Author Topic: protect marriage?  (Read 27250 times)

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« on: October 07, 2008, 06:36:08 am »
i just heard a psa for the "protect marriage" prop on the radio and that is just horrible. it's a very tricky message they are sending? protect marriage? they are doing everything BUT protecting marriage. gays/lesbians should be able to marry just like anyone else...they serve their country, they pay taxes, etc....sad sad sad world.

if there is ever a draft i will NOT back a country that doesn't allow me to be myself and that does not support equality for all.

fuckkkkk i am fired up about this. how is gay/lesbian/transgender marriage going to effect the hill billy white family from louisana? it's NOT! you won't be invited to the wedding, you won't even know it's going on! These people are evil and I can't believe they could stand up for something so pointless and wrong in these times. Be yourself. I'm pro-equality which ever fucking canidate that is...and if your not for equality than fuck you.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
protect marriage?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:36:56 am »
Don't get mad about it, or you may be denying someone else their right to be themselves. :D
Dustin

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:08:58 am »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
Don't get mad about it, or you may be denying someone else their right to be themselves. :D

I don't get what you said.  I tried to make sense of it but found it impossible.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

zurielshimon

• View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:27:20 am »
Quote from: "nutnlp"

I don't get what you said.  I tried to make sense of it but found it impossible.

Ok. :D
Dustin

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:48:23 am »
Well...I guess you didn't want to elaborate.

People are evil if they want to deny two people(who they do NOT know) their love and acceptance just like everyone else...equality is a huge issue and I cannot believe we are still dealing with this today.  I can't believe it is still an issue....Why would anyone be against it anyway?  Because something some story book says? Psssh. You don't like or support gay marriage?  Well then fine, don't marry into the same safe....simple as that.

iluvvanessa

• Fine as dandelions
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nolitafairytale1
    • View Profile
    • deviant art profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:38:42 pm »
people love who they love, why deny them of that, its ridiculous, i was raised in an area where there are a lot of gays, lesbians, trans genders, and straight people, which really affects me because i know a lot of people who have, or will be denied their love it propositions such as these get passed to take away their marriage.

here in california gay marriage has been approved and is now "legal" but now the church is trying to take that away after 1,000's of people have been wed.

"Oh I'm sorry a new law has been passed and you and your partner are no longer married"

that would be terrible.

fuck these people who try to take away love from other people...

"Who's to say, that this is not our love?"

zurielshimon

• View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:23:39 pm »
I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their own lives, but just don't try to force your opinions on me.  That's who I am, and if I can't be that, then we have a problem. :D
Dustin

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
protect marriage?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 09:35:03 pm »
I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their own lives, but just don't try to force your opinions on me.  That's who I am, and if I can't be that, then we have a problem. :D

Do you mean you are against same sex marriage (I'm a bit confused by this thread as I don't know what the "protect marriage" thing is....)? What is your opinion?

I don't know what "protect marriage" would mean because so many straight couples get divorced...
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

zurielshimon

• View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 10:01:36 pm »
Quote from: "MeganJane"

Do you mean you are against same sex marriage (I'm a bit confused by this thread as I don't know what the "protect marriage" thing is....)? What is your opinion?

I don't know what "protect marriage" would mean because so many straight couples get divorced...

I think what people usually mean by protecting marriage is keeping it between a man and a woman.

Let me explain my position on the matter.  I do not personally intend to take any action against same-sex marriages.  I do not intend to ever be involved in one.  But please don't ask me to recognize one because it really doesn't make any more difference whether or not I recognize one marriage than it does another.

For example:  There are two men in a second-floor apartment just west of downtown Boston who have been living together for eight years, and now they just got married in a legal ceremony this summer.  There is a man and a woman who have been married for over twenty years living in a white vinyl-siding house on W. Maple St. in Livonia, Mich.

Doesn't either one of those marriages make any difference to me, and neither couple should care whether I think their marriage is right or wrong.  What I believe would be wrong would be for either of them to try to ram their opinion into my ear as if it would make me a better person for agreeing with them.  The couple from Michigan probably wouldn't do that, but that couple in Boston are a vocal pair.

My point is that other people are free to do as it pleases them.  I'm not going to stop them, but they shouldn't count on my approval because they don't need it.

On the other hand, the people who are against same-sex marriage have just as much right to speak their opinions and to be heard as anyone else.  This is America, and that's how it works.
Dustin

amberbeads

• AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
protect marriage?
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 07:44:55 am »
protecting marriage makes it seem as if marriage as an institution is a sacred, special bond.
which it used to be.
but as long as the church can pretend like Britney Spears' 54-hour marriage never existed cause it was a drunk mistake (read: annulment), then that doesn't sound very holy to me. I'd like to think marriage is sacred, but if you're going to corrupt the general definition in some areas you may as well rewrite the whole thing.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

zurielshimon

• View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 08:22:55 am »
Quote from: "amberbeads"
protecting marriage makes it seem as if marriage as an institution is a sacred, special bond.
which it used to be.
but as long as the church can pretend like Britney Spears' 54-hour marriage never existed cause it was a drunk mistake (read: annulment), then that doesn't sound very holy to me. I'd like to think marriage is sacred, but if you're going to corrupt the general definition in some areas you may as well rewrite the whole thing.

I can understand what you're saying.  The problem is that it's not fair to try to rewrite it for everybody, because it is still sacred to a number of people.
Dustin

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 08:25:29 am »
zurielshimon-

i understand what your saying.

the couple in boston are more 'talkative' on the issue, they like to conversate and debate about it for the simple fact that it lacks equality.  if they had the right to marry they would not talk about it, because it wouldn't be an issue....

just like women gaining the right to vote back in the day.  you only heard about it because the fact that they COULD NOT vote was not fair in the terms of equality...now that they can, you don't see any props trying to take that away from them...

I think if 20 percent of your state got to pay 1.50 for a gallon of gas, and you had to pay 3.50 and drive on a different highway and still pay the same amount of taxes every year...  you'd be a bit more vocal too. ;)

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 08:50:42 am »
I can understand what you're saying.  The problem is that it's not fair to try to rewrite it for everybody, because it is still sacred to a number of people.

I see what your saying but it's not like they are trying to take marriage rights away from man/woman marriages...all they want is to be treated equal.  to be treated like human beings.

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
protect marriage?
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 05:33:42 pm »
Quote from: "nutnlp"

I see what your saying but it's not like they are trying to take marriage rights away from man/woman marriages...all they want is to be treated equal.  to be treated like human beings.

Yes. I don't really get the issue, it's like some people think that if gays can get married, then somehow their own straight marriage is no longer meaningful... really, marriage is meaningful because of the commitment between the couple, it doesn't become meaningful because of the marriage ceremony or the papers... your marriage doesn't become less meaningful because your sister got divorced or because someone got drunk, married and anulled in Vegas, or because the lesbians down the street got married. That shouldn't affect the sacredness of your bond. I get that some people don't understand gays... I cannot understand completely because I am straight... but I didn't choose that, I just turned out that way, just like I didn't choose my skin colour or the country in which I was born, so I don't want to judge others for something they did not choose.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

zurielshimon

• View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 09:21:28 pm »
My only real problem with any gay people are the people who do actually choose to be gay simply for the attention.  I'm willing to accept that's not most gay people, but some people are just that attention hungry that they will engage in that lifestyle (or any other lifestyle, for that matter) just so people will talk about them. :x

I have to wonder, though, if there are any gay couples teaching their children that homosexuality is wrong.   :?:
Dustin