Author Topic: protect marriage?  (Read 27237 times)

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 02:42:56 pm »
gay marriage will not effect them.  the same way straight marriages don't effect gay couples.  just the simple fact that everyone should be treated equally is the only issue at hand.  if these people think gay marriage is going to effect their marriage, they are crazy...how in the world can one marriage effect the other???..besides like you said it's a bond between TWO people.  Not a band between a man & a woman.  

I don't like how America will sit and laugh there asses off to Will & Grace at night...but secretly be against it?  They're not aloud to pick & choose what they like from our culture and leave behind the burden of inequality.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 04:46:59 pm »
I don't want to get married, ever. People who do are beyond me...but anyway, if people want to get married they can, just not in a church. That's where I stand on that, the Catholic church doesn't want it and that is separate. If the church allows it...then I would as well. Weird, but thats just how I feel.

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 05:34:26 pm »
Yes, I don't believe in marriage for myself as well...but I do think it's a right that every person should have in America.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
protect marriage?
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 05:45:34 pm »
Quote from: "nutnlp"
They're not aloud to pick & choose what they like from our culture and leave behind the burden of inequality.

They're allowed to do any damned thing they want. This is America, and that's how it works.   I'm not saying it's right, but it's the truth.
Dustin

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 06:29:07 am »
It is the truth.  Because obviously it's going on everyday.  But it's just not right...

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 05:10:53 pm »
I believe in the Separation of Church and State. Government and Religion should be kept separate. People should be allowed to be married (same sex) through the Government, but not in a church or recognized by the Church which does not allow it anyway.

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
protect marriage?
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2008, 06:30:45 pm »
Quote from: "Manda"
I believe in the Separation of Church and State. Government and Religion should be kept separate. People should be allowed to be married (same sex) through the Government, but not in a church or recognized by the Church which does not allow it anyway.

Some churches do accept gays and same sex marriages. Most are too set in their ways to change their minds on the issue, but there are others who accept that people are different in many ways, and we are all equal to God. Anyway, I suppose that's another topic.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
protect marriage?
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2008, 06:47:24 pm »
I give up. This is going nowhere.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2008, 10:05:28 pm »
Marriage is between a man and a woman.  That is my belief.  It stems from my religious beliefs, as well as what I believe is best for children, society, procreation, etc.  What's more, I respect ALL dissenting opinions, and I'm not judging anyone; rather, everyone is included and I don't force my opinion on others.  I define no one by their sexual preference.  Yes, I do think some flaunt their sexuality, but I think that gives gay people a bad name.  I just saw a gay friend of mine today, and we have never, ever spoken about it.  No need.  He's simply one of the most kind and generous people on the planet.  That is what counts, not who he goes out with.

Being a hetero guy is hell enough.  I cannot imagine how difficult it is to be gay.  It is no choice, IMO...you are who you are.  If I were gay, I would most certainly want the rights that everyone else has.  I'll always be of two minds about gay marriage. but it will never be the #1 thing on my mind.  Being a good person is, though I don't always succeed.

Unlike many of you, I've been married already, so I have a different viewpoint.  I know that lawyers can't wait for more people to be able to be married......so they can make tons of money divorcing people!

I generally avoid religious or political discussions.  I see things getting somewhat heated here.  I dunno, I'm an old dude and I hate to see things get too out of hand because as time goes on, I see both sides of each issue.  I have my own sense of morality, but it doesn't get me down much on others, because everyone's situation is different and everyone's answer to life's problems is different.

Dan/NS

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 07:57:50 am »
I respect everyone who contributed to this thread..thanks for your mind, words and truths.  Just something I can't believe is an issue with all the more important scarce things going on in the world...

tylor2000

• View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2008, 09:22:41 am »
The people who are against gay marriage believe it is sacrilegious and the people are for it are caught up over a name.  The difference in law for marriage and civil unions vary from state to state, but even if they are completely the same in some locations, supporters still have a problem with it.  

It's pretty petty either way because of the variance of churches in the United States and in the standing of each in the law.  We might as well re-institute bigotry on the same grounds.

I've known people who were hetrosexuals who have opted for a civil union, even if it is less common, because they wanted it to be a non-religious bond. So civil unions aren't just about gay people.

Even within the gay community people are mixed on this issue.  Who cares what it is called!  Obviously a few gay couples who have nothing better to do then bring up a huge argument over something so trivial, which as a group seems to be a common trait: pitter pattering over absolutely nothing in order to have an excuse to complain about something.  Drama, drama, and more drama.

:lol:

It has nothing to do with equal rights.  It's about how everyone is a victim in america.

tylor2000

• View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 09:46:13 am »
So this brings up a whole other issue.  What do you think about gay people and their right to religious expression?  Is this really about religious expression?  What is the difference between this and people's claims to have a marriage with one or more partners, like as in bigorty, where men can have more than one wife?

zurielshimon

• AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
protect marriage?
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 09:32:59 pm »
Finally, people are saying things that are constructive and actually make sense! I think it's probably safe to say that this discussion is nearing its meaningful end. I mean, what else can really be said that isn't either total nonsense or just a reiteration of something that's already been stated?
Dustin

tylor2000

• View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 08:47:44 am »
I'm surprized it took you guys three pages to make them.

And yeah, I'm reiterating on purpose.  Good summary of what's been said.

NoelleNC

• You aren't tryin'
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Noelle1822
    • View Profile
protect marriage?
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 01:58:07 pm »
Quote from: "zurielshimon"
If this is how people are going to try to define a marriage, then there needs to be a special word that describes only a union between a man and a woman that can in no context be used to describe two men or two women.  Not a phrase or a fabricated compound word, but one real word, something that only a man and a woman can be and no one else.

This is why I support marriage and garriage. =D

I just think -and say whatever you wanna say, I am not going to try and legislate this, it's just my opinion - that there IS a fundamental difference between the bond a man and woman share and the bond gay couples have. Even if there was no discrimination involved, I still think there would be inherent differences and I think it is unfair to act like the bonds are exactly the same by naming them exactly the same way. And I don't personally care much what the two different words are, I am not religious. We could get rid of marriage entirely and just make up two new words, but I love words and I love detail, and I don't see why we have to expand one word to suit everyone when we could just make up a new word or version of the word to define the nuances of a gay bond. Not worse, not better, just not exactly the same.

Gays want me to think that their love is exactly the same as heterosexual's love and while I think, sure, it's similar in many ways, it's different too. People are so afraid different is bad because of prior race issues or something. I'm just saying there are slight differences given the setup of the relationship.

I'm not fuming over the matter and really don't care but I've always wished that there will remain a way to define what I have with my husband as something between a man and woman, just for the sake of clarity.