29 pm »
But how much promotion is enough promotion? Putting her face on billboards everywhere? I suppose they could've played her songs on the radio more, but you can't really force people to like it. Most people are sucked into the pop/rap crap of today, and people don't know what real music sounds like.

So is it really the Inc's fault? She had more promotion for HAT than Harmonium for sure though.. (at least from what I've seen).

pswik91

• View Profile
Her record company
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 05:27:17 pm »
i completely and totally agree with blue glove.  it's like how everyone was super excited whenever harmonium came out, because it was like omg new vanessa album how awesome!! and the singles were good too.  I was more excited then to hear all of harmonium than for hat.  I completely fell in love with the enchanting melody of a real piano instead of a whatever the hell piano she used on hat.  I mean i just wish v would go back to doing that it's her thing and it sounds so much better.  

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
Her record company
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 07:26:08 pm »
i think H&T is my favorite so i totally disagree with everyone in this thread.
the only tracks i think turned out poorly were HOM and This Time.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

cassiemoy

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • Email
Her record company
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 07:32:37 pm »
i love heroes & thieves. i dearly love harmonium, too. maybe more. but i am still very impressed by heroes & thieves and i believe it was all her. if that's the way her sound evolved, then okay. i don't think she lost creative control at all.

hm, how many times is this discussion going to come up? isn't this the third/fourth/fifth thread on this?
formerly fish_for__stars.